Possible radio install question??

ST Dan

2 summers 50k+ miles 48 states
Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
welcome to the site!

you might want to do a search under the farkle Audio sub forum...I know someone posted there about doing what you described.

H20SKIER

Bob
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
My Buddy got his ST1300 in NJ when they first came out in 03. He ordered a radio from Europe this is a Honda radio and had all the wires that plugged right into the bike wire harness The head mounts on the left handlebar. The only weird thing is that is has 4 numbers instead of three for the staions. He does not have any speakers on the bike but has them in his helmet. Good Luck.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I was going to do the same thing on my 04 but went with XM Sat radio and a comm system. I had a Car radio on my PC 800 with speakers in the dash. When I would get over 80 mph, it was hard to hear. With the comm system, 80 is clear as a bell. I use the FM radio on my MP3 player when I am in the big city and I want local radio.

When I was looking at the Car radio side, a Sony will JUST fit inside the left side pocket. You will have to take the pocket out of the bike to mount it. Sony makes a marine remote that will work with the radio. Others have used other brand radios. Do not get the Honda speakers. They are junk. I think David Silver in the UK sells the speaker boxes that fit the ST. Some have made it work without the boxes.

STOC #
Hey, no offense meant, but if you're willing to eliminate a bike as a possible next ride because you can't mount a stereo in it, I think you're kinda missing the point.

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
The front left fairing pocket will fit a car stereo. I have pics here somewhere. Search my username, you should find them. And "gnorts" is right, don't buy a bike for its features, anything can be added to any motorcycle.

Tom de

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
You can add speakers in those areas. To make it easy you may want to just order the Honda ones and then get your own radio setup. I have an install sheet for the speakers but I can't find it right now. I can include it later if you want it. I'll attach the radio manual if you're interested in looking at it. It may come in handy.

I know I've seen a picture where someone had put in a radio. There are MP3 players with a radio in it but maybe you're looking for better reception. I just use a little Sony radio I found that very cheap and has big buttons but it's only good for commuting.

Are you planning a full blown "real" radio install like a small car stereo?

Here's David Silver Spares Front Speaker Set for the ST1300

Curt

Top Bottom