Race Tech Gold Valves for front suspension

Gunner

Steve Gunn
I called Race Tech today to order the Fork Cap Gold Valve Kit for my '03 model and was surprised to learn that this kit was not available for the 2003, they are for 2004 and up. I wasn't aware there was any difference between those years. I ordered the Fork Gold Valve Kit and hopefully I will be able to get set up correctly with my Sonic 1.2 springs.
Here's my question, I have the front forks off, disassembled, and cleaned up ready for the new parts, including new seals and bushings. How do I determine the correct spacer length to get the right amount of sag with everything taken apart?

My initial plan is to go with the 130mm spacers and 7.5wt oil. I'm 215 lbs in street clothes and don't usually travel 2 up. The rear shock is going to RaceTech tomorrow for a rebuild with a gold valve and new spring.

Any suggestions, tips or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
With the Sonic 1.2 springs if you match the length of the stock spring and spacer with the sonic spring and spacer you will be in the ball park. Go to RaceTech's website and run through the menus to find the correct spring rate for your bike. When you get to this page, there is a link that that states " Recommended Preload". This will open a pop-up that shows you how to calculate the proper amount of preload for a given spring rate. There is link to a .pdf file in this pop-up that gives you a work sheet to figure this all out. I will tell you that Sonic and Racetech recommend 36mm of sag for the ST1300.

OP
OP
Gunner

Gunner

Steve Gunn
Based on what I have read in the various threads, I'm going to go with the 1200.

Steve

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
I run a 1200 also and it works for me. I also break the 210 lb mark. I ride 2 up at times where I set the pre-load up a bit to get the sag I want. To get the sag without a passenger I am around the 8 clicks mark. The handling and the bike stability has greatly improved. I think you will be very pleased.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Hey Steve,
I have an '03 ST 1300. I'm 225 lbs. I just ordered the Sonic springs and new seals, & bushings. I will be using Red Line Synthetic blended to yield 7 wt. with my new springs for a softer ride. I am considering the valve kit from Race Tech. Let me know how your spacer length of 130mm, fork oil and valve kit works on your bike.

I had them in my 03 and they worked great. Not sure what data was that you are looking for as I had a shop install. Paired with a Penske rear shock and spring it made the bike feel so much better, especially 2 up.

Top Bottom