RaceTech upgrade - need your input!

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
It may not be a consideration at this time of year, when having your bike off the road for a couple weeks isn't a problem, but I have a "loaner" used OEM shock that I've been shipping to Race Tech when someone needs a rebuild. When they get the rebuilt unit, they ship me their old shock to serve as the new loaner. PM me if you need it.

By the way: the Race Tech full rebuild and addition of the gold valve was less than a new OEM rear shock.

JZH

International Bodger
I'm a big fan of Race Tech Gold Valves on sport bikes, but the ST1300 fork cap GV kit always seemed like a lot of money to spend on what is, after all, a fast touring bike. Perhaps it still makes economic sense for some people, but I'd suggest waiting until they stopped having "tip overs"... ;)

Ciao,

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I felt like the gold valves actually changed the ST from a fast touring bike, into a fast sport touring bike. Now if I could just put the bike on a low Carb diet and lose about 100/150 lbs. then the transition would be complete.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bike
'04 ST1300
The fork cap kit has some interest. Yet recently I'm solo and there isn't much change in th bike weight. Adjustability may be nice just not sure how much it would be used.

If/when my wife begins riding everything changes.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
When I'm riding solo the compression and rebound are set at the middle setting which is where a non-adjustable unit would be set. I do change the settings when adding luggage or passenger.

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
The fork cap kit has some interest. Yet recently I'm solo and there isn't much change in th bike weight. Adjustability may be nice just not sure how much it would be used.

If/when my wife begins riding everything changes.
Main thing with a passenger is bringing the tension up in the rear shock. This to keep your rear rider sag correct. If you have upgraded your front suspension for your weight I doubt if you would really need to change the front for an occasional passenger. Unless that passenger is more common than solo riding.

I do not know how your wife is, I will usually ride very conservative when she is on the back anyway. :D

Bike
2009 ST1300
I have just completed the following upgrades: Race Tech springs, gold valves and fork caps up front. Race Tech shock rebuild at rear. Michelin Pilot 3's at both ends. All of the work was done myself and it was a substantial challenge (given my average mechanical skills and limited tool box). Much technical advice was gleened from this forum (and I am grateful). It is my great pleasure to better understand this machine as a result. As to the results.....? I am thrilled. The bike is substantially more nimble/easier to handle (it was not a slouch before upgrades). My first ride on an ST1300 last October impressed me. I finally understood the notion of a bike feeling like it "was riding on rails". Now after upgrades, that feeling is improved with less effort required to induce a turn and practically no effort to maintain one. I have not yet completed the dialing in final adjustments but it can only get better. I ride like the average 53 year old who has been riding off and on most of his life, never getting to carried away with speed, but loving to taste the adrenalin as I learn what the bike can (and I can easily handle in the twisties). I now have as good a machine as I have ever dreamed of and riding it is such a pleasure. My cost on the suspension upgrades was about $1100.00 (just parts no labor). It was a lot of work but manageable during out cold mountain winter. The folks at Race Tech were great. Good support and fast service. And a nice discount for members of this forum. If you got the bucks, go for it! We don't own these motorcycles because we are trying to save money.
Again, many thanks to the folks who shared their experiences to help make mine better.
I have a 2004 ST and I'm thinking of doing a Race Tech upgrade to the stock suspension. Bottom line, is the difference in the ride/handling etc worth the cost? Also, what would be the point of diminishing returns?

I'm thinking of replacing the stock springs both forks and rear shock and at least the gold valves on the forks. Maybe the caps as well.

I weight about 200lbs and this is my daily commuter in the Sacramento, CA area. I also take the bi-monthly trip to S. CA and also hit the Sierra passes when possible. I'm not sure where I'd rate myself as a rider, I have take the Lee Park's Advanced Class. If it makes a difference there isn't much of a chicken strip if any.

I've never ridden a bike with updated suspension or done and type of track days.

