Pure Magic: Head and Eyes

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Regarding the bit "An empty bag blowing across the road may not be worth the disruption in your path of travel."

I don't want that plastic bag anywhere near my ST's radiator grill, so I will try to predict its path and avoid it every time if I can safely do so. These bikes need full airflow to stay cool!

Head and Eyes really does work, IF you practice and make it instinctive.

As the famous movie pilot says, "Don't think, just DO."

It must be instinctive.

Make time to practice. I take a rider training course every season, and many are free thanks to grant money from Uncle Sam to state coffers.

Check your state's highway safety office and perhaps you can find a free course in your area. We Oklahoma riders are lucky to have several to choose from.

Keep learning and improving, and ride safe!

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Something I picked up when Itchy Boots did a rider training course involving weaving through cones was to look at the gap between the cones, not the cones. It was surprisingly obvious, but having done exercises like that myself, looking at the object that you are trying to ride around seems to be the mental default.

Been teaching that for many years, both in Landing Airplanes hear at Delta Airpark and drifting cars in the Snow, and most important when riding. Does make it hard to look at the Scenery and stay on the road though , which brings up point two "First Remember to Ride the Bike" cheers

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
LIke "First Remember to Ride the Bike"! :thumb:
I remember my first lesson on Head and Eyes..... I followed another rider right off a race track by watching his rear tire instead of looking up. Doh!
I know I practice this and other good riding practices all the time, over and over, as I ride.... What else you gonna do out by yourself on a long ride?

Top Bottom