Radar detectors in Canada.

STOC #
Just make sure you hide it in provinces where it is prohibited, or you might find it seized for destruction, with an expensive ticket, no joke.

OP
OP
Actionfigurejoe
disco1999 said:
Just make sure you hide it in provinces where it is prohibited, or you might find it seized for destruction, with an expensive ticket, no joke.
Thanks guys. I've heard about the smash and burn of radar detectors in some providences. Don't want that happening to my V1.:eek: I did find a site about RD use in Canada. It appears the Yukon forbids them. Strange that such a remote area would be concerned about a RD.:confused:

STOC #
Knowing well how radars and laser speed enforcement devices operate, personnally I wouldn't bother spending money on a radar detector. When operated & aimed properly, a laser like the Ultralyte from Lasertech.com can confirm speed of a moving vehicle in less than 0.4 secs after the trigger was pressed, obviously when the trigger is not pressed, no laser is fired. So time of reaction to brake any vehicle when the radar detector alarm goes on usually doesn't match against the laser device.
Radar detectors are more efficient against radars but not laser.

OP
OP
Actionfigurejoe
Radar and laser detectors are only a tool. As with any tool it takes a brain to operate it. I've detected laser with my V1 several car lengths ahead of my position while the LEO is targeting other vehicles. Several companies also make laser jammers which make laser detection useless. While detectors don't give a license to speed, I've found them to be very, very useful.

Bike
1999 ST1100
I live in Ontario, where detectors are illegal.
The joke is that the company that manufactures the detectors, and the equipment that can detect the detectors (OH yes....), and the cop radar sytems is in Ontario!
I can take a radar detector in for service but can't actually use it!!
BTW...here in Ontario, if you get stopped and suspected of using a detection device, if you stuff it in a pocket OUT OF SIGHT.The cop can ask for it but can't legally search your person.
They can take the cables and such as well as charge you but it won't stand up in court.
I speak from direct experience...;)
I just gave up the detector thing years ago.
Seemed more trouble than it's worth and around here it's the laser systems and they are VERY hard to beat.

STOC #
KeithB said:
and the equipment that can detect the detectors (OH yes....),
BTW the low tech way LEO's detect a detector is flash you with instant on radar as you pass and your break lights come on. Human nature is hard to beat.

( found that nugget the hard way ...... :policeST: LEO - guess your detector did not work, huh? ME - Ummmm Nope. :( )

I don't know what the laws are in Canada but if an officer sees you put something in your pocket off the bike it certainly gives him probable cause to pull his gun and pat you down for a potential weapon... I would if I were them...

Bike
1999 ST1100
"probable cause to pull his gun and pat you down for a potential weapon"
That's not how it works in Canada.

Top Bottom