R1200RT impressions

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Had my 2013 R1200RT for a week now and put a few miles on her as well as having put 600+ miles on a 2015 while on vacation in Palo Alto. So wanted to offer up my thoughts on her.

Engine: Definitely different from an ST. I've heard the boxer called agricultural which is sort of accurate but also not, because at speed the engine is like no agricultural engine I've experienced. At idle, there's clearly and big twin firing off below. Off idle it is smooth and revs willingly to redline. It has plenty of torque throughout the rev range. Fueling is spot on. Sound-wise I prefer the big boxer thump to the ST whine.

Cockpit: The throttle is light and responsive without a hint of jerkiness off idle. The clutch is very light and progressive. I test rode a 2006 RT before I bought my ST. That RT had a very jerky clutch engagement so I expected a juddery engagement but the 2013 is smooth as butter pulling away. Wind management is very good. I'm 5'9" the shield does an excellent job at directing wind over my head. It could be a tad wider so there may be a different screen in the future. Controls all fall to hand very naturally for me.

Transmission: Ah yes, if there's a place where the ST shines it's the gearbox. The Beemer's gearbox is not as light and has definite clunk if first is engaged while rolling to a stop. Once stopped however, first can be selected without a sound. Going up through the gears is smooth if the shifter is preloaded. Now my 2013 has 55,000 miles on it and I have read that the gearbox improves with miles so that's a consideration. By way of comparison my ST has 42,000 miles.

Brakes: When I got my ST is was blown away by the brakes. Given the weight they have to slow down they are darn impressive. Likewise the brakes on the RT. Powerful and progressive with good feel. The biggest difference comes by way of the Telelever front suspension which prevents dive on hard braking. It's a bit disconcerting at first but with time it seems completely normal.

Suspension: My RT has ESA and there is a definite difference between normal comfort and sport, one up and two up. Here, the RT is definitely better than my ST as it feels controlled and steady in all circumstances.

Heat: Not much to say here because there is none that I can detect. Contrast that to my ST which has given my inner thigh a first degree burn on a 38 deg C day.

Ergonomics: My RT has .75" bar risers and the riding position is all-day comfortable. I have not had the chance to do an all day or multi day ride on the RT but my time on the 2015 in Palo Alto was very comfortable.

Creature comforts: Heated grips, heated seats, cruise. What's not to love?

Weight: The RT is 570 lbs all wet, the 160lb difference between an ST is significant. The weight is carried lower so the bike feels more tossable. And it's definitely easier to push around.

I liked my ST a lot. Great engine and gearbox. All day comfort.

But I really like the RT.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Glad you're enjoying it David.
I haven't spent much time on new boxers but the old airhead gearboxes never ran into a smooth zone, regardless of mileage. I think they would say it's characterful.
Enjoy it, especially the missing 160lb.
Upt.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
My '21 gearbox is great. The quick shifter is smooth except for 1st to 2nd... there's a sweet spot where that's smooth but normally I just use the clutch. If you are on the throttle hard the quickshift from 1-2 will pull the front wheel up.

The rest of the way 2-6th and 6th all the way to 1st is smooth even coming to a stop so they definitely try to improve things along the way.

Glad you like the RT, I'm still impressed by mine every time I ride it.

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
My '21 gearbox is great. The quick shifter is smooth except for 1st to 2nd... there's a sweet spot where that's smooth but normally I just use the clutch. If you are on the throttle hard the quickshift from 1-2 will pull the front wheel up.

The rest of the way 2-6th and 6th all the way to 1st is smooth even coming to a stop so they definitely try to improve things along the way

Glad you like the RT, I'm still impressed by mine every time I ride it.
Time to add someting to "This site, while focusing primarily on the Honda ST1100 and ST1300 motorcycles, welcomes anyone interested in Sport Touring.":twocents1: majority rules.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Glad you are enjoying your BMW. Three times I have tried to buy BMW's...an R75, an R90-S, and a Rockster, but each time a test ride convinced me it wasn't the bike for me. I have to admit I haven't ridden one of the newest ones, but they are still the same opposed twin boxer motor. Are the opposing t/s switches still on the opposite sides?

Same with Moto Guzzi's. I have ridden quite a few of them. Eldorado 850, Breva 750, V7, Griso and Norge, and although I love the looks of them I just can't get used to their "idiosyncrasies".

Guess I am just a Japanese motorcycle kinda guy, although I must admit the pulse of the 270-degree P twin in my NC 750 still annoys me going on 2 1/2 years and over 40,000 miles lol. Guess I'm really a liter class I-4 & V4 Japanese kinda guy lol.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Glad you are enjoying your BMW. Three times I have tried to buy BMW's...an R75, an R90-S, and a Rockster, but each time a test ride convinced me it wasn't the bike for me. I have to admit I haven't ridden one of the newest ones, but they are still the same opposed twin boxer motor. Are the opposing t/s switches still on the opposite sides?

Same with Moto Guzzi's. I have ridden quite a few of them. Eldorado 850, Breva 750, V7, Griso and Norge, and although I love the looks of them I just can't get used to their "idiosyncrasies".

