Quieted down my Two Bros...Tamed them ! LOL

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
I'll get a pic up, I didn't take pics of the entire procedure unfortunately, so will only have a pic of the final product which you can't see much...

but anyway, the Two Bros pipes I thought were a bit louder then I wanted, I only use them for around town blasting, any trips I will swap back out to stock pipes because I value listening to my music too much, but I still thougth it was a bit too loud for around town...

so I thought about it, went to home depot, rona, canadian tire (all automotive and hardware related places) last weekend, picked up some materials, came home and I made my own baffles for it, stuffed it into the pipe, now the pipes sound the way I wanted them to, removed a nasty resonance I had @ approx. 3000rpm, still has a nice throaty exhaust tone, AND on the dyno it produced more HP then stock...I think I reduced total noise by about 25-30% from seat of the pants ear drum meter...

put on about 500km on them so far and they sound exactly the way I wanted them to in the beginning...

happy camper here !

Last edited:
OP
OP

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
for the core, i used stainless steel mesh/weave that is from the flooring department, wrap that around with different densities of steel wool from the paint department, and bought stainless wire from the picture frame department to bind the whole thing together, i used the wire with my safety wire tool (used for race bikes) and tied everything up, wrap the whole thing around a 1.2-1.5" steel pipe to use as a base core so that it would hold some shape, when the whole sha-bang went in i slide the steel pipe out so only leaving the steel weave mesh inside, it worked fantastically well, cost about 10 bucks in materials per side max...

OP
OP

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
i could have "de-riveted" the pipes and "re-reivted" them back together but I got lazy and built the entire baffle to be 2" in diameter since that is the diameter of the external inlet (not the outlet oval), this allowed me to just slide the unit in, since the steel wool is on the outside, I didn't bind the wire super tight, so when it got inside and the internal core diameter of a TwoBros pipe it can expand and just sit nicely inside, the internal core diameter of a TBR pipe is 2.25"...i took it on the dyno the only movement of the baffle was during the dyno run, a little bit of steel wool came out the back, but only after it had repeated runs up to and including bouncing off the rev limiter by the mechanic...it only came out when the fireballs started to shoot out the back...but with the other 500km i've put on there has been no movement in the baffle...its worked great and I'm happy that it only cost me $10 in materials to do it, lol...

OP
OP

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
nightrdr: I'll have to double check my package, I thought I bought the stainless type...

dwr: unless my memory is failing me :D :D i think i was at 106.9 stock before and now i'm at 108.9...with the TBR before I put the home-made baffles in I think it cranked out a 110 or 111, forgot which...all done on the same shop's dyno, of course every dyno is a bit dif from the next so other peoples numbers might be dif. but the dif. between the numbers would be about the same in my opinion...

Top Bottom