Radar Alert...How Do You Do It?

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
The final issue I have with my radar detector quest is to decide how I want the system to alert me. I'd like to know what's working for you?

I guess folks are reliant on either a visual or auditory alert and I'll assume that you find that some form of connection between your radar detector and helmet is necessary.

Thanks!!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Since I have my Passport 8500s 'buried' in the bodywork, I use the audio piped into my Valk CB setup through an EDSETS headset. I also have a MP3 player piped in and I use a simple y-connector. I just fiddled with the volume settings until I got it where it works for me. There are 'merge' boxes that mute one over the other but my simple way works for me.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
My radar detector is plugged into the AUX jack on my starcom1 intercom. The AUX jack has highest priority so if the radar detector goes off, the music is automatically muted and I won't miss it. I used a radar screamer for a while and that worked well too. Of course everyone within 100 yards also knows how well it's working - loud! No experience with the visual alert methods.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Agree with Phil and WJ... next question is "in ear" speakers or speakers attached to the helmet (and ear plugs, which most of us use...)

Don't like the external audio alerts or visual alerts personally. Don't want to be listening or looking for anything but the things that keep me safe, and there's enough of them already ;)

have found the in ear "s-plug" to be the best so far, be it music or alerts, gps, etc.

Bike
2010 ST1300
STOC #
I have mine mounted in the center of my dash right below my line of eye sight. I have heard and seen it every single time with no issues, even at over 80mph on the Interstate. Once I am on the Interstate my wind shield is almost always all the or near all the way to the top and with the volume all the way up, even with a full face closed and music in my ears it hasn't been a problem.

kieth

Autocom
Mine is connected through the Autocom, I do not have it routed through a prioritized input since I do not have to understand the radar sound I just have to know it went off, my music continues to play as the detector goes off, this way in small towns it does not mute my music. The Autocom system gives me the option of using my in helmet speakers or my custom made in ear speakers......Kieth

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I have mine wired into my Starcom when I am using the intercom although I don't plug it into the AUX port as the muting function is annoying given all the "false" signals that you get. I also use a Belkin Rockstar when I just want to use my earbuds.
. Works great for hooking up my V1, GPS, XM radio, MP3, etc.

I also use the Rockstar to hook up several things and then route that through the STarcom as well.
Rod

Top Bottom