Ram mount

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Can someone direct me to a reasonably priced ram mount. I have mcl bar riser with predrilled hole for ram. What i am seeing on e bay is $60 + 30 for shipping. Must be a better alternative. Want to attach samsung phone or gps.

Attachments

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Try finding the part number you want on any site that sells RAM mounts. Then do a search on the part number.

Chris

Don't go crazy, wait and look for the right price.
I found mine on Amazon for the forty-something shipping included.
For me, Amazon and eBay will be the best options.
P.B.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
There's a bazillion different RAM part options (actual number), so you'll need to be more specific with the exact parts you want and then search for them by part number to find the best price.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
What you need is three parts– typically:

a 1" RAM ball for the MCL bit
an arm that couples the ball to a mount (with a ball installed)
a mount/cradle that you deem suitable

Check out RAM Mounts to see what's available. You may like their kit or maybe you'll like some third party cradle like the tackform.

amazon.ca may have some products, once you know what you want, and that might save shipping costs somewhat.

Measure that screw for the correct thread size. MCL may have used a different size (1/4-20) in their older mounts (if that's older).

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Now to figure out what size the bar riser hole is.
You could remove that screw and measure the diameter with some calipers. It will either be .25ish or .373ish corresponding with 1/4" or 3/8" with 3/8" being what the later bit uses. Or compare the screw to a 1/4 and/or 3/8 drill bit.

Or put the screw on the end of a suitable bit in an electric drill and see if you can put it in the tripod socket of a camera. If so then the screw is 1/4-20. If the screw goes in only part way and torques the camera out of your hand cracking some knuckles and then flying out of your hand and crashing onto the deck then it's probably 3/8-16.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have not gone out to look at mine but is it not designed so that the standard ram mount ball threads into the hole. If that is the case you will need three things.

RAM-B-201U-A RAM Double Socket Arm $14.95 (
RAM-B-347U RAM Ball Adapter with AMPS Plate $8.49 (this is assuming you have a Garmin Zumo 660 or similar GPS for a phone, consult the RAMMOUNT website)
RAP-B-379U-M81208 RAM Tough Ball with M8-1.25 X 8mm Thread (This is the part I am not sure about. You would think it would be metric standard since all the other bolts are but.... I can go out tomorrow and verify if you like).

Total cost from RAM is about $30.

As I said if you can wait I will go out tomorrow and verify the thread size. It might be non-metric but..... it would seem irrational since all the other fittings are metric.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Can someone direct me to a reasonably priced ram mount. I have mcl bar riser with predrilled hole for ram. What i am seeing on e bay is $60 + 30 for shipping. Must be a better alternative. Want to attach samsung phone or gps.
Just wanted to know if you resolved the issue before I take the mount off my bike.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Hey Rob... this should be the right size ball and base for the MCL riser. I've got the same one but it's been over a decade since I mounted it.
https://fortnine.ca/en/ram-mounts-ball-base-base-ram-b-349-1u
I would go with at least a medium length arm and then you have to figure out what attaches or cradles what you are putting on.
Jim

Top Bottom