Problems with VRR supplier.

Bike
1991 st1100
Hi all,
Ordered a new VRR for my 1991 1100 and received the bagged one pictured. This will obviously not fit the bike as the mounting holes are 20mm too far apart. The supplier is adamant that this is the correct part. Anyone got any ideas if this VRR will fit on any of the ST1100's?

Cheers

Martin

Attachments

Last edited:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Did you send him the picture you have here? I would think it wouldn't take any more information than that to convince him! AFAIK all the 28 amp models used the one on the right.

That VRR may work on other Hondas of the era, but not a direct plugin for the ST1100. If the VRR is rated for the alt's output, mods could be done to make it work, but that may be more hassle than you are willing to partake.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
That VRR will function fine if connected correctly. It is common now for some companies to supply a universal type VRR that is adaptable to many model bikes. Other than the mounting issue it is actually a better unit than the standard Honda VRR. If I were you I would eliminate the plug-in connectors anyway and connect each wire with a good crimp and solder connection. The plug in connectors have had some problems.

Dan

OP
OP
Bike
1991 st1100
Purchased from a firm called m and p here in the UK via EBay. I have no issue with rewiring to suit the new VRR but when it is advertised as a direct replacement with the correct hole centres then to be fair that's what I expect to receive. After several emails they have not exactly admitted that they have made a mistake (which to be honest I think it's more likely that they have been given the wrong unit by their supplier) but have agreed to exchange it for one that will actually fit.

Bike
2006 ST1300
That VRR will function fine if connected correctly. It is common now for some companies to supply a universal type VRR that is adaptable to many model bikes. Other than the mounting issue it is actually a better unit than the standard Honda VRR. If I were you I would eliminate the plug-in connectors anyway and connect each wire with a good crimp and solder connection. The plug in connectors have had some problems.

Dan
:plus1:

I've seen this many times. When buying a replacement for the KLR650 you end up having to do the same thing- wire a universal replacement in, and the replacement is better quality than the OEM. For the small issue of having to wire it in, I'd keep the one you have and adapt the mounting to fit. Remember that these resellers are taking the word of the MFR that they fit the vehicles listed...the reseller often never sees the parts, or reships them himself but doesn't have vehicles to test them on.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Hi all,
Ordered a new VRR for my 1991 1100 and received the bagged one pictured. This will obviously not fit the bike as the mounting holes are 20mm too far apart. The supplier is adamant that this is the correct part. Anyone got any ideas if this VRR will fit on any of the ST1100's?
This could be either an aftermarket/universal part or its actually the reinforced, heat sink police spec VRR (P/N 31600-MZ9-901), which required an additional bracket: 31605-MZ9-900 stay, regulator rectifier + P/N 31606-MZ9-900 plate, regulator setting and some M6 bolts and nuts to get it attached to the footrest plate.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
:plus1:

I've seen this many times. When buying a replacement for the KLR650 you end up having to do the same thing- wire a universal replacement in, and the replacement is better quality than the OEM. For the small issue of having to wire it in, I'd keep the one you have and adapt the mounting to fit. Remember that these resellers are taking the word of the MFR that they fit the vehicles listed...the reseller often never sees the parts, or reships them himself but doesn't have vehicles to test them on.
:plus1: The heat-sink on the replacement is probably going to help a lot more for keeping it cool.

Top Bottom