R1200RT

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Maybe I am just to concerned about the handle bar vibes. I would probably have to rent the rt for a long weekend to find out.:)
To me the vibes aren't pesky high frequency ones like those of some singles and inline fours - boxer twins have a low frequency thudding type of pulse that some folks like or don't notice as objectionable. My old R100 had them and they were never objectionable but when I ride newer boxers thru the camheads I think the Bavarians have not made much progress in 30 years in this regard. However I think that like big v-twin fans the buying public expects the right kind of vibration and boxer owners like it as part of the character of the boxer. BMW learned this lesson with the introduction of the K bike and near bankruptcy that followed when boxer owners did not buy the new K bikes and BMW was forced to continue building airheads for the faithful until the oilhead was ready.

I have had three RT12's and I love them. I never had any problems with any of them, and they really strike a nice balance of comfort and lighter weight.

That said, I would wait for the new RT coming out next year with the water cooled boxer. I rode the new GS, and the new boxer is a sublime powerhouse. I never thought I'd say that about a boxer twin, but it is remarkably more powerful, and noteably smoother than the current RT boxer.

As for the FJR, I test rode one a month or so ago. Nice, but I did not like it more than my Concours C14. I find my C14 to be smoother, better wind management, and the 6th gear on the c14 is nicer on the hwy.

Bike
Kawasaki Versys 1000
Just wanted to thank ST090 for a really excellent post on the valve jobs for the BMW RT. It seems so easy compared to most other bikes. I think the FJR is 26,000 miles vs 6000 on the Beemer. San Jose BMW has posted a pictorial of the semi-sphere valve adjustment. http://sanjosebmw.smugmug.com/Other/Tech-pictures/10976964_bHf66#!i=767209614&k=BmBc5cN
I do all my own work and suddenly the BMW seems like a top contender over the FJR. Be my luck that Honda comes out with the new 650 lb ST1600 ABS the minute I get back home with an RT. Currently on an 850 lb Cruiser Triumph.

Bike
'13 Yamaha ST
Anything Honda is going to put out will need to be reasonable in price. The new RT coming out, which is suppose to be not only very noticeable increase in power (based on the new GS), but also smoothness. You look at the current new price difference and it isn't much. And BMW has all the factory options that is aftermarket on the Honda.

I know I am keeping an eye on Honda, as I will be looking to replace my current bike in several years as a retirement "gift". And even though I am enjoying my RT, Honda will still stay in the running.

Mark

Top Bottom