Popping sound

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
I have noticed a popping sound SOME times when starting from a stop. It sounds like metal too metal. I think is is slack in the drive line and with out tearing it apart just thought someone might have an idea. My first thought is the cush drive. Also looking at the parts book it shows two pieces in the cush drive and 5 of each one is the price for 1 or a 5 pack?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I've never had the pleasure myself so I can't describe the exact symptom, but what you describe could be a failing U-joint. And unfortunately, the price of the items you mentioned are for each piece, not a set of 5.

Bike
VStrom 650
TNBill, put it on the centre stand and put it in gear. By rocking the wheel back'ards and for'ards you should be able to feel/hear any slop etc. Although if there is unwanted movement or sound the next thing will involve spanners.
And Moly, Oooohhhhhh we haven't had a moly thread in at least a week.....
Upt'North.

OP
OP

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
I have had it on the center stand and cannot make it pop. It does IMHO have a fair amount of slack. It is a 54000 mile bike so i would not expect to find a u joint problem but who knows with the age of it. Like i stated it is only occasionally it does it which why i was asking the knowledge base here. I am not new to spanners mechaniced al my life in transmissions and engines.

Bike
VStrom 650
I have had it on the center stand and cannot make it pop. It does IMHO have a fair amount of slack. It is a 54000 mile bike so i would not expect to find a u joint problem but who knows with the age of it. Like i stated it is only occasionally it does it which why i was asking the knowledge base here. I am not new to spanners mechaniced al my life in transmissions and engines.
They will all have a bit of slack TNBill, hang on............just checked, in 1st gear mine has about 1" of slack at 70,000 miles. Dave Silvers in the US of A might sell pattern rubbers etc if required.
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
Worth mentioning too,
The clutch can groan, although there is some thought that it might be the primary shaft spring too, if you take off like a scalded cat. Mine can certainly groan a little if you try hard enough.
Upt'North.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Cush rubbers give more of a clunk when starting off, but pulling the wheel for an inspection would be a good place to start. If the rubbers are at all loose in their pockets, they are done. Replace all and the aluminum inserts as well.

Bike
91 ST1100
STOC #
Could this be the famous "clunk" sound that is caused by weakened clutch springs? Mine does it occasionally when starting from a dead stop. I have a '91 with 90+K miles on the original clutch springs.

OP
OP

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
I sure hope its NOT that after looking in the service manual. I checked how much backlash at the rear wheel in first gear and measured about 1 1/2 inch of rotation.

Cush drive shouldn't pop, but likely new cush rubbers wouldn't hurt. Good chance the spring in the primary shaft is getting weak..... new ones not available, so what you could do is preload it some more with washer item 10.

OP
OP

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
I looked at the parts book and dont see any damper springs so are you talking about the apply springs? if so I dont see that as causing the noise I am getting.

Could this be the famous "clunk" sound that is caused by weakened clutch springs? Mine does it occasionally when starting from a dead stop. I have a '91 with 90+K miles on the original clutch springs.

Bike
VStrom 650
This is the primary shaft which is thought to be responsible for some of the clunking and groans from within.
The 1.5 inches sounds slightly excessive but could just be rubbers.
Good luck fella.
Upt'North.
IMG_20220421_202753.jpg

OP
OP

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
Like i stated i sure hope its not that. My first stop on this journey will be the rear wheel.
This is the primary shaft which is thought to be responsible for some of the clunking and groans from within.
The 1.5 inches sounds slightly excessive but could just be rubbers.
Good luck fella.
Upt'North.
IMG_20220421_202753.jpg

Top Bottom