Race Tech Gold Valve Questions

Bike
05 ST1300
I bought a Gold Valve front fork kit at Westoc last year. I decided it was time to put it in, and it appears that I'm missing the rebound valves in the package. I've got the new compression valve assemblies, also the little package that holds all the little bits incl Loctite red that are for the rebound valves, but not the rebound valves themselves.

So here's the questions - Has anyone bought this setup and put it in themselves? Should there be new rebound gold valves, or is that optional and all the little bits go on the old rebound valves?

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
One side becomes your compression fork and the other side becomes your rebound fork. Thus the reason you have to drill some 1/4 holes in the internal tube only on one side.

So one of the gold valves works on the compression stroke and the other on the rebound stroke.

Sent from my RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Art Franz
Bike
05 ST1300
One side becomes your compression fork and the other side becomes your rebound fork. Thus the reason you have to drill some 1/4 holes in the internal tube only on one side.

So one of the gold valves works on the compression stroke and the other on the rebound stroke.
After several conversations with the good folks at Racetech, the conclusion that was made, is that somehow the rebound valves are missing from the package. The compression valves are both there, the shims and installation parts are there that are necessary for the installation of the rebound valves, but no rebound valves themselves.

If I remember correctly, all of the various parts were on display at Westoc last year, and somehow the rebound valves must have gotten separated. I received what was 'left over'.

Racetech's attitude was completely favorable to me, they assured me that they'd 'make it right' to me and that everything missing will be sent to me. I have every confidence they will come good on their promises. I'll try to remember to post again when I receive the rest of the parts.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Let us know how the RaceTech valving works when you get it installed. Did you get different springs from the stock ones? I had the rear shock spring replaced and the Gold Valve kit installed last year. It's certainly stiffer, but I'm not sure if the valving is an improvement.

OP
OP
Art Franz
Bike
05 ST1300
Let us know how the RaceTech valving works when you get it installed. Did you get different springs from the stock ones? I had the rear shock spring replaced and the Gold Valve kit installed last year. It's certainly stiffer, but I'm not sure if the valving is an improvement.
On the Vendors Feedback posting place thingy I wrote a note of how well Racetech treated me. The missing parts are now enroute. Will install them in due tiome when they arrive.

When I discussed my riding style (moderately aggressive) and weight (170 lbs) with the Racetech rep (Matt Wiley) at Westoc last year, I was prepared to buy new springs as well, but he said the factory springs would be adequate. I also mentioned to him that the majority of my miles are long distance sport touring with the aggressiveness coming into play when in the twisties often fully loaded (the bike not me lol) with an additional 50 to 80 lbs of gear.

Major Tom, I hope to 'color in' the rest of the provinces by the end of June this year as I see you've already done. I'm thinkin that feels good on your 'resume?'

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Major Tom, I hope to 'color in' the rest of the provinces by the end of June this year as I see you've already done. I'm thinkin that feels good on your 'resume?'
From Alberta east was done in a six week trip back in the mid-'70s when I had more time and fewer responsibilities in my life. We also managed to dip into Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and upper New York states, but I haven't figured out how to add a US map to the signature line as well. :) I hope you have a great trip, it's a beautiful country that is even more enjoyable when viewed over a set of handlebars.

Top Bottom