Rabaconda Tire Changer

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
Portable and convenient for sure. I also like the ratchet style hub. Allows the user to position it to the best spot for mounting and dismounting.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
This looks very interesting... portable, duck head mount. I'm looking at other reviews but I may have to sell the no-mar.

I too have been researching this one. One video had a tire that was really seated on the bead. Said it was a Battlax. He did not struggle removing it.

I have a NO-MAR Classic with pedestal and receiver mount. POSI-CLAMPS. Any one near me wants it, PM me and we will talk $$.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I don't ride enough to even consider changing tires myself. I don't even take wheels off the bike to take them in anymore. It's just not worth the time and effort to me.

Just curious, though, what is the cost range of tire changers? I want to see how many changes at the shop the same money would cover. And that's without my labor.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Michelin's do not have a balancing dot.
Cutbacks everywhere now eh?

I don't ride enough to even consider changing tires myself. I don't even take wheels off the bike to take them in anymore. It's just not worth the time and effort to me.
Just curious, though, what is the cost range of tire changers? I want to see how many changes at the shop the same money would cover. And that's without my labor.
Dunno, I'd need to take a full day off work, drop the MC off there in the morning, argue about what tires they (don't) have, get a rental to get home, wait for their call some-when in the afternoon, ride the rental back, drop it off, get my receipt sorted, pay a small fortune, complain about scratches on wheels and other parts, pray silently that they've done all properly (incl the Moly issue)...

Got sick of the routine, having your own shed/shop with proper tools is priceless...

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Interesting machine.

Having that duckhead toward the bottom and doing touring tires could be a challenge. Doing touring tires are a challenge however you chose to change them.

He is correct about one thing, WARM THE TIRE. And clean the old rubber off the rim sealing surface.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Plus, I've had to take tires off before that had 1k left on them easily... but I have a big trip coming up and it's very expensive to get tires on the road than at home when you can order them and even if a dealership is charging a lot to install, at least you save on the tire cost itself.

With a tire changer you can put that used tire back on if you know you just have a few small RTEs or commute rides and can wear that out.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I like the portability of the Rabaconda vs the No-Mar I was eyeing up if nothing else for the sake of storage space.
Some of the user videos are really painful to watch, though.
Edit: I just noticed the proper head for my GS spoke wheels is an extra $45 plus an adapter for the BMW hubs for $39 which makes for around $700. The No-Mar classic on a hitch mount is under $550 (shipping not considered.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I like the portability of the Rabaconda vs the No-Mar I was eyeing up if nothing else for the sake of storage space.
Some of the user videos are really painful to watch, though.
Yeah, helps to mute lol

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
It all depends on your situation. I have a local shop that will order the tire I want, and install/balance for $30 each. They will meet or come close to internet price, especially with shipping charges. Since the shop is 10min from my house, I remove the wheels one evening, drop them off on my way home next day and pick them up in a day or two. Rabaconda is $600+? That pays for 10 tire changes, and a lot less labor. I would consider sharing one with 1-2 other riders, maybe a few of my friends would be interested, make the cost more palatable. Of course if I owned multiple machines, or didn't have a good local shop, etc. it becomes more attractive. Its a very cool tool. RT

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Mounted front/ rear BS T32 in the last month. Old Harbor Freight=modified changer. He sure did make it look easy. My bar used to break a tire bead is 5 foot long, I'm old. I believe he has mounted THAT tire with machine a few X's?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Of course if I owned multiple machines, or didn't have a good local shop, etc. it becomes more attractive.
I'm with @Mellow there: planning a long trip? Get new tires on, keep the 1/2 used ones as spare...
And between me, my GF, a friend and his wife we've:
2x ST1100
1x ST1300
2x NT700
1x NC750
1x ER-5 (Kawa)
(1x Z750 Kawa, project)
(2x CB500/4, projects)
plus the occasional "walk-ins"... ;)

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I'm with @Mellow there: planning a long trip? Get new tires on, keep the 1/2 used ones as spare...
And between me, my GF, a friend and his wife we've:
2x ST1100
1x ST1300
2x NT700
1x NC750
1x ER-5 (Kawa)
(1x Z750 Kawa, project)
(2x CB500/4, projects)
plus the occasional "walk-ins"... ;)
You are the target market! I don't mess around with used tires. Even if I had a changer, there's a labor cost to pulling wheels. When I buy tires, I buy two, and install two. With the OEM tires on my ST1100 I find the front and rear wear out at a similar rate, so putting a new set on every season takes care of it. I envy people with enough time to mess around with their own tire shop. I have too many projects as it is and must focus on a specific few or no progress will be made. YRMV

Top Bottom