RAM brake reservoir mounts?

1628096190362.png

From Amazon. Anyone have a review - do they hold up? I plan to get two - one for cup holder and one for GPS/Phone. Eventually I might go the dash route if I add more devices.

Also - anyone know of a "bar" that I can use to go between them to mount other devices in the future instead of a dash shelf?

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I can't say I'm a fan of attaching something like this to a safety critical component like a brake or clutch reservoir, but I've yet to hear anyone report anything negative from anyone that's using them. I prefer the lever perch approach myself.

But to your other question, RAM makes an arm which might suit your needs. RAM® 18" PVC Pipe with Single Socket Arms

They can be had in different lengths from 14" to 24". They come in pieces - you have to glue the octagon button onto each end of the pipe so you have some opportunity to cut it to the length you need. It's been a while since I assembled mine, but I have a vague recollection that there's an X-rib which runs the length of the interior of the pipe making it quite rigid. Photos on the RAM website don't show that, so I could be dreaming.

Pipe diameter is not listed on the website, but I measured mine at 27.5mm or 1 3/32".

1628098111019.png

Here's a picture of my 18" version laid over my clutch and brake reservoirs. I use this as a mast on which to place my GoPro camera to get some 'approaching, but not quite' over-the-shoulder views of my rides by mounting to a RAM ball at the rear of my ST1100. Still looking for a solid mounting method for the rear of my 1300.

1628099420848.png

Reactions: Obo
OP
OP
I can't say I'm a fan of attaching something like this to a safety critical component like a brake or clutch reservoir, but I've yet to hear anyone report anything negative from anyone that's using them. I prefer the lever perch approach myself.

But to your other question, RAM makes an arm which might suit your needs. RAM® 18" PVC Pipe with Single Socket Arms

They can be had in different lengths from 14" to 24". They come in pieces - you have to glue the octagon button onto each end of the pipe so you have some opportunity to cut it to the length you need. It's been a while since I assembled mine, but I have a vague recollection that there's an X-rib which runs the length of the interior of the pipe making it quite rigid. Photos on the RAM website don't show that, so I could be dreaming.

Pipe diameter is not listed on the website, but I measured mine at 27.5mm or 1 3/32".

1628098111019.png

Here's a picture of my 18" version laid over my clutch and brake reservoirs. I use this as a mast on which to place my GoPro camera to get some 'approaching, but not quite' over-the-shoulder views of my rides by mounting to a RAM ball at the rear of my ST1100. Still looking for a solid mounting method for the rear of my 1300.
Cool. How do the ram device clips (not the ones on the ends - the ones that hold farkles) mount to the bar? Do they just clamp on to the bar or does the bar have drilled holes for the ball(s)? if they clamp to the bar I are they pretty secure?

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Cool. How do the ram device clips (not the ones on the ends - the ones that hold farkles) mount to the bar? Do they just clamp on to the bar or does the bar have drilled holes for the ball(s)? if they clamp to the bar I are they pretty secure?
Well, I'd leave that up to you to figure out! I don't use it in that fashion.

RAM makes a number of mounts which clamp to a round tube - as handlebars are pretty popular. And since the pipe in this arm is made of PVC I would be cautious about overtightening something to the point which it deforms the plastic. It's certainly your prerogative to drill holes in the pipe, but it's not something I would do personally. You do you.

But! here's a new product that RAM just announced which might be the perfect method of adding a ball to a bar such as this (assuming you even wish to stay with RAM products).

The RAM Tough Strap

1628103982922.png

The Tough Strap with the integrated X-Grip is particularly interesting because it doesn't use a ball and arm at all, which gives it a low-profile and keeps your device closer to the bar to which it's attached.

1628104216712.png 1628104225599.png

Then there's this:

1628104048363.png

By the way, the "PVC Pipe Socket with Composite Octagon Button" and matching "Single Socket Arm with Octagon Button Socket" work in a manner where tightening the socket arm locks it into one of eight positions (octagon, get it?) so it doesn't rotate. Farkels you attach to the arm cannot cause the PVC pipe to rotate, though the mount you wrap around the PVC pipe (like those I show above) are subject to how tight you can make it and the friction between it and the pipe.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
1628096190362.png

From Amazon. Anyone have a review - do they hold up? I plan to get two - one for cup holder and one for GPS/Phone. Eventually I might go the dash route if I add more devices.

Also - anyone know of a "bar" that I can use to go between them to mount other devices in the future instead of a dash shelf?
I used one for years, it works well, no issues, other than you do need to check the screws periodically as they do loosen up over time. Mine was used for a GPS on a 6" arm, so a fair amount of leverage on the mount. I mounted my Warm & Safe remote Troller on this as well with a couple of zip ties.

I also used below as well. Probably a stronger mount than the one on top of the reservoir, so I moved the GPS to it.

1628108065278.png

Comes like this as well.

1628108210049.png

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The trick is, the ST does not have traditional "round" handlebars.
I've seen the same products @STRider shows, above, but have never used the "bar" or the newer devices.
So, back to your original post, I have the RAM brake reservoir mount (although mine is on the Clutch side - they're reversible) since Week 1 of ownership, and it has been trouble-free. I put the X-clamp on there to hold my phone / MP3 player, and for a short time mounted an older, heavy GPS.
Should be a non-issue, if used with very light items as I mentioned.
As always, check clearance with things like the windscreen, a tankbag, or other farkles you may have added. Depending on what you put on the mount, and its position, you may lose sight of your tach, turn signal, or other flashy - blinky things.

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
I've used one on my ST1300 clutch reservoir for a GPS for years. I like that I don't have to drop my eyes down as far as I'd need to if mounted top center between the handlebars. I just glance left. The locking mount between the RAM mount's ball and the GPS holder is about 4 inches long.
I must carefully position the GPS so as not to hit the edge of the windshield at full-left lock, while at the same time not blocking my view to the left mirror when pointed straight ahead.

slmjim

Top Bottom