Proper Gauge Wire For Accessories

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
That's a slick little unit. Does it have some kind of anchoring or is that where you get creative?
Well, it's made to be used inside an electrical box, and used to connect incoming and outgoing aluminum wires together, and a copper jumper to the switch or receptacle. So, no, it doesn't clamp onto the wire other than where it, um, clamps onto the wire. :rolleyes:

Aluminum was used for house wiring in the early 70s, but was soon found to have problems in smaller conductor sizes. I can go into detail if anyone's interested.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I searched high and low for aux fuseboxes and ultimately rejected all of them and popped for the Eastern Beaver. My criteria were simple, I wanted more than 6 circuits (EB one has 8 when you jumper the non switched to the switched power supply) and I wanted small size. The relay type boxes tended to be too big and a lot of the boxes did not have a neg buss. Other complications were many of the Blue Sea offerings lacked a cover and/or it was optional. In addition, many were simply too thick (measure from flat surface the fusebox is sitting on to the top of the cover).

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
This is a great thread - good stuff! ... .looks like a relay box is the same as my fuse box.... i.e. FZ-1

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'll have to look for the thread with that relay/fuse holder. IIRC it has space for one relay and four or six fuses. Once wired up you could swap out the fuses and needed along with the relay. All plug n play. But it was a UK item only. I haven't seen the likes in these parts.

I prefer to keep my high amperage wires as short as possible. Then run low load to accessories. I have a fuzeblock mounted where all the relays are....then a 2x4 distribution block mounted on the Helibar ram mount

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Read a bunch a while back about 12V applications... insulation ratings are key, but as has been said, why create heat in the first place. From experience, you need a 12ga. wire for a Stebel horn. Piaa's are very low draw. I question all your heated gear (for 1 person) is 20A.... more like 10? I use 16 ga. for that, and that is what most heated gear folks supply you with. Using a lot of big gauge wire can get bulky in a hurry..... you just have to plan it out. Fuzeblock main feed is a 12 gauge wire.... shoulda been 10 ga IMHO. I wouldn't run a horn through it (why?).
Based on WarmNSafe if you have jacket, gloves, socks, and trouser liners plus some margin of safety as the gear gets older.

Top Bottom