Progressive rear shock problem

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Well I was doing the rear tire and saw my rear shock had some strange rubbing on it. It's a Progressive 420. You can see it bows over .25in. Anyone have this problem before?

Attachments

Last edited:

alan

R.I.P - 3/20/2011
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Call Progressive and see if they stand behind their product. Looks like the shock was not up to handling the weight of the ST.

OP
OP
The Dan

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Working on that now. So far they want to stand way behind it.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Usually this occurs when the shock spring is not heavy enough or not set tight enough and the shock bottoms out under load. This can cause a very high shock load and easily bend the shock shafts or damage other things. I suspect most of the ST1100 subframes that have been bent happen this way. Was the bike overloaded and or bottomed out?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
BTDT on an OEM shock. Pranged something (never saw what) on I-94 enroute to NESTOC 2001. Insurance covered it and the bent front rim too.

Good luck, Dan.

Regards, John

OP
OP
The Dan

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Well no help from Progressive so I ordered a new spring myself from them. $72.99 and my problem is fixed. Wish they stood behind there product a little better. Here are pic's of the spring alone and off the shock it's still bowed.

The Dan

Attachments

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Usually this happens if the spring is not heavy enough for the weight it has to carry. The coil collapses all the way and binds and causes the coil wrap to ride over another and bend the spring. You had better order a heavier spring if you carry a lot of weight.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Many people over tighten the preload trying to compensate for too light of a spring to carry the load. This can cause the coil binding problem and damage the spring. Again, better make sure your spring is heavy enough to carry the load so you don't damage it again.

OP
OP
The Dan

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I had the pre load set to 3/4 inch so that's not the problem. It is just a bad spring no question about it. I talked to Eibach who build all types of springs for cars and bikes and they said the same. Just didn't get heat treated correctly. Still waiting to see if Progressive will stand behind there offer to sell me a spring at cost $39.40 instead of the $72 I spent. It's the **** to spend $400 for a shock just to get a POS that had a bad spring.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I am going to watch this thread since I am looking to upgrade my suspension. I was looking at progressive. But might look somewhere else. We will see how they handle this. Thanks for the heads up Dan

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
My progressive shock has served me well but I agree about the pre-load lock nut. My shock did not come with one and it will slowly loosen up the preload over time. I either need to safety wire it or use some loctite.

Dan

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I went with HyperPro and have not had any trouble at all. It is a very good unit well built and came complete. With a matched set of fork springs it drastically improved the bikes handling.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I sent them an email today and told them about my adjuster not having a lock nut and I got an immediate response from their technical dept that said I should have a locknut on this shock and they want me to take a picture of the shock and send it to them. It looks like they will be sending me a locknut.

OP
OP
The Dan

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Well they had UPS stop and pick up my old spring. I'll keep members informed on the out come.

The Dan
:dr11:

OP
OP
The Dan

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
What a buch of BS, Your shock never came with a jam nut but they will sell you what they forgot to put on??????????
:box1:

OP
OP
The Dan

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Well they refunded the money for the replacement spring..

Dan,

I will be contacting our Accounting Dept right now to push the refund through today.

Thank You,

Bryce Carlson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:54 PM
To: Bryce Carlson
Subject: Re: Rubbing 420 Shock

Please let me know when and what the amount refunded are complete. Thanks for standing behind your product and taking care of this problem. I will post a positive on st-owners when we have completed my refund.

Thanks

Dan

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:20 AM

To: 'Computer Dan's'

Subject: RE: Rubbing 420 Shock

Dan,

You are being credited for the amount you were charged.

Thank You,

Bryce Carlson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:56 AM
To: Bryce Carlson
Subject: Re: Rubbing 420 Shock

For the full amount or the discount?

Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:26 AM

To: 'Computer Dan's'

Subject: RE: Rubbing 420 Shock

Dan,

Your springs have been inspected, and your sales order has been credited.

Thank You,

Bryce Carlson

OP
OP
The Dan

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I guess it pays to throw the name ST-Owners.com at them...LOL..Worked for me.
The Dan

Top Bottom