Poor running 93 ST1100 driving me nuts!!!!

Started the bike in southern Utah after sitting for a few months and it was rough running. Had a bad constant speed miss. Tried the Sea Foam treatment without much help. Sync carbs. No real improvement. Pulled the carbs, lots of rusty looking crap in bowls, 2 pilot (low speed) jets were plugged with crap. Blew out the whole assembly with carb cleaner, cleaned all jets and re-assembled. Fired up the bike and tho it runs better still not like it should be!! I can hear one cyl. drop out at no load constant speed. Any added throttle and she runs fine. Have new plugs, spark looks great, syc is good... Not sure where to go from this point? Wonder if I might have a crack in one of the diaphrams??????? HELP PLEASE!!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
What Karen said.
I'd test for a leak with a can of carb cleaner and a long tube, spray around those boots and see if the idle/sound changes indicating a leak.

OP
OP
Installed new boots when cleaning carbs.... Anything else you guys can think of???

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Ahhh how do I say this gently... new boots do not mean you don't have an air leak.

Please do not ask me how I know this!

OP
OP
Will do a bit more checking on the air leak.. I did notice the plug wires don't seem too good (some cracks) I can't see any electrical leaks and I can't figure how this would cause the "unloaded" failure I am having but wonder about it???? Have it pretty much nailed down to #2..

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Did you re-sync the carbs after cleaning them? Be sure and check the other smaller vacuum hoses.

Bike
92 ST1100
Started the bike in southern Utah after sitting for a few months and it was rough running. Had a bad constant speed miss. Tried the Sea Foam treatment without much help. Sync carbs. No real improvement. Pulled the carbs, lots of rusty looking crap in bowls, 2 pilot (low speed) jets were plugged with crap. Blew out the whole assembly with carb cleaner, cleaned all jets and re-assembled. Fired up the bike and tho it runs better still not like it should be!! I can hear one cyl. drop out at no load constant speed. Any added throttle and she runs fine. Have new plugs, spark looks great, syc is good... Not sure where to go from this point? Wonder if I might have a crack in one of the diaphrams??????? HELP PLEASE!!
Just went thru this two days ago with my XS11. Didn't think i would see it happen in this location for at least a while longer. Carbs were plugged up tighter thana drum with green and black junk from seperation. Good chance your gonna have to pull that carb bank and go back through them again, specially if you didn't dump the tank out. With the tank out, you may also wanna slosh a gallon of EvapoRust around the inside of the tank(doesn't affect paint and won't hurt the pump).

OP
OP
Good call... Pulled the carbs AGAIN and found low speed jet on # 2 plugged. Blew it all out, fresh gas with Sea Foam and back together. Runs great now but certainly is a pisser having to run this crap for gas.. We should lynch the EPA for this one.. The good side is I can now get the carbs in and out in 2 hrs... THX for all the ideas.

Bike
92 ST1100
Good call... Pulled the carbs AGAIN and found low speed jet on # 2 plugged. Blew it all out, fresh gas with Sea Foam and back together. Runs great now but certainly is a pisser having to run this crap for gas.. We should lynch the EPA for this one.. The good side is I can now get the carbs in and out in 2 hrs... THX for all the ideas.
Glad to hear you got it resolved! If not, next was the infamous 'tripple-clean', pulling all jets and the emulsion tubes, as they WILL plug solid in in the idle/main jets along with plugging the holes in the emulsion tubes. (The enricher circuit was even plugged in the bank of Mikunis off my XS11.) Nasty crap to say the least, and hadn't sat idle all that long. Needless to say, new gas treated with StarTron should resolve any future fuel issues while setting for periods of time

Top Bottom