Radar detectors? Do you use one?

A question or two?
Do you have to pay a monthly or annual fee for the gps update? Does it work well w waze? How does the bluetooth work with your earbuds? How do u protect it in the rain? Does it have a battery and work without being plugged in?
Im pretty close to pulling the trigger on this.
Many thank yous for your answers!
I'll try to answer your questions as best I can:
_ I do not pay a fee. But I do not know if that is because I'm a legacy customer and/or if there is now a any subscription for the data base.
_ vs Waze: I have never used them at the same time in the same vehicle to really compare. The congestion alerts feel about the same. I suspect that aspect of information has a common state government source shared by all the companies which then apply their own filters and user interface. My experience with Waze is limited.
_ Bluetooth: Mine is linked to the Sena speakers in my helmet. Clear audible at any speed. As an aside, on iPhones the pecking order of which device will talk-over another device is determined by the order in which they are connected. So my voice calls connect 1st and my Radar 2nd. If I am on a call (no preaching please) the radar will blink but not override the call. I can reverse the order by toggling my phone blue connection off/on thus making the detector the 1st.
Rain: If it is just a little rain and still dry-ish behind the windshield, I do nothing. If it is pouring rain, I slip it into my tank bag. On a naked bike you can drop a sandwich baggie over it. I should add that Cobra has other units for big rig trucks which mount in the grill. So they might be waterproof (to a depth of 3 ft).
_ Power Source: It does not have an internal battery. They come with / or have available a hard-wire power cord. Because I switch mine from one ride to another I use that plug, formally known as a cigarette lighter. I see no reason why you couldn't use an auxiliary battery thingy.
_ Lastly: When I went to buy my first one, I put in some time comparing the specifications between the major brands. Ignoring the marketing departments, as you'd expect there were slight differences in the tech specs but only fractionally and no one company scored highest across spectrum. The Cobra company has morphed into a fleet management operation by land and by sea. I just joined their mailing list. "As a member of Cobra Nation you are eligible to receive exclusive offers and latest news, updates and product releases and receive $20 off on your next purchase of $119+.*some exclusions apply"
Hope that helps

Last edited:

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I'll try to answer your questions as best I can:
_ I do not pay a fee. But I do not know if that is because I'm a legacy customer and/or if there is now a any subscription for the data base.
_ vs Waze: I have never used them at the same time in the same vehicle to really compare. The congestion alerts feel about the same. I suspect that aspect of information has a common state government source shared by all the companies which then apply their own filters and user interface. My experience with Waze is limited.
_ Bluetooth: Mine is linked to the Sena speakers in my helmet. Clear audible at any speed. As an aside, on iPhones the pecking order of which device will talk-over another device is determined by the order in which they are connected. So my voice calls connect 1st and my Radar 2nd. If I am on a call (no preaching please) the radar will blink but not override the call. I can reverse the order by toggling my phone blue connection off/on thus making the detector the 1st.
Rain: If it is just a little rain and still dry-ish behind the windshield, I do nothing. If it is pouring rain, I slip it into my tank bag. On a naked bike you can drop a sandwich baggie over it. I should add that Cobra has other units for big rig trucks which mount in the grill. So they might be waterproof (to a depth of 3 ft).
_ Power Source: It does not have an internal battery. They come with / or have available a hard-wire power cord. Because I switch mine from one ride to another I use that plug, formally known as a cigarette lighter. I see no reason why you couldn't use an auxiliary battery thingy.
_ Lastly: When I went to buy my first one, I put in some time comparing the specifications between the major brands. Ignoring the marketing departments, as you'd expect there were slight differences in the tech specs but only fractionally and no one company scored highest across spectrum. The Cobra company has morphed into a fleet management operation by land and by sea. I just joined their mailing list. "As a member of Cobra Nation you are eligible to receive exclusive offers and latest news, updates and product releases and receive $20 off on your next purchase of $119+.*some exclusions apply"
Hope that helps
Many thanks. I looked up cobras ratings and how many sold on amazon. Quite impressive. Ive toured some of the shittiest weather and would just stick it in my pans. Only a fool speeds in snow! Ill take a look at hardwireing it in. I have a tray on my 11 and the velcro idea sounds perfect.
I had a detector years ago and it saved me more than once. Many thanks!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Many thanks. I looked up cobras ratings and how many sold on amazon. Quite impressive. Ive toured some of the shittiest weather and would just stick it in my pans. Only a fool speeds in snow! Ill take a look at hardwireing it in. I have a tray on my 11 and the velcro idea sounds perfect.
I had a detector years ago and it saved me more than once. Many thanks!
Are you using a headset? I hardwire my RD to my headset because it's an immediate alert. It doesn't have the typical gap when sending a signal to the headset via a bluetooth connection. I tried several different things in the past and I didn't want a phone app and then connect the phone to the headset to get the alert because I prefer to use my Zumo for music/directions/phone connection.

