Question after reinstalling front wheel.

Gamecock

Hey Y'all, Watch This!
Bike
2006 FJR
Replaced the front tire and reinstalled the wheel on my '05 ST. Now that I've got it reinstalled, that paranoid voice in my head has me wondering if the front wheel is spinning as freely as it should. I'm pretty sure I have the collars/spacers installed correctly on each side and the axle nut torqued to 58 lb. The wheel spins very freely without the brake pads installed. After reinstalling the brake pads, there is a good bit of pad-to-rotor contact. I know that contact is normal, but just how much?

I know I should have noted how much wheel spin I had before I removed the front wheel, but I failed to note that. Now, a fairly vigorous spin of the wheel generates two revolutions. It takes considerable effort to get three revolutions out of it. I know those aren't very scientific measurements, but I was wondering if anybody else can confirm that is in the range of "normal."

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It sounds like everything is normal. If you know the spacers are on correctly and on the correct side it should be just fine. With new pads it will barely spin much but that's normal. Again, assuming everything is on correctly.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
sounds about right amount of spin.... noise is rubbing pads which is normal.

btw, as a note, I put arrows / r-l on my spacers with nail polish so whe they drop I don't put them in backwards :)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
sounds about right amount of spin.... noise is rubbing pads which is normal.

btw, as a note, I put arrows / r-l on my spacers with nail polish so whe they drop I don't put them in backwards :)
The tall spacer always goes on the right side, the short one on the left side (as sitting on the bike).

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
And we've even seen thse in 180d out :) Small markers don't show and when I get help doing re installs, we all get it right. I'm just a bit anal!
Honda is usually so good at making things like this obvious. I'm surprised an arrow pointing in the wheel rotation on the outside part of the spacers w/L and R stamped .. heck, you wouldn't even need the arrow.. the exposed L and exposed R would pretty much make sure you always got it right... assuming you know L from R which I've had issues with myself.. LOL

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Honda is usually so good at making things like this obvious. I'm surprised an arrow pointing in the wheel rotation on the outside part of the spacers w/L and R stamped .. heck, you wouldn't even need the arrow.. the exposed L and exposed R would pretty much make sure you always got it right... assuming you know L from R which I've had issues with myself.. LOL
But then people would get confused. Is it Left as you are looking at it sitting in front of the bike or Left when you are in the saddle.

I know that it is always as you are sitting in the saddle but there is always that bit of confusion when people are new and haven't figured it out yet.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
But then people would get confused. Is it Left as you are looking at it sitting in front of the bike or Left when you are in the saddle.

I know that it is always as you are sitting in the saddle but there is always that bit of confusion when people are new and haven't figured it out yet.
How about C or B... Clutch or Brake side..... LOL

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Port and Starboard always makes things clear (provided you know when end is forward and which is aft).

Jerseyst

Official Crown Royal TeSTer
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Start bike up and look at the headlight. The left side is where the bulb isnt working.

Top Bottom