PR5 GT Front no longer available

Bike
2010 ST1300
I ordered a PR5GT online only to receive a cancellation email. I checked other online vendors but the 120/70zr18 GT is unobtainium :( I can get a PR4 $155 or PR6 $230 front locally.
If I mix numbers will I notice?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
You won’t notice. If anything you will see an increase in mileage over the ROAD 5. I’ve been running a ROAD 6 on the front of my RT for 11,600 miles with a good amount of tread depth left. The rear is a ROAD 5. The two previous front ROAD 5s went about 10,000 and 11,000 miles respectively.

Michelin dropped the PILOT Road name for a series of tires something like 4 years ago with the introduction of the ROAD 5. The last PILOT Road in that series was the PILOT ROAD 4. If there is any question of the series look at the sidewall of the tire. Michelin prominently displays the name.

The front Road 6 now incorporates the 2CT+ feature of a layer of the hard center compound underlying the softer outer compound sections then the hard compound being thicker and wrapping around the edge of the tread. This stiffens the soft compound tread face at high lean angles thus increasing grip, wear, and feedback to the rider. For those reasons the Pilot Road 4 would be an inferior tire matched with a Road 5 rear in my opinion. The Road 5 rears already have 2CT+ construction.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
You won’t notice. If anything you will see an increase in mileage over the ROAD 5. I’ve been running a ROAD 6 on the front of my RT for 11,600 miles with a good amount of tread depth left. The rear is a ROAD 5. The two previous front ROAD 5s went about 10,000 and 11,000 miles respectively.

Michelin dropped the PILOT Road name for a series of tires something like 4 years ago with the introduction of the ROAD 5. The last PILOT Road in that series was the PILOT ROAD 4. If there is any question of the series look at the sidewall of the tire. Michelin prominently displays the name.

The front Road 6 now incorporates the 2CT+ feature of a layer of the hard center compound underlying the softer outer compound sections then the hard compound being thicker and wrapping around the edge of the tread. This stiffens the soft compound tread face at high lean angles thus increasing grip, wear, and feedback to the rider. For those reasons the Pilot Road 4 would be an inferior tire matched with a Road 5 rear in my opinion. The Road 5 rears already have 2CT+ construction.
Dave mounted new r6gt on Beemer. Rode to Vermont camp out past weekend. This tire sing on turns/lean. It is loud. Had ear plugs in. got home an checked mounting a remounted wheel. Pushed forks up & down 6X. Torque every thing back together. Yes, abs sensor has clean and air gap measured. Have to check after it rain moves out.

Top Bottom