The Sena 20/30/50 series will allow not only a connection for ear buds on the base but also an aux input which I use for the radar detector, I actually now just use the ear bud connection and a Y plug so the ear buds connect to one and the RD to the other.. yes, I have to deal with some wires but I prefer the setup.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Are you using a headset? I hardwire my RD to my headset because it's an immediate alert. It doesn't have the typical gap when sending a signal to the headset via a bluetooth connection. I tried several different things in the past and I didn't want a phone app and then connect the phone to the headset to get the alert because I prefer to use my Zumo for music/directions/phone connection.

The Sena 20/30/50 series will allow not only a connection for ear buds on the base but also an aux input which I use for the radar detector, I actually now just use the ear bud connection and a Y plug so the ear buds connect to one and the RD to the other.. yes, I have to deal with some wires but I prefer the setup.
I use boltune bluetooth earbuds. Yep, ive spent little time learning my gps but understand it can work w my spotify and phone. I have to git goin on that learnin thing! Many thanks!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I suspect that aspect of information has a common state government source shared by all the companies which then apply their own filters and user interface. My experience with Waze is limited.
I read that Google compiles their own data for traffic information by monitoring where Google phones are, where they are moving or not moving, and their speed.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would not be surprised. Did you really think you were private? The only way to not be tracked via Android or iOS is to turn it off. But then there is always the traffic cameras that are always watching sitting on top of the stop lights in the cities. So to be un-noticed ride country roads in rural areas that have no traffic.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The only way to not be tracked via Android or iOS is to turn it off.
Not necessarily. I heard a report done by an IT company about this. Much to their surprise, the phones continued to collect some types of data, including location, even when they were turned off. When they were turned on, they transmitted the information.

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
I use Waze app, people report police, pot holes, road kill, junk in road, cars on shoulder of road, traffic, all kinds of useful stuff

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not necessarily. I heard a report done by an IT company about this. Much to their surprise, the phones continued to collect some types of data, including location, even when they were turned off. When they were turned on, they transmitted the information.
True. They never really turn off. I guess I should have said it this way... the only way to not be tracked in real time is to turn it off. Old cell phones would not do this but newer "smart phone" do.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wouldn't surprise me if cell towers can track a cell phone even without the battery installed. Technology being as it is. Using the excuse of "for your safety".

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Maybe test mylar bags as mini Faraday "cages"? Me — I don't care. One day my hubris may come back to bite me when I'm taken out by an Avenger/Predator/Reaper because my phone was awake. But I won't regret it.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
No. I cruise 10 over on freeways 80-85 mph without being hassled, that's fast enough for me. On back roads I'll do 5-7 over the posted limit whatever it might be and they don't bother me. Passing through small towns always 5 under. In the current technology, the law has all the aces, I think it foolish to think you can run 15-20 over with a detector and not expect to get tickets. Not always, but mostly they will give you 10mph. How fast y'all gotta go? I know this from a state trooper neighbor, she gave me a tour of her cruiser. She has a 360 radar, that instantly locks on the fastest vehicle in a group, set to low power to emit hardly any microwaves making very hard to detect. She advised she has written many receipts to radar detector users. Her equipment is lethal.

More useful is the phone app the folks use to mark locations of units on the interstate, by the old-fashioned but reliable visual method. I don't have it but my nephew uses it, and on trip (car) to Mobile was quite effective.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Sometimes it is simply that you lose track of your speed. The first time I took my BMW on an all day ride, I spotted two Washington State Patrol cars parked on the side of the road. There was no traffic in front of me, so nothing to gauge how fast I was going except the feel of the bike and looking down at the speedometer. I felt like I was doing a hair over 60 possibly, so looked down at my speedometer. Imagine my shock when I saw I was doing 90 mph ...in a 55. I was fortunate that day.

I tend to ride at the back in a group ride. I know one ride leader who is extremely competent in any kind of traffic. But when the ride gets out in the country, he'll open it up a bit. He has a radar detector, which is great. My hope, is that if he does get picked up on radar, that I'll have enough warning to slow down and not get ticketed.

And frankly, I like gadgets. I'm a guy. Guys like gadgets.

Chris

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
How fast y'all gotta go?
It's not always about speeding.
Sometimes it's just about knowing that you are targeted or about the patrol car following you in traffic.
To be warned is GREAT, you are just more in control.
After 3 years of using the the cheapest radar detector on the market "Uniden DFR1" $23 (refurbished!), I would not anymore feel comfortable driving without it.
It's legal & safer and affordable, it's your choice and there is no shame in there.

Top Bottom