Powerlet ST1300 Right Front Panel Kit

CaST

My first risers
Bike
ST1300A
Has anybody installed this? I bought it and I am curious as to any gotchas.

Thanks,

Patrick

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
phurley said:
Has anybody installed this? I bought it and I am curious as to any gotchas.

Thanks,

Patrick
Got a link? Picture? To answer your question, no I haven't installed it but I was planning on it at some point I think. I know many people have so I'll let them pipe up.

Curt

OP
OP
CaST

CaST

My first risers
Bike
ST1300A
I am powering the Garmin 2610 and will use it for recharging a cell phone too.

Two questions:

What is the cable loom for?

Any issues with drilling the plastic?

Thanks,

Patrick

I have it and use it every time I ride. It is well worth the money and effort required to install it. Install is very straight forward. I didn't even have to pull off all the right side tupperware. Loosening the panels was enough to insert the wires. I think I put my hands in through the opennings above the right cylinder heads.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
phurley said:
I am powering the Garmin 2610 and will use it for recharging a cell phone too.

Two questions:

What is the cable loom for?

Any issues with drilling the plastic?

Thanks,

Patrick
The cable loom is just to keep the wiring to the plug neat and tidy. I would recommend what I think they call a step bit for drilling the plastic. It looks like a cone but has steps in it starting at about an 1/8" to about 7/8". Highly recommended for drilling sheet metal and plastic.

Curt

OP
OP
CaST

CaST

My first risers
Bike
ST1300A
crazykz said:
The cable loom is just to keep the wiring to the plug neat and tidy. I would recommend what I think they call a step bit for drilling the plastic. It looks like a cone but has steps in it starting at about an 1/8" to about 7/8". Highly recommended for drilling sheet metal and plastic.

Curt
Have you drilled the ST1300's plastic before too Curt?

I was hoping Leo would share his experience with the drilling when he installed the Powerlet plug.

Thanks,

OP
OP
CaST

CaST

My first risers
Bike
ST1300A
AgSTreak said:
You posted this twice. Drilling using a Sears hole saw was simple. Just take your time.
Sorry for posting twice. I put it in the general and then realized it was probably more suited for farkles.

:spank1:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
phurley said:
Sorry for posting twice. I put it in the general and then realized it was probably more suited for farkles.

:spank1:
I combined the two posts for you and removed the dup.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Blackdog said:
I drilled it with an ordinary butterfly bit. No problems.
On my ST, when I had it, I drilled one powerlet on each side so I could plug in my battery tender or heated gear, or pump for camping air mattress.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
phurley said:
Have you drilled the ST1300's plastic before too Curt?

I was hoping Leo would share his experience with the drilling when he installed the Powerlet plug.

Thanks,
Here's a link to a step drill bit. They come in different sizes so make sure you get one that has the size hole you're looking for. I wouldn't do without mine now. It's almost impossible to screw up drilling a hole in plastic with it.

Curt

Step Drill Bit

I did it late one night and didn't have the right size drill bit, so I just used the Dremel and it turned out nice.

OP
OP
CaST

CaST

My first risers
Bike
ST1300A
Blackdog said:
I drilled it with an ordinary butterfly bit. No problems.
What's a butterfly bit? Is that the same as a flat wood bit?

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
phurley said:
What's a butterfly bit? Is that the same as a flat wood bit?
I believe that is the case but don't quote me on that one. If you get the step bit you'll find a use for it about every couple of months. ;)

Curt

OP
OP
CaST

CaST

My first risers
Bike
ST1300A
crazykz said:
I believe that is the case but don't quote me on that one. If you get the step bit you'll find a use for it about every couple of months. ;)

Curt
I'm sold! I actually was thinking about getting it today but I am running low on cash because my bike has become like my boat.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
phurley said:
I'm sold! I actually was thinking about getting it today but I am running low on cash because my bike has become like my boat.
Boy I know the feeling. I thought I was done farkling but now the list is starting to build again. Here's the winter list I have going.

1. Replace the LED reflectors on the front of the bike (didn't RTV the wiring holes and they shorted out on one side. oops)

2. Get PIAA 910's with the BLM brackets. Joe at spoiledbiker.com has done some of the research on this setup for me so I'll most likely hit him up for the setup but have to raise the cash first.

3. Alaskan Leather seat cover. Really need to try something because of this doesn't work I'm most likely getting rid of the Sargent. It just doesn't work for me the way it's designed. I know others love theirs so I know it's a good seat it's just not for me.

4. Look for a possible coolant leak

5. Clean and wax, clean and wax. Ugh.

Curt

Top Bottom