Powerlet Socket

Hi everyone:
I am a new/used ST1300 owner. A buddy of mine passed away a few weeks ago and I bought it from his wife. I had a 2017 BMW R1200GS before that but is was tool tall for my comfort level. I had the BMW fitted out with a coupe of Powerlet sockets so I could have heated clothing for my wife and I. I have been scouring the internet for an appropriate Powerlet sockets to run both our heat at the same time. I saw one double socket that seems to be mounted on the shock. I thought that this might be the place to ask that question.
Ron

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Welcome to the forum from the East Coast. Sorry to hear about your buddy.
Are you looking for powerlet sockets for BMW gear?
I've seen singles, but never doubles.

Bike
2005 st1300
I believe this is what you are looking for Ron. Unfortunately, Powerlet went out of business in '18, but then re-emerged in '19 but that item has never been seen since. If you can email them, they may still be able to get you one. Thats about all you could do for now I think. When they went under, they were clearing stuff out and those were were going for fire-sale prices. I ordered one just to get an email an hour later saying I was too late... out of stock

Brent

Bike
2006 ST1300 basic bl
What kind of connections are on your heated gear??

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Another name for the Powerlet type plug is "Hella DIN".
If you do a google search with that in mind, you can find several sources.
At one time, you could get them at a John Deere dealer but I don't know if that is still the case.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The plug is a DIN plug being the German standard - Deutsches Instiut für Normung. It's also referred to as a Hella/Powerlet/BMW/John Deere plug. Not branded but sold by them.

As Bmacleod stated that Powerlet kit was only available from them and may be hard to source. New it was $110 or so. At the fire sale it went for about half. If your ST1300 is 2007 or earlier the kit would be readily installed. If it is 2008 or later there's a small panel that would have to be removed to use that dual plug kit.

Short of finding the kit - if your heated gear uses a coax plug an option would be mounting a port fore and aft to be easily accessible by both rider and pillion. They're a lot cheaper than that kit and probably easier to access once installed. If your heated gear uses SAE connectors it would be worth converting them to coaxials.

BTW in the space provided for your location and age you can also include your bike's year/model. It's handy for those who want to help you.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Be aware that most of the pigtails from Powerlet to SAE are low amps designed only to allow the connection of a battery tender, and may not reliably run heated gear. I ended up making my own using a Powerlet male end I found online and wiring it into an extra SAE wiring harness I had laying around. This would only be applicable to you if your heated gear ends are SAE.

Bike
2005 st1300
As Bmacleod stated that Powerlet kit was only available from them and may be hard to source. New it was $110 or so. At the fire sale it went for about half. If your ST1300 is 2007 or earlier the kit would be readily installed. If it is 2008 or later there's a small panel that would have to be removed to use that dual plug kit.
Actually, I found the post from when we were discussing this back then and the bracket was going for $10. The sockets were extra and I seem to think they were $10 also. It was a steal.
Here is the original post where we talked about this piece. Obviously the links are mostly dead. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/dual-power-outlets.156410/

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
You could always make the same thing. A piece of flat aluminum, bend the tab to secure to the frame, and then drill the holes for the two plugs.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
You could always make the same thing. A piece of flat aluminum, bend the tab to secure to the frame, and then drill the holes for the two plugs.
I was fortunate enough to find the double socket outlet for mounting to the shock from Powerlet Canada a few years ago. I didn’t pay much for it! Easy to install and can handle two sets of heated gear. Each socket was 15 amp. Good luck in your search!
J

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
My 2008 1300A was left original and un-farkeled.
I have been scouring these pages, searching for *photos* of different mounting options.
I'm reluctant to modify the left and right storage bins, but might do that in the end. I'm comfortable drilling into the fairing, and mounting there - where are y'all putting your power outlets?
In the winter, I'll want to power some Warm N Safe electric gloves and vest, but mostly will power GPS and phone charger.
Would love to see photos of your setup. Thanks! ;)

JRman

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" - Possum Lodge
Bike
2007 ST1300
My 2008 1300A was left original and un-farkeled.
I have been scouring these pages, searching for *photos* of different mounting options.
I'm reluctant to modify the left and right storage bins, but might do that in the end. I'm comfortable drilling into the fairing, and mounting there - where are y'all putting your power outlets?
In the winter, I'll want to power some Warm N Safe electric gloves and vest, but mostly will power GPS and phone charger.
Would love to see photos of your setup. Thanks! ;)
Just purchased a 2007 Silver ST1300 from the 2nd owner - which broke 15,000Km on the way to it's new home! My first ride was as amazing as I hoped it would be and looking forward to doubling that mileage by this time next year. The bike is almost bone stock - heli bars are the only thing I can find. I too am looking to add a 12V outlet and very interested in seeing other owners setups.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I too am looking to add a 12V outlet and very interested in seeing other owners setups.
Ended up installing mine just below the right fairing pocket which is where I had envisioned it.
This allows me easy access to a device mounted to the handlebars (camera, phone, etc.) or to the RAM X-mount.
As one of my very first farkles, I ran it straight to battery, but now I have the quartet harness as well as a fuse block, so the power will be moving off the battery terminals.
Once some light appears down here, I'll add a photo.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I fabbed a powerlet to plug into my 50A connector I use for charging/jumping. 862543C3-3274-4493-AC2B-E905F095174E.jpeg52207BC5-A9A1-474F-9936-056C6F8810F8.jpegE4FACD1F-7FD7-405A-A437-019967ADC55C.jpeg

JRman

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" - Possum Lodge
Bike
2007 ST1300
(Later today...)
The pics I promised. Standard, nothin' special, but convenient.
20210822_180609.jpg
20210822_180624.jpg
20210822_180641.jpg
Appreciate that - this location is certainly a great option. I'll have to do some noodling on this - the bike is still so new in my possession that I've yet to fully determine what my power needs will be. At this stage I'll be running my Car GPS on a ram mount off a 1" ball on the heli bar riser (dead centre between the bars) so need a 12V cig style plug in - eventually I'll get another Zumo and hard wire it in so it turns off with the ignition as I did with my last bike (and sold it with the bike).

Top Bottom