Purchased a Canon A650 IS

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I bought the Canon A650 IS last week being I like the A series alot and have been waiting for this model to come out. I like shooting in macro and it has the flip out rotatable screen which allows me to take pics of myself being I travel about 99% of the time alone.

Here are a few pics.

Attachments

I just picked up the new SD870IS.

Its going back.

Thought I would like the compact format, but the IQ leaves me wanting.

Going to try the G9 next ... if they ever arrive.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
GRRR I was pissed when I saw this come out. I bought a A640 2 months ago. My wife left our old A80 out in the rain and while it still works the LCD is messed up. We needed to replace it and while I really wanted IS there were no models available that have the flip out screen that our A80 has and we loved. We couldn't wait as we needed a good camera before our trip to Germany that we just got back from a couple weeks ago. This A650IS is the perfect camera that I would have wanted had it been available 2-3 months ago. I never noticed motion blur in my pictures from our A80 but that was only a 4 MP camera. Our A640 is a 10MP and I did see it on a few pictures. The A650 IS is a 12MP and adds Image Stabilization as you know and a little more optical zoom. The blur that I can see and assume is due to not holding the camera still enough I think may be partly due to how much higher the resolution is. Also I was shocked with how big the pictures were. At max resolution my image files are between 4-7.5 MB each. That eats up some serious space on the storage cards. I went to New Egg and picked up a 4GB SDHC from A Data. It got some bad reviews but most were from idiots that don't understand that a regular SD reader or non SDHC camera cannot use a SDHC card. It is a new format. Anyhow this memory was really cheap and is very fast. I think with the card formatted it shows that I can take something like 850 pictures at 10MP. I also used the video mode more on this trip. While the sound isn't very good the picture quality was pretty darn good for a point a shoot camera.

Here is my review of the A640

Love:
Love the AA batteries. Many people hate them but I am getting about 400 shots on a set and am warned after about 300 that they are getting low. If I am traveling I can get AAs anywhere or use rechargeable batteries.

Picture quality. It takes some great shots. I also like the macro mode as well as some of the others such as wide screen as I have a wide screen monitor.

Rotating LCD. Love it... This is why we went with the A640. It would have been the A650IS had it been out.

Hate:

LCD. While it is nice and big the resolution isn't what it should be. I had several shots that looked fine on the LCD bud were blurry when downloaded.

Auto focus. I had more difficulty with the auto focus on scenery shots on this trip. This was also made worse because of the low resolution of the LCD. In the end if it was a shot I really wanted I would take the same shot a few times in auto and manual modes. That way one of the shots would turn out well. This isn't possible always though.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
I have the A710is, awesome camera, just awesome. The usb 2.0 connections (I ended up with something that just goes in a floppy drive slot, and can read all types and sizes of cards) are soooo fast.

I use to have an Olympus with a serial port connection... downloading pics took forrrrrrrrrr evvvvvvvvvvver.

Very happy with the cannon for lots and lots of reasons. Good Choice!

regards,

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I just picked up the new SD870IS.

Its going back.

Thought I would like the compact format, but the IQ leaves me wanting.

Going to try the G9 next ... if they ever arrive.
The G9 is very nice as well with a higher pixel movie mode, 3" LCD and RAW format. But I am spoiled on the flipout rotatable LCD. The G9 is as close or better than some SLR's in my opinion. I had the chance to play with it in the shop for over an hour.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
The G9 is very nice as well with a higher pixel movie mode, 3" LCD and RAW format. But I am spoiled on the flipout rotatable LCD. The G9 is as close or better than some SLR's in my opinion. I had the chance to play with it in the shop for over an hour.
I agree with that. I was looking at the G7 and the A640. The flip out LCD sold me on the A640. We had it on the last one and I use it all the time.

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Where'd ya find a G9?

They've not arrived in Texas yet ... any day now.
Adray Appliance in Dearborn, MI had them on Monday 9/10 already. Even on Amazon it's still pre-order. Another great feature on the G9 is the 3" LCD screen at 230K pixels with this new Pure color technology and you can hold the camera at rather dramatic angles either overhead or low to you and still see the screen clearly. It's a great feature.

Last edited:
Yeah, the 870 has the same screen.

It may be a little too nice.

Photos on there look better than on the computer!

