Radiator Removal

randy the x man

R.I.P. - 2013/06/23
Rest In Peace
I am trying to remove my radiator to get at the leaky hose clamps. Removed all the fairings and the 3 radiator mounting bolts. I am assuming the upper right mount is just a dowel the the right mount is inserted on and to remove the radiator you must drop the left side enough to slide off the mount? Is that correct?

2nd issue is the hoses mounted to the radiator. They are firmly stuck on. Any tricks to removing them without damaging them or cutting my hands to threads. I was trying just to drop the radiator slightly with the hopes I might have access to the clamps but so far cannot get off the right side rad mount with the hoses still on.

Thanks
Randy

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
That sounds right. It was a couple years ago that I pulled mine but there were 3 mounting bolts. Where the 4th would have been is a dowel that is fixed to the bike. The radiator just kind of swung down out of the way and off that dowel.

As for the hoses can you get a small screw driver or awl under the hose? That might help work them loose. Mine came off pretty easy with some twisting if I recall. Though mine had been replaced by the previous owner so they were not original.

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
Sometimes a twist with a set of Channel-Locks works to break the hose loose, but a small phillips or flat screwdriver slid aropund the hose is needed. There is also a special tool called a "goose-neck" by many mechanics that is even better at it. It looks like this:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
These hoses are often hard and brittle, I wouldn't suggest poking anything sharp (such as a screwdriver) inside the hose.
A trick that I use is a needle oiler with PB Blaster or Marval Mystery oil in it. I simply place a drop or two on the edges of the hose(s)
and by the time I finish unscrewing the clamp, the hose simply slides off with a simple twist and pull from my hand.
I've never damaged a hose doing it this way.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
7 Year old bike w/100k on it... I would also consider replacing those hoses. I plan on doing that when I hit 100k miles - unless Honda comes out with something new - maybe.. LOL

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
As a side note; leave the rad cap on and have a pan below the lower hose... SLOWLY remove it just till the fluid pees out and wait. If you pull to fast, the antifreeze will be all over the place!

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
These hoses are often hard and brittle, I wouldn't suggest poking anything sharp (such as a screwdriver) inside the hose.
A trick that I use is a needle oiler with PB Blaster or Marval Mystery oil in it. I simply place a drop or two on the edges of the hose(s)
and by the time I finish unscrewing the clamp, the hose simply slides off with a simple twist and pull from my hand.
I've never damaged a hose doing it this way.
True, but if they were that old and brittle I would just replace them as Mellow mentioned.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I would just replace them as Mellow mentioned.
,,and do yourself a favor and get some plumbers grease at a building center or you will really fight to get the new one on far enough and oriented well. The stuff works very well for hoses.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
,,and do yourself a favor and get some plumbers grease at a building center or you will really fight to get the new one on far enough and oriented well. The stuff works very well for hoses.
I actually went the other direction. I used Aviation Form-A-Gasket on all my coolant lines. No pesky antifreeze leaks anymore.

Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
I actually went the other direction. I used Aviation Form-A-Gasket on all my coolant lines. No pesky antifreeze leaks anymore.
sennister, I'm going through a leak on my bike again. Last year I replaced the o-ring for the t-stat cover. Leak started again this Fall. After pulling the radiator and doing a pressure test, I saw the leak coming from a hose into the t-stat. This is probably where it was all the time. I tightened the clamp a bit and the leak stopped. I see you've used Aviation Form-A-Gasket. How did you use this? I'm considering this.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
sennister, I'm going through a leak on my bike again. Last year I replaced the o-ring for the t-stat cover. Leak started again this Fall. After pulling the radiator and doing a pressure test, I saw the leak coming from a hose into the t-stat. This is probably where it was all the time. I tightened the clamp a bit and the leak stopped. I see you've used Aviation Form-A-Gasket. How did you use this? I'm considering this.
It comes in a jar with a brush in the cap. Just paint it on and put it together if I recall. Maybe you paint it on both sides them let dry. It says on the container. I picked it up at the local auto parts store.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
It comes in a jar with a brush in the cap. Just paint it on and put it together if I recall. Maybe you paint it on both sides them let dry. It says on the container. I picked it up at the local auto parts store.

thanks for the quick response.........I'll give this a try per your recommendation...

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
thanks for the quick response.........I'll give this a try per your recommendation...
No problem.

Another tip with this. I don't remember where I didn't use it but don't use it at a couple places. With this in place you will be looking at most likely cutting off the hoses. So leave a point for doing coolant flushes. I don't think I put it on the lower hose coming off the radiator. Maybe one other point in case I wanted to pull the radiator for maintain.

Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
thanks for the tip..........appreciated........must be some pretty strong stuff...

Top Bottom