Preventative maintenance items

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
We plan to ship our 2005 ST1300 to Europe in 2028. Unless I buy a different bike between now and then, our ST will be 23 years old when we go.
Aside from all the normal, regular fluid changes (oil, brakes, final drive and coolant) and wear items like brakes pads and tires, what other maintenance work needs doing?
Two things that come to mind are coolant hoses and maybe brake hoses?

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I've not heard about brake hoses going bad and you can generally tell by feeling them. Brake hoses should be firm and not squishy. I'd be proactive in changing the upper to lower gas tank hose since that can spoil your day if it leaks. Cooling system hoses are a conundrum. I found it to be a daunting task to replace all of them because you have to remove the tank, air box, snorkles, and throttle bodies to get to the back of the thermostat housing. Larry once told me he could do it from the front. Having seen at least one picture of him, his hands have to be bigger than those of an 11 year old child. I ended up replacing only the larger coolant hoses I could reach from the front. You might consider putting in a metal T (cooling hoses hit this on the right side of the engine, up front). If you do the hoses, using constant tension clamps might be a good idea. How old is your battery? I usually replace mine at 4-5 years. How about your tires?

Top Bottom