Pre-load adjuster

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Using an article started some 10 years ago on this site, I decided to take the plunge and tackle fixing my pre-load.
Symptoms: only got resistance after about 13 clicks.
Diagnosis: probably not much fluid left in reservoir.

So read through the article and jumped in using the @Igofar method to avoid taking the knob apart. Got the banjo bolt off and tipped the reservoir over and very little fluid came out with a lot of crud but not dirty crud. Mostly the stuff you see in attached pic (seen at 12 o’clock).
After flushing a few times I was still getting chunks of these white solid flakes. What is it?
Continued flushing until this unidentifiable stuff was not coming out, filled and put it back together.
Testing repair: resistance still only after 13 clicks. What? Back to the article and realized I had forgotten to reset the piston. Got it sorted out and learned a lesson.
Final outcome: resistance after 1.5 clicks.
I am humbled and grateful for the collective wisdom on this site.
Many thanks to all who contributed to the article.

F09F5283-0313-4C90-A127-E56C90E9B942.jpegF09F5283-0313-4C90-A127-E56C90E9B942.jpeg

OP
OP
Esti1300
Bike
'06 ST1300A
Yeah, I am looking forward to testing several settings on the pre-load in combination with the damping adjuster to find the “sweet spot” for a guy my size (just north of 270 :rolleyes:)

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Yeah, I am looking forward to testing several settings on the pre-load in combination with the damping adjuster to find the “sweet spot” for a guy my size (just north of 270 :rolleyes:)
Did you see Daves video on youtube showing how to adjust the damper and the differences when you do?
Good job on refilling the preload adjuster.

OP
OP
Esti1300
Bike
'06 ST1300A
Yes, thanks, I viewed it once last fall and made a mental note that when I got my pre-load sorted I would re-visit his video to fine tune my suspension.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Final outcome: resistance after 1.5 clicks.
And IMO should a minum air-cushion be kept/observed allowing expansion/contraction during heat-cycles...
(did similar procedure on my GF's NT700 last fall, don't want to have that thing blow while on a tour...)

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Funny, I did exactly the same thing with my low mileage 2012 1300 yesterday using @Igofar 's instructions too! Right after I had a nice chat with him about moly paste. :) Had to dig up the instructions he sent me, but had a similar experience. My reservoir started with more fluid, if you can call it that, than you did @Esti1300 .

Mine had clumps of what I would describe as a paraffin-like substance floating in the clear to blueish fluid. Replaced with jack oil as recommended.

Now, I know someone is going to give me grief for this, but I used a spray cleaner-degreaser in the adjuster to clear out the goop before doing the fill-n-flush cycles. the body is aluminum and the piston is either aluminum with a seal or a plastic piston. Either way, the brief time this cleaner was in the housing won't hurt it. My story and I'm sticking to it.

Much better than before. Like @Esti1300 resistance starts at about 1.5 turns.

Top Bottom