Radiator grill all bunged up

Bike
ST1300
I've not seen any type of grill or guard for our radiators, but we aren't exactly riding adventure bikes through boulder-strewn riverbed or busting through single-track with limbs and branches trying to eat our heat exchanging devices.
radguard.com.au I have a guard on my ST1300 radiator. Good quality, made well. Have had radiator guards on previous bikes over the years.

They make guards for numerous bikes. Had a guard on my VFR1200 also.

Check out there website. radguard.com.au $195 Australian Dollars

Phantom :bk13:

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Some quick comments

I have a radiator on my garage shelf that looks much worse than that. No pressure washer. mud and muck off the roads clogs the fins and salt in winter rots them away. You cannot get rid of it - the muck soaks it up and holds it in place.

I bought a new Honda one. However, I kept the old one because there are companies in the uk that will fit a new central cooling panel to an existing 'frame'. I decided that was the way Id go next time.

I discovered that half way through the production run of the A9 version, the radiator number changed, and the newer version was £100 cheaper. Mine had the newer version fitted.

I searched to find the difference. Compared all fitting parts between 2006 and 2009 models. hoses, fans, frame, etc. Everything that the radiator came in contact with. Every single part number attached to the radiator was the same code for 2009 and 2006 models. The 2002 model had the same radiator as the 2006.

Except one part that had a different product code number. The radiator cap.

Do your own checking, but I reckon that the cheaper radiator for the later than 2009 models will fit yours. They come with the correct cap. Some euoropean fiches show the later radiator for the 2009.

But I dont know this for certain. So do your own checking if buying a Honda version. I reckon it is only the cap and the filler neck that are different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
soforene
Bike
ST1300
...or a new OEM radiator, for that matter.
Sounds fine and dandy.
Till you consider that an OEM Radiator would cost half the value of the bike and I've recently spent more than that on a new clutch, Fork seals, brake bits, pierced water pump cover and slave cylinder seals.
We can let our hearts rule our head but eventually the wallet has a say in it. :eek:

OP
OP
soforene
Bike
ST1300
OK Guys, just to wrap this thread up I bit the bullet and purchased a new Radiator to fit myself.
Rads1.jpg Rads1.jpg
The fitting wasn't without a few issues though.
The overflow bottle was pretty manky so I carefully removed it to clean it up. Not carefully enough as I dislodged the top pipe which came off in my hand. Sacré Bléu !!
Bottle1.jpg
No probs I thought. I'll lift the tank to see where it attaches then re-attach it.
Sadly it appears to disappears into the bowels of the engine.
Off with the Air box to see where it fitted. I couldn't see any place obvious. :confused1:
Bottle2.jpg
So a quick trip to this forum took place to solve the mystery. Knowledgeable ST users will be way ahead of me here.
Turns out the top pipe of the overflow/Reservoir bottle is just a breather pipe that discharges to the ground. DOH !!
Back on with the airbox and tank. Fill my new Rad and reservoir bottle and a quick engine run.
All seems OK so a shakedown run in the next few days should complete my latest adventure.

Thanks again for the info that's available on this forum. ;)
If I had done a bit of research before lifting the Tank/Airbox I could have saved myself an hour of "spannering" but hey ho.
Live and learn ....

Attachments

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
OK Guys, just to wrap this thread up I bit the bullet and purchased a new Radiator to fit myself.
Rads1.jpg Rads1.jpg
The fitting wasn't without a few issues though.
The overflow bottle was pretty manky so I carefully removed it to clean it up. Not carefully enough as I dislodged the top pipe which came off in my hand. Sacré Bléu !!
Bottle1.jpg
No probs I thought. I'll lift the tank to see where it attaches then re-attach it.
Sadly it appears to disappears into the bowels of the engine.
Off with the Air box to see where it fitted. I couldn't see any place obvious. :confused1:
Bottle2.jpg
So a quick trip to this forum took place to solve the mystery. Knowledgeable ST users will be way ahead of me here.
Turns out the top pipe of the overflow/Reservoir bottle is just a breather pipe that discharges to the ground. DOH !!
Back on with the airbox and tank. Fill my new Rad and reservoir bottle and a quick engine run.
All seems OK so a shakedown run in the next few days should complete my latest adventure.

Thanks again for the info that's available on this forum. ;)
If I had done a bit of research before lifting the Tank/Airbox I could have saved myself an hour of "spannering" but hey ho.
Live and learn ....
Nicely done!

Top Bottom