Radar detectors? Do you use one?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
No detector, but I always make sure I am behind someone else going a little faster, or keep it within 9 mph over on the open road and 4 mph over in town. Most of my fun riding is limited by the road rather than the posted speed limit.

BEL works okay for me. Lots of false "alarms" when in the city or near pharmacies. At least it's still legal. I had a Black widow (I think...?) Laser Jammer, front and back, that I swear worked. LED pulses or something like that, confuses the rebound speed to the gun. Highly illegal I found out after researching. It came with an 04 ST I imported from Portland. Funny thing was when I put a CL ad to sell in Vancouver BC, the buyer came up from Portland to buy and repatriate the bike. Go figure...

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
My Uniden DFR9 paid for itself on this trip. I was out in the middle of nowhere, or so I thought. The road was lined with trees and fairly straight. No traffic.

...and then I start getting an alert for KA band radar. Yup, an LEO found a perfect place to pull off drivers to talk to.

...but not me. :D

Chris

Bike
ST1100
Could you please explain how radar detectors help you? Do you have a lot of radars that take picture of the plate from behind, and you have enough time to slow down, right? Didnt know that detectors can sence cameras...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Not a lot of radar cameras here in the U.S. Most of those are in cities and related to running lights.

The common situations here is entering or leaving small towns, I typically slow down to posted limits when I get to those towns.

Then there's when you are touring on highways or less traveled roads and the RD just beeps and reminds you to double-check your speed. The ST and most Sport Touring bikes have such a comfortable ride you don't realize how fast you're going... so these are good to remind you to check your speed and hopefully not add a ticket to an otherwise nice day of riding.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Haven't used one in many many years and have survived without it. Sherri doesn't understand how I get away with my driving/riding style without receiving tickets. :nuts:

I use my eyes looking for those sudden brake lights for no reason, I hook up behind a "rabbit" when I can, I ride in the right lane unless I need to pass and immediately move back over.

The last time I was popped was in 2011(?) on my C14 by a CSP on his C14... we chatted, he liked my red, I liked his silver... we chatted some more about him riding without a jacket and short sleeve shirt and full sleeve's (tattoo's). I was doing 90(?) in a 75 on the way home... 4 points and $105.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
No, CHP seem to mostly only care about really excessive speed or dangerous driving. Just keep things moving..

And the Garmin XT has a nice feature that warns you about speeding on any particular road that I have started to really like. No need to look for the signs anymore and wonder until I see one.

Bike
ST1100
reminds you to double-check your speed.
Can you be stopped by a police officer with a radar in hands? As we don't have plate on the front of the bike I thought that this evidence is not enough to prove speeding..

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
yes, hand radar or car mounted looking forward and backward. They have all the cool stuff... The nice part is most of the times I've been stopped they really don't hassle you as they know you are just a citizen out for a nice ride on a nice day... not someone with a record or warrant looking for trouble.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Can you be stopped by a police officer with a radar in hands? As we don't have plate on the front of the bike I thought that this evidence is not enough to prove speeding..
No plates on the front of bikes here in the US either. His word against yours here... and you can guess whose word is going to stand in court. You can of course ask questions like; when was the RD last calibrated? When was the last time the LEO was trained on that RD? There's a list of questions you can ask... also hope the LEO just doesn't show up which will cause a dismissal too.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Break 1 9.

Haven't used one since then. Just slow down going through the small towns. I grew up in one. You ARE the revenue.

Detectors don't do much when the LEO has a stop watch either. Been busted by one of those, and they are still in use.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Never have and likely never will.
I choose to not be a criminal so don't have to worry about "being caught" speeding. I wasn't always like that but getting older has made me a lot more... reasonable about it.
I may get pulled over for other reasons but not for that.

criminal = one who consistently and, more importantly, intentionally breaks the law.

Cobra makes a bluetooth radar. Has excellent ratings. $150. Cobra rad 480i
That is the one I use. Third season with it. I replaced my previous unit to gain the anti "blind spot" filtering and the current Laser signals.
It also has route planning and turn-by-turn to my Sena. The navigation has all the standard features we expect, like nearest gas stations, plus red light and speed camera locations. It also will announce "Known High Enforcement Area" and "Active Enforcement Area". (100 million real-time alerts each year)
I have it mounted with velcro and move it from bike to bike and to the cars. I understand the just don't speed philosophy. But I use a navigation system anyways so why not have one with a happy ending;).

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
That is the one I use. Third season with it. I replaced my previous unit to gain the anti "blind spot" filtering and the current Laser signals.
It also has route planning and turn-by-turn to my Sena. The navigation has all the standard features we expect, like nearest gas stations, plus red light and speed camera locations. It also will announce "Known High Enforcement Area" and "Active Enforcement Area". (100 million real-time alerts each year)
I have it mounted with velcro and move it from bike to bike and to the cars. I understand the just don't speed philosophy. But I use a navigation system anyways so why not have one with a happy ending;).
A question or two?
Do you have to pay a monthly or annual fee for the gps update? Does it work well w waze? How does the bluetooth work with your earbuds? How do u protect it in the rain? Does it have a battery and work without being plugged in?
Im pretty close to pulling the trigger on this.
Many thank yous for your answers!

Top Bottom