Question: The brake pad heat shields. How important are they?

Bike
06 ST1300
As in the title. How important would you say that the "brake pad heat shields" are in general?

I ask mainly because of two things.
  1. The new brake pads are hard to fit with the heat shields mounted.
  2. I have had a couple of XL1000V (Varadero), and two CBR1100XX (Blackbird) and I have previously never bothered with the heat shields. And have "never ever" had heat- related problems with brakes on a motorcycle.
I did install them this time. Mostly because this is a heavier bike than I'm used to, but ask for future reference.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I wouldn't install the pads without them. Honda determined that they are needed and I see no reason to second guess them.

I have never had trouble fitting new pads with the heat shields in place. I suggest that if you are having trouble it is not because of the presence of the heat shields as they are supposed to be there. Having another look might be in order as there may be something amiss.

Have a look through the below article for a whole bunch of tips.
ST1300 Maintenance - Brakes- Avoiding the Pitfalls

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I think, but am not sure, some guys have reported that aftermarket pads are slightly thicker and difficult to fit when new. That said, most here prefer the OEM pads, and they fit fine w/ the shields.
I was about to report the same. I don't trust the 3rd party products to reproduce the exact thickness of the OEM friction material.

That said, I see no reason one couldn't ride with the aftermarket pads for a few thousand miles and then install the heat shields once some material has worn off.

My preference on this bike is to stay OEM wherever possible. It's too fraught with idiosyncrasies to rely on the third party offerings in key systems like the brake components (says the guy with the ebay CBR1000RR adjustable clutch lever :) ).

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
1711668627547.pngThey are only needed on the rear. The front pads get enough cold air flowing past them to cool them down very quickly.
In fact if you try to fit them on the front with new pads, you will have difficulty riding off - there isn't enough clearance when the pads are new.

The STs have exhaust pipes running close to the brakes. The rear brake is used all of the time on the St1300 and on the ST1100Abs/Cbs models. There are panniers in the way of getting the full blast of cooling air, and the rear caliper and disc are in the airflow of a hot engine. The insulation prevents the heat from the friction of the pads from reaching the pistons and then being passed to the brake fluid.

The OEM rear pads are really quite thick compared to aftermarket pads. Companies like EBC tend to make pads that will fit both front and rear. The rear calipers are designed to cope with the OEM thicker pads - although I do know that the current EBC pads for the front of the ST1100ABS/CBS are a tad tight - they need to be sanded down a bit in order to fit. I used them many years ago. There were no fitting issues then, but I really didn't like them. Noisy, got clogged up with road grime too quickly (only one channel for debris to escape), rear wore out too quickly, backing plate was much thinner. It's not a very good sample size: just my own experience from fitting them once, and from observing my brother fitting them recently. I won't fit them again - I always buy Honda OEM -in fact I always have one new set in stock, so I am not tempted by the ticket price. I buy a new set as soon as I fit my stock set.

In the pic on the right - two OEM pads (rear and front) back to back - the left hand pad is the one for the rear - the friction material is considerably thicker. The right hand pad is the front. Both have the chrome anti-squeal plate fitted. Only the left hand (rear) one has the white heat insulation pad fitted between the pad backing plate and the chrome squeal plate.

The pads shown are for the pre 2008 St1300 models. The rear is the same design throughout. The front pads changed from 2008 onwards.

Last edited:
never heard them called heat shields before .... I'm NOT 100% convinced that is what they are for exactly , we would call them shims and they do have a purpose (so yes , I always fit / transfer to new pads)

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Are you sure we are talking about the same thing ?

1711735847687.png

This is the only photo that I can find on my computer that shows them a bit more clearly.

From left to right - rear pad - front pad - metal / chromed anti-squeal plate - white heat shield.

[edit]
At least - that is what I have always thought that they were called. I note that EBC calls the metal plates 'Shims' and say that they are there to reduce heat transfer. But other sources say that thay are to prevent the noise/chatter/squeal.

Maybe I am wrong !

Whatever - the front pads should not be fitted with that white piece. When new, there is not enough room for it and the brakes will drag, which on the 1300 will cause the rear brake to drag significantly more. Front pads are not provided with the white piece by Honda. The rear pads are.

Last edited:
not sure at all ... white jobbie I would not be using , just the steel bits .... shims ..... front and rear.

Bike
R1200rt
As in the title. How important would you say that the "brake pad heat shields" are in general?

I ask mainly because of two things.
  1. The new brake pads are hard to fit with the heat shields mounted.
  2. I have had a couple of XL1000V (Varadero), and two CBR1100XX (Blackbird) and I have previously never bothered with the heat shields. And have "never ever" had heat- related problems with brakes on a motorcycle.
I did install them this time. Mostly because this is a heavier bike than I'm used to, but ask for future reference.
This from Bendix explains it all, no guessing https://www.bendix.com.au/news-events/bendix-explains-brake-shims-and-why-theyre-important#:~:text=Brake shims are an important,helping to prevent small vibrations.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
From my library of ST1300 photos...

Front on the left, rear on the right. Two of each pad are included to show front and back sides of each.

20220606_220153.jpg

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't know. It feels like a hard plastic material of some sort. But it has got to withstand heat and pressure. I've never looked closely. I thought it was woven inside on some early ones, but may be mistaken. I have part used pads in my drawers, I'll take a look next time I'm in the garage.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
1711808594909.pngI definitely agree - heat shield, but it is not ceramic. It is really quite soft, and appears to be a laminate - there is evidence of a woven pattern showing through the surface of an old one that I have just recovered. I cannot feel the weave with my thumbnail, but the dirt has found its way into the weave pattern OK.

Also on the edge - it appears to be a sandwich - with short fibres protruding - viewed through a hand lens.

The white surface scratches easily with the edge of ordinary mild steel, but not with the edge of a copper banjo bolt washer. The white plate in question will put a mark on the face of the copper washer. So that is a hardness of about 3.5 (Mohs Scale - where steel is 6.5, quartz is 7. Ceramic is usually just below quartz)

It is also flexible-ish. I can bend it in a slight arc, but I feel that it would snap if I tried much harder, so I didn't. It is 'warm' to the touch - ie it doesn't feel cold like say a coin would. There is no significant weight to it - it feels lighter than the metal antisqueal plate.

It has the look and feel of a sheet of fibreglass / resin - but it isn't that - when you sand the edge of it, it doesn't smell like fibreglass resin So my best guess is something like the polycarbonates from which some crash helmets are made.

A quick search describes Polycarbonate sheet as being:
  • Fire-resistant
  • Vandal-proof
  • Hardwearing
  • Insulating
  • Lightweight
  • Easy to machine
It seems feasible - but I am way out of my depth here. I haven't got a clue - except when using a few geological tricks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom