Pro shops are tools...

So, I had my local pro shop put some iridium plugs in my st13 last season. While Guru Larry from the forum was coaching me on some other issues, he also looked at my plugs via photo... "Wrong plugs! Remove them or they could cause damage!"

I did some more reading, and although the depth is fine, the replacement plugs didn't have the extra deep "collar", and in lieu had extended length of threads. Plus, it was [possibly] the wrong heat rating [for iridium].

They're the same effing "pro shop" that told me my brakes were fine when they wouldn't even spin one revolution. I finally, with Larry's kind and knowledgeable coaching, did some brake servicing by myself. Once this season begins, I'll have to replace my SMC and bleed the brake lines. Not looking forward to the process (I get paralysis doing something first time if I don't have someone to watch do it first), but I'm looking forward to the result.

Hope you're all doing well!

Cheers mates!

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
standard knowledge based on decades of similar experiences, good luck to you on your eventual wrenching experience, you'll come out OK.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
So, I had my local pro shop put some iridium plugs in my st13 last season. While Guru Larry from the forum was coaching me on some other issues, he also looked at my plugs via photo... "Wrong plugs! Remove them or they could cause damage!"

I did some more reading, and although the depth is fine, the replacement plugs didn't have the extra deep "collar", and in lieu had extended length of threads. Plus, it was the wrong heat rating.

They're the same effing "pro shop" that told me my brakes were fine when they wouldn't even spin one revolution. I finally, with Larry's kind and knowledgeable coaching, did some brake servicing by myself. Once this season begins, I'll have to replace my SMC and bleed the brake lines. Not looking forward to the process (I get paralysis doing something first time if I don't have someone to watch do it first), but I'm looking forward to the result.

Hope you're all doing well!

Cheers mates!
What plugs did they install? Others may have the same plugs installed and aren't aware of the danger.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Don't worry - there will come a time when you can't find any 'professional' that will work on a ST1300 just like a ST1100 today ... ;)
Anymore, most 'professionals' can't figure anything out unless they can connect the machine to a computer and the computer tells them what part to replace. :biggrin:
I've always said that's a bit like a crazy man diagnosing himself - He thinks he's just fine, it's the rest of the world that's crazy.
And at this stage of things, the crazy man may not be far from wrong! :think1:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I finally, with Larry's kind and knowledgeable coaching, did some brake servicing by myself. Once this season begins, I'll have to replace my SMC and bleed the brake lines. Not looking forward to the process (I get paralysis doing something first time if I don't have someone to watch do it first), but I'm looking forward to the result.
At this point, you now know without any doubt this shop is not worthy of your time or your money. Fuggedaboutem.

I totally relate to the analysis paralysis, but at this point you also know without any doubt that Larry can be trusted to walk you through the scary new stuff.

He coached me through replacing my SMC, as he has many, many others, so just clear out a suitable workspace, lay out all the tools you need, pay attention and ask questions and take your time. It's quite satisfying to work through your fears and trepidations, and it's sufficiently rewarding to have a nice ST1300 that runs well.

And stops well.

You can do this!

OP
OP
The Dark Shadow
At this point, you now know without any doubt this shop is not worthy of your time or your money. Fuggedaboutem.

I totally relate to the analysis paralysis, but at this point you also know without any doubt that Larry can be trusted to walk you through the scary new stuff.

He coached me through replacing my SMC, as he has many, many others, so just clear out a suitable workspace, lay out all the tools you need, pay attention and ask questions and take your time. It's quite satisfying to work through your fears and trepidations, and it's sufficiently rewarding to have a nice ST1300 that runs well.

And stops well.

You can do this!
Sadly, I do NOT have a well suitable workspace. My driveway is medium steep, and then there's the road... This is one of the few reasons I wanted to find a trustworthy shop.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Sadly, I do NOT have a well suitable workspace. My driveway is medium steep, and then there's the road... This is one of the few reasons I wanted to find a trustworthy shop.
My brother lives in Halifax in a condo apartment. When he needed to work on his trailer and 4 wheel quad he rented a short term storage unit over on the Dartmouth side and worked in it. Might be an idea for you.

