R1200RT impressions

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I think in 2010 the switch gear changed for the turn signals so maybe the cruise did as well. On my bike there was a recall on the cruise control switch and it was replaced by an updated unit.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think in 2010 the switch gear changed for the turn signals so maybe the cruise did as well. On my bike there was a recall on the cruise control switch and it was replaced by an updated unit.
I was actually pretty far off in my earlier description of how much roll off is needed to cancel CC. I’m out riding today and found it takes very little pressure to disengage it but it’s still smoother for me to brush the brake pedal while maintaining speed with steady throttle.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Boxer engines are great. Not only a claim to fame in the BMW world, Goldwing engines are also boxers!
Not sure why no one has cleared up this misconception but Honda’s flat 6 engine is not a Boxer. A flat (horizontal 180 degree V) engine uses one crankpin per two horizontally opposed cylinders, the two opposing cylinders reach TDC 180 degrees out from each other (never appearing to be boxing). The boxer mill is a special case of flat engine that employs one crankpin per cylinder, the two cylinders opposing each other reach TDC at the same time (boxing).

Tom

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Let's get technical.
In my ignorance of current GW engine layout, I'm now edumacated.
It IS a distinction with a difference, thank you.

TPadden

Tom Padden
A non-boxer flat twin would have one helluva side-to-side wiggle.
I think the early ones were mounted in line with the frame ...or industrial and marine and not used in vehicles. Maytag even used its Model 72 3/4 HP flat-twin engines to power washing machines. :thumb:

Tom

Maytag

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A non-boxer flat twin would have one helluva side-to-side wiggle.
BMW boxer twins have always had a rocking torque couple because the crankpins are not in the same vertical plane. As the pistons accelerate and decelerate in time to crankshaft rotation the amount of crankpin offset creates the couple. This torque couple yaws the engine back and forth around the vertical axis. When the engines were 600cc or less and pretty much every other manufacturer was building singles and parallel twins with natural imbalances of greater magnitude, the boxer twin was considered very smooth however when the displacement grew over 750cc and Japanese inline fours became commonplace BMW boxers were no longer the smoothest engines in the market. By the time the displacement grew to 1200cc in the 2004 R1200GS (actually 1170) BMW added a counter balance shaft to reduce the torque couple.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
I think the early ones were mounted in line with the frame ...or industrial and marine and not used in vehicles. Maytag even used its Model 72 3/4 HP flat-twin engines to power washing machines. :thumb:

Tom

Maytag
And they made a great go kart engine.

Top Bottom