;)

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
GRRR I was pissed when I saw this come out. I bought a A640 2 months ago. My wife left our old A80 out in the rain and while it still works the LCD is messed up. We needed to replace it and while I really wanted IS there were no models available that have the flip out screen that our A80 has and we loved. We couldn't wait as we needed a good camera before our trip to Germany that we just got back from a couple weeks ago. This A650IS is the perfect camera that I would have wanted had it been available 2-3 months ago. I never noticed motion blur in my pictures from our A80 but that was only a 4 MP camera. Our A640 is a 10MP and I did see it on a few pictures. The A650 IS is a 12MP and adds Image Stabilization as you know and a little more optical zoom. The blur that I can see and assume is due to not holding the camera still enough I think may be partly due to how much higher the resolution is. Also I was shocked with how big the pictures were. At max resolution my image files are between 4-7.5 MB each. That eats up some serious space on the storage cards. I went to New Egg and picked up a 4GB SDHC from A Data. It got some bad reviews but most were from idiots that don't understand that a regular SD reader or non SDHC camera cannot use a SDHC card. It is a new format. Anyhow this memory was really cheap and is very fast. I think with the card formatted it shows that I can take something like 850 pictures at 10MP. I also used the video mode more on this trip. While the sound isn't very good the picture quality was pretty darn good for a point a shoot camera.

Here is my review of the A640

Love:
Love the AA batteries. Many people hate them but I am getting about 400 shots on a set and am warned after about 300 that they are getting low. If I am traveling I can get AAs anywhere or use rechargeable batteries.

Picture quality. It takes some great shots. I also like the macro mode as well as some of the others such as wide screen as I have a wide screen monitor.

Rotating LCD. Love it... This is why we went with the A640. It would have been the A650IS had it been out.

Hate:

LCD. While it is nice and big the resolution isn't what it should be. I had several shots that looked fine on the LCD bud were blurry when downloaded.

Auto focus. I had more difficulty with the auto focus on scenery shots on this trip. This was also made worse because of the low resolution of the LCD. In the end if it was a shot I really wanted I would take the same shot a few times in auto and manual modes. That way one of the shots would turn out well. This isn't possible always though.
Good points you make. If you want to get a leg up on what coming out in digital cameras I always follow the DC Resource page. There are several others out there but I am used to this guys reviews and they are extensive.

The blur you see is the wind moving the little stuff around primaily. What I really like about this and the G9 is the 3 selections for focus. There is a AIAF (9 rectangle), a center focus and Face Detection focus. I used the center focus on the Macros here all shot under Auto. The center focus allows a quicker shot in that whatever you put in the rectangle and half press the shutter to a green rectangle is in focus. It's a no brainer. You can also get as close as .25" on a shot in Macro.

The A650 eats up some card. I am shooting everything in Large pixels 4000 x 3000 and turning down the compression to Large / Fine rather than Superfine. I have done numerous test shots on tripod in natural and artificial light and cannot tell the difference between Large / Fine and Superfine compression, of which the latter is highest compression. In shooting under the one lower I am saving minimally 1.5MB per picture. In full Pixel / Compression this shoots all photos above 5MB per picture. Or 91 pics on a 512MB card vs. 151 pics on the same card at the resolution I am shooting at. So it saves alot of card and I cannot see any difference even when I blow every shot up. I have 2 - 4GB Sandisk SDHC cards so I am covered regardless. I have enough room for an hour of video at the highest setting and over 1000 pictures as well.

My Canon A95 is a great camera, no complaints there at all. I was getting about 300 shots per recharge in Ni-Cads (Energizer E2's 2500 MAH) along with reviewing and editing. This camera is definitely more efficient though. Right now I have taken 422 pictures as of today and about 10 minutes of video with gobs of reviewing in between, mostly test shots in getting use to the camera to prepare for future trips. Amazingly I am still on the 1st set of batteries.

Last edited:
I was taking some pictures tonight with my Canon A610. None of them came out -- all black. After checking for obvious symptoms, I found my less than 2-year-old camera failed. A little research on the internet led me to a thread on CNET that discussed several Canon camera owners who had the same problem -- something defective with the CCD.

Thank goodness I discovered this before my weeklong M/C trip. I have a Canon A70 to use as a backup but now I'm in the market for a new digital camera. Really like those A650IS photos!

Top Bottom