Questions about the Darkside

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Less than 2500 miles ago I put on The Metzler Z6 interacts, 120/70/18 front and 160/60/17 back on my 1991 ST 1100. Running 40 psi front and 38 psi rear. Most of this 2500 has been two up. I have absolutley shreaded the rear tire. The center is flat and the sides are gone with thred showing. Ridges sparate center and sides. So first what causes this type of ware? The riding has been everything from interstate to the most challenging roads here in Colorado.

Before I move to another tire I need to determine what caused this tire to be gone in 2500 miles.

Now to the darkside. I have never run CT's so what can one expect on the twsties with CT's? I would exepct on the straight roads things would not be to different. I need to chase this down quik as I cannot ride my bike with the tire that is on it.

Thanks.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
What can you expect, fun, fun, fun. I am running the Sumitomo. You are going to get thumbs up and thumbs down. I will go C/T again, as will many of us that have tried them. Has not slowed me down any. 8k on mine and many more to go.

Kevin

I just saw you have an 1100, you have more to do than just mount the tire. I will let the 1100 owners fill in those things needed to mount up a C/T. Calling George or Mark.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
You had better find out what is wrong with your bike before gong dark side. Even race tires last that long!!!

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
My last Z6 tires lasted only 6000 miles and that was a single rider and mostly cool weather. Add some high heat and two up and added luggage. if your hard on the gas and hard ion the brakes I could see you toasting a tire in 2500-3000 miles.

There is a bit more work involved to convert a ST1100 to the dark side.. First thing is you will need to get a new real wheel and some spacers to adapt the new wheel.. Mark and George will be much better at explaining it.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Thanks for the link. This looks like a little to much work for right now. It may make an interesting winter project. Which Gold wing wheel is needed? Oh yea before someone says that back one I got that much. Model and year will work. I have a good salvage yard by me so they just might have something.

I still need to resolve why this tire did not last. I am thinking is was under pressured. Between myself, my wife, bags full and a fair size tour master backback I am guessing about 440 to 460 lbs loaded. But no peg scraping, just good spirited riding. Or is it just a bad tire size choice 160/60/17 instead of the stock 160/70/17?

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Low pressure will destroy a tire in no time. I would bet you picked up something and lost pressure so gradually that you didn't notice. While pulling a single wheel trailer I did that and the 24 pounds it had when I notice had turned a brand new PR3 into a junk tire.
You need a GL 1500 wheel. Any year as long as it has the 5 finger drive, not the earlier 4 finger ones.

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I have about 3000 miles so far and have no regrets!
I think the tire took a few hundred miles to scuff in and feel right to me but now peg dragging as before.
You will feel the road transitions more as well as ruts like from logging trucks and as I found out yesterday in St Augustine,
Horse ruts.
Make the move and you will never look back!

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I still need to resolve why this tire did not last. I am thinking is was under pressured. Between myself, my wife, bags full and a fair size tour master backback I am guessing about 440 to 460 lbs loaded. But no peg scraping, just good spirited riding. Or is it just a bad tire size choice 160/60/17 instead of the stock 160/70/17?
Most definitely under-inflation. 38 is way to low for bikes in this class. I have run several Z6's, and they are a tire that grips well in any conditions. Therefore the side compounds are a touch softer than many others. The PR2 is harder, e.g. So, the Z6's will be a good wearing tire at the right pressures but not classed as a long-wearing tire.
IMHO with the Z6, you should run 42 psi one-up and 44 when two-up. In my experience, less heat is generated and the tires will last longer. 40-42 is good on the front.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Thanks for all of the input on this tire wear issue. A couple of things from the shop where I got the tire. The load rating for the 160/60 Z6 is 69, which is also not the reccommended tire size for the ST1100. That was my fault. The 160/70 Z6 which is the reccommended tire size has a load rating of 73. With two up they felt that the tire failed due to it's load rating being less than what is reccomened for the bike especially with two up and gear.

I am sure that this will bring lots of comments, but all I am doing is repeating what I have been told. I think that between the load rating and running at 38 psi both may have contributed to this failure. On the bright side my wife and I did make it home without the tire blowing out.

Top Bottom