Post Your Funny ATGATT Encounters!

Bike
2020 BMW K1600GTL
I recently had a crash, described elsewhere, and after a bit of time to assess the damage (to me, screw the bike at this point) I sat up, extremely angry, and yelled at any passing deity to impose eternal damnation on 'it.'

A bystander approaching to help said to me, with a bit of a smile, "I don't know what I expected, but that wasn't it."

Without ATG, I think my reaction would have been very different. In fact, judging from the damage to my gear, I'm not sure I would have had a reaction and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been smiling. :D

Bike
'05 ST1300
Was in the right lane approaching an intersection. Traffic was merging from the merge lane. I went through the intersection, then got in the left lane to make it easier for the people in the merge lane. This lady, on a cell phone, merged into the right lane. Then she applied her left turn signal, and started to merge into the left lane, and into me!. I blew me STebel, and she swerved to the right, then to the left again! I blew my STebel again, and she swerved to the right, then left, then finally settled back in the right lane. I decided not to pass her on the left, that she was insane, and to drop back, move over to the right lane, and let her do whatever she was going to do. There was no angry gestures exchanged or anything. I didn't do anything aggressive, and she never got off her phone. Then I realized my headlight modulator wasn't on. It hadn't been working, but I had it fixed last week. So I turned it on. The lady pulled over!!!

Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Hmmm...this photo gives me deja vu. Did we talk about snowmobiles last winter on rec.motorcycles?
Yup. Deja vu all over again. I go by "Stupendous Man" there. It's quiet with all the kooks filtered out, but still usually good for a laugh and occasionally something interesting.

As to the modulator, I have seen it alert so many "sleep drivers" that i would feel naked without one. My "P" model has a "headlamp warning" circuit, all i had to do was wire it to an unused police switch and it works. It works by flashing the high beams when the low beams are on, technically not a true modulation, but as the low beams never turns off the effect is the same. I have read that the "ramping efffect" of a true modulation is far better for the bulb filaments, but at 8K miles they still work. Also it's not really legal as it has no automatic light sensor to shut it off at night, but I don't want it on then anyway, unless I am watching stupid drunk tricks.

mbw919

Martin
Bike
'07 ST1300
Yup. Deja vu all over again. I go by "Stupendous Man" there. It's quiet with all the kooks filtered out, but still usually good for a laugh and occasionally something interesting.
It's a small world after all! I still lurk there daily.

In an attempt to get back on topic I'll mention an ATGATT encounter. Last weekend, my wife and I were out for a ride on the ST and stopped by the multi-brand motorcycle/ATV/PWC/snowmobile dealership where we bought her Ski-Doo. As we browsed the showroom with our jackets off and slung over our shoulders, a couple young employees expressed their surprise that we were wearing jackets on such a hot day (70 F). We happened to be near some snowmobiles on display so the young woman employee asked if we were dressed for snowmobiling and just couldn't wait for snow.

Last edited:

Pepe'

Jabberwockey knowledgeable
Bike
2006 ST1300R
Several of us wore our helmets on a roller coaster in our youth. Told the other customers that we were the safety inspectors. We only got away with it because we worked there. Left some rather curious onlookers though.

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
In a Utah gas station last week, standing at a gas pump wearing the Roadcrafter:

Guy at other pump: "You look hot in that thing!"

EASt: "Thanks!"
Way better and to the point than my cheesy usual...

"Usually everyone says I look hot out of this thing."

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS
Had a Jay Leno moment a few days ago in Belair MD. I saw a fellow riding a scooter without a helmet. Not funny? Well get this: he WAS wearing a NECK BRACE! I suppose if the neck brace was tight enough it would prevent his brains from falling out of his ***.
Posted via Mobile Device

STBernard

BlewBayou
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
My AGATT story

Long ago, in another generation, I had these snazzy red, white and blue 2-piece leathers that matched my RWB colored VFR Inteceptor. I rode some 25 plus miles to work every day and back and looked hot...(also)

Anyway, one day I get to work and noticed I forgot something I usually carried in my tank bag...... so all morning long (until Nordstroms opened at 10:00) I am walking around at work in my dress shirt and tie, with my leather red, white and blue pants on.

I forgot to pack my dress pants as I usually changed when I got to work. It makes an interesting story at parties... I got all the way to work before I realized I forgot my pants at home!

