Potential Bad Battery?

OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I will give the battery "tester" a look. I have several "things" that use batteries for starting and it would be helpful to be able to see the "capacity" of the battery. I have used the voltmeter as a reference (see how low it gets during starting and seeing how it is without battery charger) but load testers are the only real way to load test without using the device you are connected to.

That all being said, I just spoke with the shop I have been doing this type of business with over the last five years or so and a new Yuasa is $220 or so. I opted for another brand (actually forgot the brand right now). We shall see how the battery "lasts".

Time well tell.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I will give the battery "tester" a look. I have several "things" that use batteries for starting and it would be helpful to be able to see the "capacity" of the battery. I have used the voltmeter as a reference (see how low it gets during starting and seeing how it is without battery charger) but load testers are the only real way to load test without using the device you are connected to.
I just gave you a preamble on what these devices can do.
I tried to find the you tube video on what sold me on this device years ago when I purchased my BA7
It was a guy working on a Mercedes Benz.
Here is a sample on what these BA9 are capable of doing.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
He said that he never found any helpful explanation of how these testers work.
I am curious how it performs a load test to determine the condition of the battery without applying a load.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm not saying "It's aliens" but it's the battery.

You observed your digital info resetting. While cranking the voltage dropped to < 10V. After some running it measured < 13V. You've confirmed your alternator is charging. These are all classic hallmarks of a failing battery. Bad connections also be a culprit and it's a not a bad idea to clean house now and then. But it's the battery Jim.

I've not yet had to replace a battery in my ST but have done so in my 23yr old car twice. Having the cables off both for various reasons I always like to "square" the cable connectors with the terminals. Makes me feel like I've really done something.

As batteries age the time between active riding and sitting makes starting a vehicle harder. I keep my bike on a tender aka life support but not my car. It may come to that.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Here is a sample on what these BA9 are capable of doing.
He said it would be a short video. :rofl1: It would have been with a better narrator. But FFWD works and it was informative. Thanks for that.

OP
OP
jfheilman

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I replaced the battery today with a BS BTZ14S. I forgot that it was both easy and hard. Easy once I remembered how. And there are several "additional" wires that makes it a little harder.

I cranked it up to verify operation and the starting activity was much, much better. Sounded like it should.

Its on the Battery Tender Jr. There was a date on the battery I removed. It was 1/27/2019. So, the battery I replaced was probably four years old.

Attachments

Top Bottom