I'd be interested in your experience specifically with a Race Tech upgrade or any shock upgrade. Did you find it worth the cost? Would you do it again?

thanks,

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
IMHO, I'd upgrade an ST suspension as one of my priorities..... I'd recommend giving GP Suspension a call, and take a ride up the coast.......
http://www.gpsuspension.com/
I disagree. GP is now owned by KFG, who we did a lot of work with. Barry is a great high-pro tuner, but touring bikes are not his thing. If you want an excuse to ride up the coast, I would recommend contacting John Minnich at Moto-Pro, he's been making all kinds of bikes handle well, for a long time. The web site is geared toward dirt/off road, but he does everything. http://www.moto-pro.com/

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I would check out Hyper Pro as well not sure where in CA there is a dealer but the guy we have here on the East coast is a great guy to work with Hans!

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
b) I understand that the sonic springs raise the motorcycle a 1/2 inch.
The ride height is adjustable....the sag.....by trimming the PVC spacer to size.....simple......the spacer comes over long for that purpose.....I like it, big improvement, also changes the amount and type of fork oil.....ff

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Thanks,

I got the Race Tech spring to match the shock rebuild. I got the shock on and am now working on the front forks. I'm a little slow (pun intended) on mechanical things so it'll take me several days. The Race Tech Springs didn't come with spacers so I bought sink tail pieces from Ace Hardware.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
The Race Tech Springs didn't come with spacers so I bought sink tail pieces from Ace Hardware.
Same principle....if you don't get the right sag numbers for YOU just cut the spacers to customize..................have fun when ya get it all together......................ff

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Same principle....if you don't get the right sag numbers for YOU just cut the spacers to customize.
I did notice the sag decreased with the Race Tech rear shock rebuild and had to let out the preload adjuster a bit. I'll probably get the same with the front forks. I read one entry where a rider cut 27 mm from the length of his original spacers for Race Tech fork springs which was slightly less long than the length as the original spring and spacer. He weighs the same as I do (210) so I'll probably follow his lead, but with the tail pipes rather than the original spacers.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I have just completed the following upgrades: Race Tech springs, gold valves and fork caps up front. Race Tech shock rebuild at rear. Michelin Pilot 3's at both ends. All of the work was done myself and it was a substantial challenge (given my average mechanical skills and limited tool box). Much technical advice was gleened from this forum (and I am grateful). It is my great pleasure to better understand this machine as a result. As to the results.....? I am thrilled. The bike is substantially more nimble/easier to handle (it was not a slouch before upgrades). My first ride on an ST1300 last October impressed me. I finally understood the notion of a bike feeling like it "was riding on rails". Now after upgrades, that feeling is improved with less effort required to induce a turn and practically no effort to maintain one. I have not yet completed the dialing in final adjustments but it can only get better. I ride like the average 53 year old who has been riding off and on most of his life, never getting to carried away with speed, but loving to taste the adrenalin as I learn what the bike can (and I can easily handle in the twisties). I now have as good a machine as I have ever dreamed of and riding it is such a pleasure. My cost on the suspension upgrades was about $1100.00 (just parts no labor). It was a lot of work but manageable during out cold mountain winter. The folks at Race Tech were great. Good support and fast service. And a nice discount for members of this forum. If you got the bucks, go for it! We don't own these motorcycles because we are trying to save money.
Again, many thanks to the folks who shared their experiences to help make mine better.
I thought you had to send the rear shock to Racetech for the rebuild. Did you do the rear shock yourself?

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
You are correct. The rear shock does have to go to RaceTech for the rebuild. You can install the spring yourself though.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Thanks,

The Race Tech Springs didn't come with spacers so I bought sink tail pieces from Ace Hardware.
The Sonic springs come with CPCV. I'm not sure if the tail pieces would support the weight.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The Sonic springs come with CPCV. I'm not sure if the tail pieces would support the weight.
E

PVC tailpieces are plenty strong enough. I made up a set of such spacers 216 mm long 60 or 80,000 miles ago. Without looking at my records I can't remember exactly the miles but I do remember how hard it was to find 1.5" OD plastic pipe. I examine them every fork oil change.

Top Bottom