Question re new pads

Bike
All of them !
STOC #
I just put new EBC pads (rear) on my ST1300. I spun the wheel and it turned fairly free, but I did notice the slight sound of the pads. Went on a test ride, 3mi to see how everything was, braking normal. I felt of the rotor and it was warm, felt the front and it was cool. Do you think I have a problem. Will this resolve itself with "break in" .

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have found that it normally resolves itself after riding in some stop and go traffic, or around town riding....Anything requiring frequent braking.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
The sound you heard was most likely the new pad rubbing on the disc. Disc brake pads always rub slightly, and with new pads, you have a thicker surface, thus the enhanced sound. The fact that the wheel spins freely tells you that you have everything put back correctly.

Also, the rear disc will run warmer than the front. Less airflow, plust you have the heat of the bike, rear axle, etc. in that area that contributes to the warmth on the disc.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Do you think I have a problem
No, the new pads have to 'mate' with the rotor... A litlle bit more drag noise in the beginning but as long as the wheel isn't binding.
After 100 miles it should be a bit quietier.

The real test of a rear brake problem is HOT, Very HOT on the rear rotor..... MAY be a sign of the Secondary Master Cylinder sticking

Bike
2006 ST1300
I just went through this also. Put on front pads and the front wheel would only make 1/2 a turn when spun. I was all ready (but pissed it was needed already) to do a caliper rebuild but thought I'd give the pads a chance to bed. After 150 miles the wheel now spins 2 revs when spun.

So as long as you cleaned the pistons before shoving them flush into the caliper, let the pads wear in first.

Bike
2007 ST
I just put new EBC pads (rear) on my ST1300. I spun the wheel and it turned fairly free, but I did notice the slight sound of the pads. Went on a test ride, 3mi to see how everything was, braking normal. I felt of the rotor and it was warm, felt the front and it was cool. Do you think I have a problem. Will this resolve itself with "break in" .
Thanks for asking this, I also just put new EBC pads on the rear.

Top Bottom