Guess I am just a Japanese motorcycle kinda guy, although I must admit the pulse of the 270-degree P twin in my NC 750 still annoys me going on 2 1/2 years and over 40,000 miles lol. Guess I'm really a liter class I-4 & V4 Japanese kinda guy lol.
I can’t remember what year BMW went to a conventional turn signal arrangement but my 2013 has the switch on the left side.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I can’t remember what year BMW went to a conventional turn signal
I know for sure the 2010 had conventional switch on the left side of handlebar and the 08 had the old two switch layout not sure the layout the 09 had.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Engine: Definitely different from an ST. I've heard the boxer called agricultural which is sort of accurate but also not, because at speed the engine is like no agricultural engine I've experienced. At idle, there's clearly and big twin firing off below. Off idle it is smooth and revs willingly to redline. It has plenty of torque throughout the rev range. Fueling is spot on. Sound-wise I prefer the big boxer thump to the ST whine.
When I bought the RT I was a little disappointed in the performance compared to the ST1100 but soon found that it just needed a few more revs to give the big push.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I bought the RT I was a little disappointed in the performance compared to the ST1100 but soon found that it just needed a few more revs to give the big push.
I owned the 1300 and in every objective measure of acceleration and top speed against 2005-2013 1200s the ST wins hands down and it's smooth power delivery puts a lump (literally) on the boxer's somewhat uneven fueling. That 90 degree V4 with dual counter balancers in the 1300 sets a very high bar for smoothness for any 4 cylinder motor much less a twin. The Honda V4 does not have the iconic status of the BMW opposed twin boxer motor but the millions of yen Honda spent on it's refinement shows. It's a great motor, delivering loads of smooth torque in any gear at virtually any rpm on the tach. Low maintenance and long lasting too, with various forum members routinely rolling up multiples of hundreds of thousands of miles on 1100s and 1300s.

However a touring or sport touring motorcycle is more than it's raw performance numbers. Simply put the more I ride my 2007 RT the more I like it and I don't miss my ST at all. The contemporary and current RTs combine superior suspension & road manners, standard features (ABS/cruise) plus optional audio and adjustable suspension, wind management, and load carrying ability in a way that so far has driven demand on BMW to improve and refine their products. In 2024 BMW still builds and sells RTs and Honda left the marketplace instead of refining the ST. I rode an ST1300 for a long time and often thought I'd always own one as long as riding provides the pleasure it does but I changed horses four years ago and wouldn't go back. The service needs for my bike are minimal and so far (146,xxx miles) it's been reliable and easy to maintain at home.

Personally this is a big thing for me as I used to disparage BMW here and elsewhere but I guess it is an example of the ability to change my mind as long as I keep it open to other opinions.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have tried Hondas, Yamahas, a suzuki and now the BMW. Every single one has documented issues, some major some minor. But, they've all been great bikes and each was better at some things that others weren't.

I've been considering a 2nd bike and The Triumph 1200 explorer GT, BMW 1250RS, BMW F900 GS Adventure, Tracer 9GT+, or even another Super Tenere... then I take the RT for a ride and don't know why I'd want another bike. Lol

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I have tried Hondas, Yamahas, a suzuki and now the BMW. Every single one has documented issues, some major some minor. But, they've all been great bikes and each was better at some things that others weren't.

I've been considering a 2nd bike and The Triumph 1200 explorer GT, BMW 1250RS, BMW F900 GS Adventure, Tracer 9GT+, or even another Super Tenere... then I take the RT for a ride and don't know why I'd want another bike. Lol
In a weird but obviously destined twist of fate, I only saw the RT because I went to the dealer to sit on an 1250RS and a Triumph 900GT Pro.
I saw the RT back in July when it was a trade-in but hadn’t had the final drive seals replaced.
When I walked into the dealership two Saturdays ago to see the RS and Triumph there it was calling out to me

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'll always enjoy my ST1300, but it also took no time for me to enjoy the 1250 GSA.

Both are fantastic engines, both are plenty quick - although my penchant for "quickness" has subsided throughout the years - both are, to me, easily maneuverable at slow speed, well-balanced, and both are supremely comfortable for touring.

I'm fortunate in that, unlike some of us here at my age, I don't yet find the "weight" objectionable or tiring on either one. The weather protection, suspension, and flickability still impress me, for therm both to be such "big" bikes. And either one still hops up on the centerstand without strain.

On the road, there are more similarities than differences for my (generally) unhurried riding style, yet I know the throttle will pick up the pace whenever I ask, and both are as "sporty" as I require from time to time when the road turns windey.

That said, I do appreciate the cruise control and heated elements of the GSA, in addition to the 6th gear. Top gear on the GSA doesn't reduce freeway RPM like I would have thought, though.

IndyRob

Site Supporter
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
Looking at the 2024 R1250RT now to replace my 31 year old ST1100 before I prepare to do several thousand miles out to Colorado, Banff CA, Montana and Idaho. Even though I have no known issues in the ST, I'm not sure I want to trust a 31 year old machine to make this trip (although I am going on 61 myself, so there's that... :cool: ). And, I am ready to have some of the niceties that come along with a newer ride, such as heated stuff, adaptive cruise control, a radio, built in NAV, and oh, something brand new called "ABS". (sarcasm intended!).

Drove the 2024 DCT GoldWing yesterday and it's still just a little too much bike for my liking. Did not care for the DCT either, but apparently they are outselling the manuals something like 5:1 so the dealers seem to stock many more DCT Wings. The R1250RT is almost 200 pounds lighter with more HP but haven't driven one yet so not sure what I'll think about the boxer engine.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I prefer the RT over the GW. Others are the opposite.

Just test ride one. There are things I would probably like on the wing over the RT but every time I get on the RT I can't believe how much I like the bike.

Again, test ride both if you can and go from there.

Top Bottom