Puncture On Hankook

Bike
ST1300
Haven't posted here for months, mostly due to ill health and not wanting to endure the endless bickering about CT legalities. BUT, I'm here to show you darksiders TWO photos and explain them.

Beautiful afternoon here and I've decided to ride a while... at 55 MPH just .6 mile from my house. Big BANG! And the back end wiggled a small bit. Just pulled in the clutch and let it coast to a stop, which didn't take long as the air was rapidly escaping.

Got off to inspect the Hankook V12 and found it flat. Well, more than flat, punctured by an 8 inch long screw bolt that went through the tread and came out the sidewall. In my opinion I think had this been a MC tire my butt would be lying in the ditch right now, waiting for an ambulance. The stiff sidewall of the Hankook not only kept the puncture from being a catastrophic blow out, but allowed me to slowly (5 MPH) ride back to my house.

Body of the bolt managed to scrape up my rim, and I didn't help that by riding over half a mile on the flat. But if that's all I have to worry about, I'm okay with it.

Notice the amount of tread left on this tire.... about 20,000 miles on in now. I'm going to replace it with another CT, just haven't figured out which yet.

Anybody wants to give me a constructive comment, send me an email. Otherwise this is my last post on this thread. Oncologists are telling me I'm facing pancreatic cancer now and I just don't have time for all of the hoo-ha.

Regards,

Lee

Attachments

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sorry to hear about your issues Lee, glad the puncture didn't result in a serious injury... I wish you well on the battle you have in front of you. I don't let folks get to aggressive here regardless of which side of the Car Tire subject you're on so don't worry about that on this site. But, I agree, you need the least amount of stress and ho ha to deal with at the moment. Keep us updated on how you're doing and let us know if you need any emotional support, there's lots of that here.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Wow that is one big bolt through that tire. Glad you were able to get home on it. I have the Goodyear Triple Tread tire on my ST and have been very happy with it.

We wish you the best in your medical battle!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am glad you made it home alright and best of wishes to you. I'll be thinking of you as you deal with your illness!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
1st hoping for great results with you're battle.

That coulda been a lot worse even on the heavy duty tire.
Glad it worked out.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad the flat turned out so well!

When my brother had a rear tire blow out on him (regular MC tire - PR2) , his bike went to the left and he found himself scrapping down the center divider, which is what kept him from going down!

Prayers for your health issue. Hope things get better in that respect!

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
Lee, I am glad you are ok after hitting that thing. Stay tough and yep, ignore the hoo-haw.

Chris

sbond22

'06 ST1300A The DarkeST color
Bike
'06 ST1300A
Lee. Thanks for the post. I agree with you 100% about the inane "legality" issues. Who cares? Take care my friend. Steve.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Now *that* is a nail!

Congrats on getting through that with only a scraped rim.

And I'm sending prayers for you...

Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Congratulations on stopping safely. I'm also running a Hankook CT, and I'm curious how much of beating did your battery box (inner fender) take from that bolt.

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
1st, Prayers going out for you.
As to the tire, I am running a GY TT and working it hard. Very happy with it and less "switch" than the Hankook.
And as for your tire.......you have pictures, nothing to be said.

Top Bottom