Something like these:

1708094549569.jpeg

Bike
2010 ST1300
Replacing the SMC and bleeding the brakes is a straightforward remove the old and install the new procedure with everything hanging out in the open. I was intimidated by yanking my forks and changing out the valving for RaceTech's but once I got into it, I was ok. You will be fine, too. I suggest you pick up a Honda Service Manual, read through the brake section a couple of times and schedule a time when Larry is available should you need encouragement and a tip or two. Good luck!

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
Trust yourself. I started working on my 1100 3 years ago feeling teh same way, and now I have done so many things I was nervous to do. Worst thing that has happend as been several calls for help on the site. Always someone knows what to do. Just have a friend around that is willing do do the hard stuff. Like seating your carbs on your 1100 when a gentle (ha,ha) whack is needed.

OP
OP
The Dark Shadow
What plugs did they install? Others may have the same plugs installed and aren't aware of the danger.
The "pros" installed cr7eix for me. (#7385).

According to this forum, the iridium recommended plugs are cr9ehix9 (#6216).

You'll see the depth is the same, but one has a collar and shorter threads, the "eix" has taller threads with no collar. I was wondering why my plugs seemed oilier than it seems they should be.

Attachments

OP
OP
The Dark Shadow
If you asked the shop to install iridium plugs they installed the proper iridium NGK plug for the ST1300.

According to the attached chart the upgraded plug you asked for is the #7385 CR7EIX. This is the standard heat range plug that Honda recommends in the owners and shop manual - upgraded to iridium.

Given you live in a cooler climate and probably don't run at high speed for extended periods of time the heat range 7 is likely what most owners would install.

Look at the photos. The plugs are a different fitment as I wrote above. There's no one on this forum I'll trust more than Igofar. The plugs without the H or the end number don't have the "collar" portion.

Somebody he'p the boy. This now has me confused a bit. Can someone please share the CORRECT NGK number for an '07 ST? How about the CORRECT iridium plug for this bike? I've run iridium plugs in my Valkyries off and on, but really don't see, hear, feel, or even notice a difference between the two, except for the price. I live in Texas, but my ST goes all over North America.
Thanks for the clarification.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Look at the photos. The plugs are a different fitment as I wrote above. There's no one on this forum I'll trust more than Igofar. The plugs without the H or the end number don't have the "collar" portion.
If you asked the shop to install iridium plugs they installed the proper iridium NGK plug for the ST1300. You might find someone that disagrees with Honda's recommended spark plugs but the shop followed correct protocol in doing what you asked them to do.

According to the attached chart and owner/shop manual the upgraded plug you asked for is the #7385 CR7EIX. This is the standard heat range plug that Honda recommends in the owners and shop manual - upgraded to iridium. According to the attached pictures of Honda manuals the "forum recommended plug" is too cold for normal operation.

Given you live in a cooler climate and probably don't run at high speed for extended periods of time the heat range 7 is likely what most owners would install.

The CR9EHIX9 are a heat range too cold for the ST1300. There is a common misunderstanding here that because the ST1300 throws off so much heat a colder heat range plug reduces heat to the rider. This is simply wrong and could lead to the engine fouling plugs because the tip of the plug runs below the design temperature that creates the self-cleaning effect. The temperature of combustion in the cylinder is what determines how hot exhaust gas is, not the heat range of the plugs installed.

https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/assets/Uploads/NGK_Upgrades.pdf

IMG_3930.jpeg

IMG_3931.jpeg

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Somebody he'p the boy. This now has me confused a bit. Can someone please share the CORRECT NGK number for an '07 ST? How about the CORRECT iridium plug for this bike? I've run iridium plugs in my Valkyries off and on, but really don't see, hear, feel, or even notice a difference between the two, except for the price. I live in Texas, but my ST goes all over North America.
Thanks for the clarification.
See post #17.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've run iridium plugs in my Valkyries off and on, but really don't see, hear, feel, or even notice a difference between the two, except for the price.
Since Dave has set things straight in post 17, a little humor is in order.

Since the Iridium plugs lightened your wallet, you should experience livelier acceleration, improved mileage and perhaps, some difficulty buying that second beer....:rofl1:

Top Bottom