I was at the door when Nordstroms opened and picked up a new pair of navy slacks for the rest of the afternoon.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I needed to deliver something to my x-wife and her girlfriend who were staying at a resort condo--a good excuse to ride. It was a warm day in Dever but cool at high elevations in the mountains. I had my full mesh gear on, with a layer of UA heat gear underneath. By the time I got to the condo I was pretty warm and commented as such. My x-wife said "you look hot." I didn't get it until months later while dating her again, and putting my gear on for a ride she said the same thing.

We have since remarried.

Be careful when wearing your full gear around your x-wife, boys... :crackup

Bike
BMW R1200RT
I don't have any real great stories like all of you do, but one night while gassing up the bike at a local service station, wearing my black fieldsheer over pants, black and silver Teknik jacket and fullface helmet, I overheard a comment about "Darth Vaders cousin".

STBernard

BlewBayou
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
You shoulda replied :"I am your UNCLE"

:popcorn

I don't have any real great stories like all of you do, but one night while gassing up the bike at a local service station, wearing my black fieldsheer over pants, black and silver Teknik jacket and fullface helmet, I overheard a comment about "Darth Vaders cousin".

kieth

Autocom
I got off the bike and went into the store at Red River, NM. I wear a fluorescent yellow stich, this lady asked me? How is it going, I said great, she said no, how is it going, I said we love NM, the roads are great and we are having a lot of fun. she said no, how are the fires ? she thought I was a forest ranger fire fighter.........

step.leahy

ST3P
Bike
ST1300 2004
I used to reply that "I like to get up and walk away after a bounce and slide down the road". After walking away after a near head on which wrote of my bike and the car I hit they no longer ask.

Most of the time I get "A bit wet for riding" as I get into the lift from the carpark as I arrive at work. The other occupants are wet from running to work from cars or trams in the rain. Melbourne is usually too windy for umbrellas to survive too long. I then start peeling off the dri-rider to reveal that I'm warm and dry underneath.

Bike
05 St1300
Aug 09, Hells Canyon, 109 degrees, 4 bikes, 7 people. 3 male, 4 female. We all decide to jump in the river. Women sit down to take off boots, riding gear, put up hair and walk slowly into the water. Us guys jump out of our boots and run into the water diving head first. We repeated this every 45 miles that afternoon. Our 1 piece mesh suits would be bone dry within 15 mins. After this being repeated 3 or 4 times we stopped at a place with no less than 50 people at an obvious swimming hole. Heads turned as we "ALL" at this point almost in a choreographed unison jump out of our boots and jump in the water. As we all walk out of the water again the heads turn and are glued on 7 people. One couple, obviously sitting watching their grandchildren, are fixated on us as we approach. One little kid says "Grammy, those is funny bathing suits" followed by her reply "Those ARE funny bathing suits" followed by Grandpa, "Those ain't bathing suits" followed by her "Those Aren't bathing suits, they probably ain't wearing nothing underneath" At this point 2 kids, one grandfather all in very loud voices say "They AREN'T wearing ANYTHING underneath" Without missing a beat 3 or 4 of us just shook our heads and said "That's right" It was funny how many had been listening to this exchange and how many just started laughing. Everyone but Grandma. She was convinced everyone was laughing at her.

Quicksilver

Caped Crusader
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
As some of you know I ride in a rather "unique" riding suit.

It gets me instant celebrity status.

It is a real armored suit, in fact it saved my life last October, after being T-boned in a intersection at speed.

The two that stand out are being delayed for 20 minutes at a gas stop in Ely NV for people to line up to have pictures taken with their kids.. while the rest of the group waits patienly (or maybe not) while even the adults where getting into the pics.

One couple said they came up behind me, and figured that it was two people riding double because of the shoulder profile, and when the came around to pass, almost went off the road when they saw what it was. The hubby, that was driving, is a huge fan of the Bat...and doubled back to meet me when they saw me turn into the gas station.

The other was the look of surprise, and astonishment, from the ambulance drivers that where parked up in a parking lot above the intersection of the accedent, and saw the whole thing. I was already up walking towards them, as they came out of the wagon, when one of them exclaimed " Holy s***, its real!!" The other one told me a few minutes later it " Spooked the hell out of them"

Funny stuff right there I tell ya.:eek:4:

There are dozens more but I'll save those for Westoc.

You guys think ya got stories...

Try riding around in one of these...:shock:

Doug

Top Bottom