Question on Gerbing's Heated Insoles

OP
OP
lenparkin
Bob,

You have a few connection choices. What do you want the same temperature? The insoles come with plug in wires to connect to the controller. You would need a splitter to have two items on the same controller outlet. You could also buy another controller and use the splitter off the main power source to have each item indavidually controlled.

I met a person who had four controllers, pants liner, jacket liner, socks and gloves.

Gerbing has a dealer locator on their web site. www.gerbing.com

Len

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Also, where did you purchase your set?
I got mine from Gerbing, at the Dallas Motorcycle Show. You can also order them direct (http://www.gerbing.com/Powersports/motorcycle.php). I don't see many people discounting Gerbing gear, so direct may be as good as anything. Gerbing does have a discount outlet (http://www.heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml) that sells discontinued, slightly irregular, etc. merchandise. They don't have any insoles right now, but they do have controllers and a number of other items.

RCS

I got mine from Gerbing, at the Dallas Motorcycle Show. You can also order them direct (http://www.gerbing.com/Powersports/motorcycle.php). I don't see many people discounting Gerbing gear, so direct may be as good as anything. Gerbing does have a discount outlet (http://www.heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml) that sells discontinued, slightly irregular, etc. merchandise. They don't have any insoles right now, but they do have controllers and a number of other items.
Called Gerbing and talked with them. Probably will order directly from Gerbing. My only question now is how to wire the power. I have Gerbing gloves, a jacket liner, a dual heat controller, and soon the insoles. Which two heated items would you put on the same heat controller or would you get a third controller?

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
This thread brings back memories...of intense pain! First time I relied on my Gerbing heated socks was during a "must-do" ride from Holland to Tuebingen in southern Germany in November. I had just picked up the bike from the port and had to be back at my course at the University the next day. I had planned ahead, bought the socks, tested the fit in my boots, and sorted out the wiring.

However, what I had not anticipated was the cumulative effect, over several hours, of those little heating wires being compressed into my skin by the confines of the leather boot. At first it was merely uncomfortable, but I needed the warmth. Then it became rather worrying, but I had a ways to go...but by the time I could stop again in a rest area off the Autobahn, I couldn't even walk!

Fortunately, the problem was easily solved by removing the insoles from my boots, which eliminated the pressure and felt almost orgasmic in comparison! :p:

This is no criticism of the Gerbing socks, which I went on to use on several other off-season tours within Europe--they did exactly what they were supposed to do, and felt just lovely the rest of the time. I'm surprised Gerbing has discontinued the socks, though. Like the difference between heated grips and heated gloves, I doubt there is a real comparison with heated liners.

Ciao,
ORGASMIC! man have I been missing something, I`m going to get my socks out and go for a long ride.

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
I have the Gerbing insoles. Plenty of heat on the bottoms of my feet, but the tops felt a little chilly. My boots don't have insulation there and I was just wearing thin socks. Probably need socks that are thick on top, thin on the bottom. Should note that at no time were my feet painfully cold like they usually are in the temps I was riding in (30s).

I've been experimenting with how to control a jacket, gloves and the insoles with a dual controller. So far, anything on the same controller as the jacket doesn't get as warm as I'd like unless the jacket is uncomfortably warm. My next attempt will be to split the power on one controller to the gloves and insole, with the jacket on a controller by itself.

-Steve

RCS

I have the Gerbing insoles. Plenty of heat on the bottoms of my feet, but the tops felt a little chilly. My boots don't have insulation there and I was just wearing thin socks. Probably need socks that are thick on top, thin on the bottom. Should note that at no time were my feet painfully cold like they usually are in the temps I was riding in (30s).

I've been experimenting with how to control a jacket, gloves and the insoles with a dual controller. So far, anything on the same controller as the jacket doesn't get as warm as I'd like unless the jacket is uncomfortably warm. My next attempt will be to split the power on one controller to the gloves and insole, with the jacket on a controller by itself.

