Possible Brake Drag????

Bike
07 ST1300A
I have been noticing some off and on humming and roaring sounds from the rear of my 07 ST. The fuel mileage is staying at about 40-41 mpg. I have recently returned from a trip to the Smokies(dragon, Cherohola ect..) When I returned I noticed a lot of brake dust on the rear hub and caliper. I plan to remove the rear wheel tonight and clean the pistons and make sure they are functioning properly. Is there anything else I may want to check to help resolve this? Or does anyone think it is a different issue.

Thanks Tim

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have been noticing some off and on humming and roaring sounds from the rear of my 07 ST. The fuel mileage is staying at about 40-41 mpg. I have recently returned from a trip to the Smokies(dragon, Cherohola ect..) When I returned I noticed a lot of brake dust on the rear hub and caliper. I plan to remove the rear wheel tonight and clean the pistons and make sure they are functioning properly. Is there anything else I may want to check to help resolve this? Or does anyone think it is a different issue.

Thanks Tim
Check the SMC on the left front caliper (search threads) After cleaning all the pistons and calipers (do front and rear), remove the left front caliper and check the needle bearings on the bottom pivot point.
Alot of times I find these bone dry, galding the bushing, and causing binding, thus working the SMC, causing the rear brakes to drag?
when you check your rear pads, check to see if they are wearing evenly or are wedged shaped.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If you're playing in the twisties, you're using your brakes often .. so more brake dust than usual is probably normal.

A hum, is typically your tires cupping as they wear do to the forces of braking and acceleration affecting your tires, you might also not have them at the proper pressure which most run 42 front/rear on most tires.

After about 4-5k miles on a tire, I start to hear a hum as soon as I begin to lean the bike over, if that's what you're hearing and it goes a way when you stand the bike up, it's probably just tires wearing.

Top Bottom