Putting ST1300 on center stand

I did it! I'm a small guy and never thought I'd ever do that. I had a VFR800 that had a center stand and it took me all that I had to get that bike up! So naturally I thought with a 1300 that would never happen. But I did it and it was so much easier than the lighter 800. I was so happy that I got it up that I decided to go ahead and change my gear oil. Another quick and easy task. I plan on doing the crankcase oil tomorrow.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The longer you own your ST the easier it will get.
Well, I had hopes this would be the case, but it was not so for me. If the ground sloped even a little uphill toward the back of the bike, it stayed on the side stand. Then I saw an ad in the for sale section here (this website). A guy my size had bought a second used center stand and had cut the foot pedal off and lengthened the arm about 2 or 3 inches. He decided to sell the bike before he put it on so I bought this modified stand. I had it powder coated, stripped the fairing (winter layup) pulled the exhaust manifold (pivoted it down so the stand axle would come out) and swapped stands. You should have seen the grin on my face the first time I tried to put the bike up after the swap. i can even put it up on the stand at a gas station if the concrete slopes uphill.

Just something to consider if it gets too hard for you. BTW, the elongated foot pedal does stick up enough that i feel it if I slide my left foot back on the foot peg. It has not been a problem in around 1k of riding.

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
There are several threads here regarding solutions to getting an ST on the main stand. I built a 2-step ramp totaling 1/2" to ease the process at home.
In the field, getting a 'run on it' lets the bikes momentum do the work. I would never start cutting and welding the OEM pieces.

Bike
2017 ST1300PA
Took me a while to get my 1100 up there. I found it helped to step on the center-stand pedal with my left foot, which allowed me to pull up and back at the same time. I'll have to try the 'momentum' trick.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don't use the little grab handle. It forces you to pull up which is counter productive. InSTead I grab the rail on the rack and roll the bike back a bit and while pushing back with the rail I stand on the CS's lever. This helps minimize the actual lifting.

It helps to keep the tires properly inflated. The stepped-ramp would be a great convenience and in a few years might be mandatory for me. I wouldn't cut or weld any OEM parts but I'm not a welder. A skilled person or professional welder should be able to perform the mod as on SMSW's CS no problem. I would just find it easier/cheaper/more expedient to make a stepped ramp.

The only time I've had trouble getting the bike up on the center stand was when it was loaded for a trip and had a flat rear tire... that is when things get tough!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I did it! I'm a small guy and never thought I'd ever do that. I had a VFR800 that had a center stand and it took me all that I had to get that bike up! So naturally I thought with a 1300 that would never happen. But I did it and it was so much easier than the lighter 800. I was so happy that I got it up that I decided to go ahead and change my gear oil. Another quick and easy task. I plan on doing the crankcase oil tomorrow.
I glad you mastered the technique the ST1300 likes to "get it up". We all know it's about technique and not brute force but if it's not easy it's not easy. All bikes are different. I'm small in stature and the 1300 is easy for me to get on the center stand but my 249 lb lighter Tiger is a bear to get up, the leverage for the stand coupled with no handle makes it harder to do. After a while I got the hang of it though so perseverance pays off.

st1300doug

Sigh...my MS keeps me from doing it. But- honestly....I've yet tried the rear tire on a board deal.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
You might need to work out more. It is not that bad. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I don't use the little grab handle. It forces you to pull up which is counter productive. InSTead I grab the rail on the rack and roll the bike back a bit and while pushing back with the rail I stand on the CS's lever. This helps minimize the actual lifting.

It helps to keep the tires properly inflated. The stepped-ramp would be a great convenience and in a few years might be mandatory for me. I wouldn't cut or weld any OEM parts but I'm not a welder. A skilled person or professional welder should be able to perform the mod as on SMSW's CS no problem. I would just find it easier/cheaper/more expedient to make a stepped ramp.
i tried to grab the rail on the rack but my arms are too short to get any leverage. The handle is for me the best point to get the bike up. I don't lift straight up but slightly toward the back and up. Also keeping the front wheel straight is key. My left hand is only holding the handle bars to keep it balanced. And straight.

I think if there were 2 foldout handles it would be ideal so my left hand could pull backwards as my right hand lifted. Just a thought.

aslo the more confident I am with this the easier it is. For the longest time I always thought the bike would fall over but noticed that if I am standing on the CS (even slightly) it won't fall over.

(Just for the record, I'm 5'7" 160lbs.)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the more confident I am with this the easier it is. For the longest time I always thought the bike would fall over but noticed that if I am standing on the CS (even slightly) it won't fall over.
It's great that you found a method that works for you. Good point about two handles.

One of most used farkles I had for my old GL1000 was a Bates Ride-Off stand. It didn't replace the center stand (which is invaluable for maintenance for some of us) but I used it a lot. If one could be fitted to the ST it would get a lot of use by me again.

Bike
2010 ST1300
There are several threads here regarding solutions to getting an ST on the main stand. I built a 2-step ramp totaling 1/2" to ease the process at home.
In the field, getting a 'run on it' lets the bikes momentum do the work. I would never start cutting and welding the OEM pieces.
I did not do the cutting and welding myself, but I had thought of this mod before I saw the ad in 'For Sale'. I am reasonably sure that I would have arrived at the same conclusion after a few more failures to get the bike up on the cs in my garage and would have done the same thing. This guy bought a used stand (my guess ebay from a wrecked bike) and made the mod. His brother is a welder and he did a fine job. I bought it, as said before, had it powder coated, and during winter layup stripped the bike and swapped the stands. While the bike was still on the dolly (huge slab of wood on casters) I tried it. I could not believe how easy the additional 2 or 3" of leverage made this task. I put the bike up on the center stand and took it down two or three times. I sat on the bike to see what the interference with the cs foot pedal and my heel would be - minimal. I was prepared to swap the stands back to OEM if there were any problems. So, this worked wonderfully for me and was a keeper! Were I to do this over, I might not extend the foot lever as far as this guy did.

I tend to agree with your point to this extent - I would really hesitate to cut and weld on an OEM piece of hardware if I did not have a stock replacement on hand.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
The 1st time you do it is the worst. Tips.
Do it on level ground not nose down.
-Forget about lifting. Ain't gonna happen.
-Make sure you're not in gear LOL.
-Center the front wheel.
-Left hand on left bar, right foot on center stand.
-Lift it off the side stand and push down on the center stand foot as you rock the bike fully upright. It'll feel like the bike will fall away from you but it won't with pressure on the center stand foot it's just putting both legs of the stand on the ground.
-Use the lift assist handle with your right hand and with steady firm pressure rock the bike backwards while keeping pressure on the center stand with your right foot. It'll hop right up.

Pulling up on the lift assist handle just wastes force you should use to move the bike backwards. It's easier to watch than describe with words but you're building momentum backwards. That does all the work. IOW force over a small bit of time backwards not a fast herculean grunt to lift the bike.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I couldn't "get it up" either when I bought the big heavy pig. After watching Daves video and reading someone on here saying "pretend you're putting your foot through the ground", it's really easy now. Don't try lifting with your arm, push down with your foot.

My fix is I took a 2"x6"x12" long board and cut a 60° angle on it, then stapled non slip drawer liner to bottom of board. Lay it about 3" behind wheel. Run bike up on it waaa laaa. Makes center stand lift effortless

Top Bottom