-Steve
Let me know how that works. That would be my plan but I'm not sure how the insoles will workout connected on the same heat controller with the gloves. In 32 degree F temps on the highway I tend to have my gloves turned almost all the way up on the temperature controller. I'm wondering if I should also spring for a second dual heat controller - one knob to use for the insoles and the other for future expansion.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I have the insoles, and they come with a long Y harness to go down your pants. I have a very short Y harness to plug both the Warm & Safe jacket liner and insoles on the same controller. I don't have heated pant liners, don't need them with all this fairing, just put the waterproof liners in and wear long johns. If you wear fine wool socks with (or without) another thin pair over top, your feet stay warm at 30F, but the top of your foot will feel cooler... this with controller on medium. On my other controller I have heated gloves along with the heated grips..... All of this is keeping me warm enough in the low 30's, and I could ride even if it were colder, and be comfortable. Often it depends where you position your feet as well, just keep them up flat on the pegs rather than pointing down into the wind.

Bike
06' ST1300
STOC #
yes,
Bob, something you might think about is heated grips. Run the gloves and jacket together, the gloves will probably be a little cool when the jacket is just right. Then by turning on the heated grips you can make the hands comfortable. This leaves the other side of the heaTroller available for whatever, socks, liners, pants. willy
Ray beat me to it.

RCS

Okay. Placed the order tonight for the insoles, a "y" splitter, and a 24" extension cord. I'll try the gloves and insoles on one temp control unit and the jacket liner on the other temp control unit.

Gerbing will learn that the heating element only needs to be in the toe area and not over the entire insole - that will save them some $$$ in manufacturing. But, that may take some time for them. They should study the footwarmers from Hotronic. Regardless, I'll be happy to stop toting batteries around with me to power the Hotronic Footwarmers!

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
Let me know how that works. ....
I was finally able to get out and try the insoles and gloves on one controller. It seemed to work well. I was able to find a setting that kept both feet and hands comfortably warm. (Although it wasn't a very strenuous test - the temp was in the mid 40's most of the time)

-Steve

Byron

STOC #
Well one of the things I picked up at the Long Beach Motorcycle Show this year was a pair of the Gerbing heated insoles. I tried to use them yesterday when the ride to work was mid 30's but my absent mindedness prevented me from finding my Gerbing bag with my G3's and controller. :(

I was able to put them in the boots, Sidi On Road Gore-Tex, and get a feel for them. The factory liner from Sidi is thin and a flocked or cloth covered foam of some type. The Gerbing liner is a thicker rubber and tightened up the fit a little. Not enough to prevent their use and the extra hardware I carry in my left ankle probably didn't help either. It will take some time to tell if they will form at all to the bottom of your foot or not.

As previously mentioned the wire runs up the arch side of the boot. It is thin and covered in more of a rubbery material vs. plastic. This seemed to stick to the socks a little when putting your foot in the boot so you just need to trap the wire with a finger or two at the top to keep it from getting under your foot.

Last night's ride home was only 45 degrees so the feet were not really cold, at least I wasn't uncomfortable. This morning I remembered where my Gerbing bag was and was able to actually give them a real try. It was 45 this morning so not terribly cold. When first turned on, dual controller, I set them to barely on. After a couple of minutes it seemed that I wasn't feeling anything so I cranked up the controller and gave myself a hot foot. :nuke1: After making some more adjustments I found a comfortable setting and rode the rest of the way to work in total warmth.

I think it takes a little bit for the insole material to start radiating the heat. It also seems to hold or stabilize the heat pretty well. I have the Gerbing heated socks and they would keep the top of the foot warm but left a little to be desired on the bottom of the foot. I know this is because they didn't run any or as much heating wire on the bottom. With the insoles warming the bottom of my feet, circulation must have kept the tops of my feet comfortable because I didn't notice them being cold. 45 isn't that bad in my book so we'll have to report back once I've been out in a little colder weather.

What I like about the insoles is that you can wear clean socks every day on trips and not be washing socks in a sink at night hoping they'll be dry in the morning. If your boot are already a snug fit you may need to go to a lighter sock, unless the insole compress a little with use.

They get a BIG thumbs up in my book.

Bike
ST1300/HD FB
Buyers Tip:

The upper 1/4" or so of the Gerbing heated insole does not contain any wiring (and therefor does not produce heat)...therefor you may want to consider purchasing a larger size and trimming back that 1/4" area so that the top of your toes receive heat.

Herb

Top Bottom