Prices for Oil Change materials

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Owner of a 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC, and as the cold weather approaches I headed up to my local Triumph dealer today and purchased the items needed for the first oil change on the bike before I store it for the winter. Here's what I paid:

Triumph oil filter: $16.95

crush washer: $1.49

4 quarts of full synthetic Castrol Power RS Racing 4T, 10W-50: $16.50/qt

Grand total for everything, including tax: $90.35

Any suggestions on cheaper ways to purchase the same items? The price felt steep to me. I want to take good care of the bike, hope to keep it for a while, but not throw money down the drain. Thanks for any suggestions!

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
As for the oil use Shell's Rotella T6 full synthetic at about $21 / gallon at WalMart , Rotella keeps high mileage Diesel Big Rigs lubricated with 23:1 cylinder compression . Try re-using the crush washer - see if it actually leaks a little or not. Oil filter - look on-line for better price , buy in bulk or maybe there is a suitable quality substitute ? Is there a Triumph Forum to ask ?

Last edited:
Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
T6 at wally world.
Purolator filter at whatever auto parts place.
Bag of crush washers are cheap there as well.
$30 ish

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Just get a bunch of the crush washers at once. It's a buck & a half. As for the oil, what's been said above.

For info on filters:
  • Walmart Supertech ST6607 is the standard filter and ST7317 is a bit longer with more capacity
  • Bosch 3323 or 3300
  • NAPA Gold 1356
  • Purolator L14610 or L14612
  • Purolator Pure One ML16819
  • Motorcraft FL 821
all are 20x1.5mm threads, 2.3" gasket diamater with a bypass valve of 8 to 14 psi and anti drain back valves

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
May I suggeST timing your purchase to advantage "sale" pricing and consider consolidating your purchase, and buying in BULK.

Always works well for me.

Thank you,
-Elliot

Bike
2006 ST1300
I agree with all the above, plus :
1. Dump the synthetic for Delo- find someone with a Costco membership and get it when it goes on sale. IIRC, under 30$ for 3 gallons
2. Filter: get the Purolator equivalent, join Advanced Auto's online store, and you get 15-30% off periodically by ordering online, and picking up at store. Crush washers should be available there too for very little cash.

90$ for an oil change?

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Aluminum washer on my '91 GoldWing's engine oil drain plug is still the original - never been any oil on the floor from it in 22 years. Similar experience from a 30 year old SilverWing I also had.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Try a different dealer if you want a triumph filter , mine charges $10, and buy oil at a auto parts store the same oil is also. $10 at auto zone .

Bike
2008 ST1300
Check the auto parts store online prices. I know Advance Auto Parts will usually offer a discount if you buy online. You can then pick up your purchase at a store you specify when you check out. I imagine the other auto parts store do the same thing.

SPX

Bike
ST1300
Owner of a 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC, and as the cold weather approaches I headed up to my local Triumph dealer today and purchased the items needed for the first oil change on the bike before I store it for the winter. Here's what I paid:

Triumph oil filter: $16.95

crush washer: $1.49

4 quarts of full synthetic Castrol Power RS Racing 4T, 10W-50: $16.50/qt

Grand total for everything, including tax: $90.35

Any suggestions on cheaper ways to purchase the same items? The price felt steep to me. I want to take good care of the bike, hope to keep it for a while, but not throw money down the drain. Thanks for any suggestions!
I too have an 800XC. You can find the OEM filter for $10-12 if you shop around. The crush washer is so cheap, it's insignificant. And oil, you can find Rotella T6, or other, for $20-25 for the quantity that you need. So you can be into it for under $40, with ease, and probably around $30 if you shop for sales.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I just looked up Triumph's price for an oil filter and the MSRP is only $10.99.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Check the auto parts store online prices. I know Advance Auto Parts will usually offer a discount if you buy online. You can then pick up your purchase at a store you specify when you check out. I imagine the other auto parts store do the same thing.
Advance also does $50 off $100+ purchases very frequently to save even more. Buy in bulk and have five years worth of supplies for half what the STealer charges for one.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
DWJ Honda

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Thank you all for these wise and helpful ideas! I knew I was coming to the right place to get suggestions on a better way to go!

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I just gathered the oil and filter for the Trophy. I paid $9.99 for the same Castrol synthetic oil at Auto Zone and $10.99 for the oil filter at the dealer. Even at that, $60 seems high for a do it yourself oil change when I can get the oil changed in the car for $30 and the dealer even changes the oil in the diesel truck for $70 and that takes 16 quarts of oil.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I just gathered the oil and filter for the Trophy. I paid $9.99 for the same Castrol synthetic oil at Auto Zone and $10.99 for the oil filter at the dealer. Even at that, $60 seems high for a do it yourself oil change when I can get the oil changed in the car for $30 and the dealer even changes the oil in the diesel truck for $70 and that takes 16 quarts of oil.
I feel the same way until I think about the numbers. Our bikes take as much oil as many small cars, the filter is the same, and synthetic costs 2-4x as much as dino. I'm glad I only do it every 10k miles.

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Economies of scale. The diesel truck dealer is purchasing oil at wholesale in bulk package quantities, versus you purchasing oil retail in individual quart quantities. Ditto for the oil filter. Also, oil changes are the "loss leaders" for the entire automotive service industry. The point is to get you in, then upsell. This is also why pretty much everybody in the car service sector still call for the 3,000 mile/3 mos oil change interval, even though the car makers call for intervals substantially higher. Get you in the door. BTW, while the bogus call for a 3k interval is a bad thing because it's bogus and results in waste, having your vehicle checked over frequently is not a bad thing... even if it does mean somebody is going to make some money. Vehicles tend to deteriorate slowly enough that we don't really notice much as it's happening. Add to that the fact that most people give little more thought to pre-trip inspections of their vehicles than glancing at the tires that they can see as they walk up to the vehicle, and having an additional set of eyes looking for problems is a good thing.

Seriously, I stopped at the local Triumph/BMW dealership a couple weeks back, and a couple were about to leave on their bikes. The guy was riding an older Yamaha sportbike, probably the step down from an R6 model. As he was pulling out, I hollered at him to stop.

His rear tire was showing cord. He had no idea.....

Top Bottom