Pre-owned ST vs K-GT

Well, I've run into an issue and I need some help. I'm in the market for a "new" bike and I've since sold my "WeeStrom" in hopes of upgrading to a serious sport tourer. I ride an ST1300 all day long while at work I think it's a great bike! It's never left me stranded and I ride the hell out of it! Poor thing, it doesn't have the pampered life that's for sure! But here is the issue I'm having. I've found an 06' Honda ST1300 with about 20k in miles AND an 06' BMW K1200GT (loaded) for about the same price and with the same basic mileage, about 26k. Since I ride an ST all day, everyday, all the time...Ad Nauseum...LOL! I'm not sure when I get the urge to go on a road trip that I would want to ride it the same bike as I do while I'm at work. The plus side to that would be that I'm well versed in the ST and the way it handles ALL the time. But again, when I was on duty in the patrol unit I didn't go out and buy a Ford Crown Vic either...LOL! Now, the K-GT sure is tempting! With its heated grips, heated seats, ESA, cruise control and WOW! she sure looks sexy too! I'm kind of torn. I know the ST is durable but I don't know the issues of the K1200GT...Any help? Thanks...

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
If the ST is still under warranty you can extend it for four more years for $400ish. I think that is big. Don't know about the Beemer warranty. Probably be on your $own$. Other than that I think you would enjoy either. JMHO

STOC #
Go down to bmw and take a test ride. I road one last year and liked it a lot. It did feel very long compared to my st but a very nice bike. My friend likes his GT a bunch

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Considering you ride the ST all day, I'd go for the K-Bike and give yourself the best of both worlds!

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Same here get some variety in the ride, unless your research finds some issue with the Beemer that you don't like.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I agree and would personally like a different ride at home. Many people have two bikes to have a variety. But there is something to be said since you know the ST so well it might be safer in an emergency.

I've talked to people around Chicago and they indicate that the BMW's are expensive to maintain and the dealer network is not as large as Honda's. I would posible look at a FJR?

Larry

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Go down to bmw and take a test ride. I road one last year and liked it a lot. It did feel very long compared to my st but a very nice bike. My friend likes his GT a bunch
My advice as well. After riding one for the better part of a day, I was happy to have my ST to come home to. Good luck whatever you do!

John

OP
OP
motor2191
The only recall info I could find was something that dealt with a crank case vent freezing up during the winter which caused excess pressure to build up in the crankcase which could possibly cause it to split. Did I mention I live in HELL? Oh, I mean Flori"duh"....LOL! I don't have to contend with too many arctic nights down here...I'm leaning towards the BMW...

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
If it were me I would likely opt for the K-GT. The additional perceived maitenance costs would concern me a little but probably not enough to sway me. Like someone else said it is the best of both worlds.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
If the ST is still under warranty you can extend it for four more years for $400ish. I think that is big. Don't know about the Beemer warranty. Probably be on your $. Other than that I think you would enjoy either. JMHO
The ST1300 has an unlimeted mileage warranty. And the 4 more years is Unlimited also. Honda Dealers everywhere. BMW Dealers few and far between. I like the BMW bikes. I just can't make myself leave the dependability of a Honda.

STOC #
Well, here is my take...

I have ridden both (owned a 04 ST and twice did day long rides on a 2007 K1200GT)... both are great bikes, but the GT is the better of the two for several reasons... more refined power plant... it is indeed intoxicating. The new K1300GTs even more so, with 160 HP.

The second, the seating position is more comfortable for me at 6'3"... I could stretch out on this bike, I attribute it to it's very long wheelbase, which helps on long straightaways...

The Honda has more dealers available, that is for sure... but in my experience the BMW dealers are more knowledgeable about their product... Honda dealers generally don't give much of a second glance at ST owners.

My two cents.

OP
OP
motor2191
Thanks so far guys...Did I mention I hate the internet? LOL! Try Googling BMW K1200GT issues or problems. The only thing you'll get is pages and pages of forum chatter. LOL! If I had 6-8 weeks to read EVERYTHING I've found so far...But then I did the same search for ST1300 problems...Same thing! Everybody who has access to the internet post something. For everything that I could find good I could also find something bad...About EVERYTHING! Honda's, BMW's, Yamaha's, Kawasaki's...UGH! ...Somebody I know mentioned something about the servo brakes on the 06' models. Then I found a forum where someone said the Honda ST has servo brakes? UGH!!! I've got a headache now :banghead: It's good, it's bad, it's great, it sucks, it's the best, it's the worst....Yeah, you gotta have those, UGH! You don't want those...Whew! I need to break something now! :rocket1: It's cathartic...

In your case... I would go the K1200-GT, for the fact that you ride the ST all day long, and variety is the spice of life. The only question mark I have is the reliability as good? Plus you would be a perfect candidate to give us a product comparison between the 2 bikes. I'm sure there's alot of people here (myself included) who want to know how the beemer stacks up to big red

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Is the BMW being offered at a price well under Blue Book, or did it depreciate that much?

Maybe go to the BMW dealership service department and get an estimate of that bike's maintenance schedule and the associated costs.

Doesn't hurt to do a little homework before making a big purchase.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
I had an interesting conversation with Craig Hansen, owner of one of the best beemer multi-line shops [Medford, OR] I?ve ever been to. Over the years, I?ve learned to trust his judgment. He had a beautiful 1300 GT on the floor, though I was more interested in looking over his gorgeous Triumph and Ducati line. I learned a few things from him about the GT line, following in no particular order

1?KGT is longer. Good for high-speed stability, and of course a bit slower to turn in than an ST or BMW RT. You?re in Florida, so a GT could be a great straight line ride.

2?He has only ridden it 5-6 miles so far. He doesn?t think it will be much faster that the 1200 GT, so a 1200 GT should keep its value better once people find out the 1300 is not a great leap forward.

3?He does say it should shift smoother than the 1200, but I didn?t follow his tech talk on the new gearing/shifting.

4?I found the seating position very similar to an FJR?slightly more forward lean than the ST. Don?t know about you, but as I get older I prefer more lean.

5?He believes it will keep the 1200 K GT buzziness in the bars at around 6-7K revs

6?In lower rpms, slightly slower that the ST, but once it gets into midrange revs, it pulls harder. [According to MCN, the 06 GT and the ST almost a dead heat at 0-60, but the GT is 1 full second faster 0-100, which backs up his assessment] Of course, you're a moto popo so you'll prolly shut down at 60 :D

7?He *thought* [unsure] the 1300 front suspension had been improved over the 1200, which some riders found wooden or non-responsive, and not quite as good as the RT telelever front end.

Have fun looking and test riding.

OP
OP
motor2191
Well, I went with the BMW. After a slight headache to deal with on the day I bought the bike, things have been great. The bike is very fast, too fast. I doesn't have the same wind protection as the Honda and it's a little more buzzzzy (engine vibs). It's DEAD smooth on the freeway at 80. The cruise control is nice and I'll let you know on the heated seat and grips in several months. It's in the mid to upper 80's now (88 on my way home today). I'll be buying a Cee Baileys soon seeing that the windshield (a factory tall) doesn't give me enough wind block. Handling is good and I really like the way the fork feels and rides. The ESA is a neat feature too. More to come... ;-)

Top Bottom