radar, laser, etc???

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I have a V1. Like it, though it was a little pricey and I get what seem to be a lot of false alarms. From what I've been able to determine from reading previous posts here and elsewhere, laser detectors are nifty but by the time you realize it's gone off, you're probably already toast. Not saying they're not worth having, just that the odds are against you if you're relying on them.

On the other hand, radar detectors are extremely helpful, but besides abstinence (from speeding) eternal vigilance (to borrow from Thomas Jefferson) is your best defense. IMO.

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
You're best bet for not getting a citation is to slow down, no more than 10+ over the limit, and if you do get stopped, be courteous and respectful.
My problem is that the speed limits change so frequently around here that I lose track of what the speed limit is. Going just 5 MPH over at 55, puts you at 15 over when it changes to 45...instant ticket. This is why I want a radar detector.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have a V1. Like it, though it was a little pricey and I get what seem to be a lot of false alarms. From what I've been able to determine from reading previous posts here and elsewhere, laser detectors are nifty but by the time you realize it's gone off, you're probably already toast. Not saying they're not worth having, just that the odds are against you if you're relying on them.

On the other hand, radar detectors are extremely helpful, but besides abstinence (from speeding) eternal vigilance (to borrow from Thomas Jefferson) is your best defense. IMO.
I hardly ever get a laser warning signal that the last time I did, I was wondering whose phone was ringing.:eek::

Dennis

Gunz

Houligan
Bike
'08 1300
STOC #
laser detectors are nifty but by the time you realize it's gone off, you're probably already toast
It seems that officers have a hard time getting a lock when targeting the ST. They almost always hit me two or three times, leading me to infere that the greater the distance, the harder time they have getting a solid lock. For me, as soon as the laser warning goes off, I'm on the binders- second time it goes off, I'm already back to the speed limit. Use a laser detector-employ every advantage you can.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Well I guess I'm in the minority here, but I'll throw out a different opinion. I don't see radar detectors as being worth the money. This is coming from someone who has lost his license more than once when I was younger for having too many speeding tickets; and I have also used many radar detectors. I now don't use one.

I have used many different detectors, including a few expensive ones- including a Passport. The problems are that your best chance of getting an advance warning is when there is a lot of traffic around, and you get notice of another vehicle getting hit with radar. Well when there is a lot of traffic around isn't when I need a radar detector. Its when I'm on a nice open road. And at that time, I only get notice when its targeting me. That gives me 2 seconds tops to get my speed down.

Now comes the second downside, which directly affects what I said above. Every detector I ever used, including the Passport, was constantly giving false alarms. I couldn't drive for 2 miles anywhere without getting false warnings. When a warning device is constantly giving false warnings, you start ignoring those warnings. So apply this to the 2 second advance warning I mentioned above, and you see that the chances of a radar detector actually helping you is very small. If I hit my brakes every time my detectors used to go off, I'd be putting brakes on once a week. I found myself not trusting the detectors, so when I would get nailed, I would think "Wow, it was right that time".

As others have said, laser warning is useless, so no point having it unless you want to know that you are about to get a driving award.

I would really like to try an actual jammer. That is the only thing I can see that would be of any real benefit.

Keep in mind that I do ride fairly fast at times, at least according to our very low NH speed limits. Our fines are also pretty hefty. If there was a good chance that a radar detector would help me, I'd have one mounted. Just one of our tickets could pay for a good detector. Maybe when I have a wad of cash I don't know what to do with, I might blow it on another detector to try it out until it annoys me too much. But for now, there is a long list of higher priorities than a noise machine that goes off on a rural road with nothing else around.

Jim

Top Bottom