RAM Tab-Lock for Nexus 7 Tablet

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I've been toying with the idea of using my otherwise little-used Google Nexus 7 Android tablet as my primary GPS and "music server". After a little bit of consideration, I decided to try a RAM Tab-Lock locking cradle (RAM-HOL-TABL18U) made for 7" tablets. I got it for just north of $50 online from GPS City. As ordered using that part number, I got the complete cradle, including a hefty RAM ball mount on the back. I also order up a RAM-B-103U 4" (I think) double-ended ball mount clamp (or whatever you call it).

My impressions: This thing is a substantial beast. It's heavier than I expected. After some fiddling around with assembly and adjustments, it holds the tablet really securely. It has a keyed locking mechanism that prevents the tablet from being released from the cradle. Although nothing's stopping someone from simply unscrewing the ball mount adapter and absconding with the whole works. I don't plan on leaving it on the bike unattended. When it's left unlocked, the tablet is released by twisting the knurled knob on the bottom which lets the docking cups to slide apart.

I mounted it on the RAM ball I have right in the center of the steering head. The 4" adapter is JUST long enough to allow the tablet to clear my handlebars. And it's short enough to allow access to the gas cap. And it's low enough to not block my view of the instrument panel. I *think* I'll still be able to mount a small-ish magnetic tank bag. We'll see.

Bottom line: I like it!

Pics attached (sorry for the poor lighting...I was in a bit of a hurry.

Attachments

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Thanks for the pics. I'd envisioned something in a tablet to replace my GPS when the time comes, and that gives me some idea about what size would work.

Although nothing's stopping someone from simply unscrewing the ball mount adapter and absconding with the whole works.
There's a solution for that, too. Install the ball mount plate on the back of the cradle with tamper-proof screws, use a short arm with a locking knob to connect it to the other side and make sure it's all situated so there isn't room to twist the whole mess enough to unscrew the ball.

Getting the thing 100% secure isn't really practical; you just need to make it difficult enough that anyone who'd be inclined to steal it will look for an easier target.

--Mark

OP
OP
ScottKY
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I think I'm really going to like the Nexus 7 as a GPS. I'm using the Co-Pilot app, and it seems to be pretty good. I haven't given it a real world test yet, but it's been doing pretty well to and from work and such. I think you have to pay yearly for voice guidance, but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks for the information on the locking knob. I had no idea such a thing existed. I may have to pick one of those up at some point. In the mean time, I'll just continue to use the "take it off and put it away" method of theft deterrence.

Lost Dutchman

Joe M.
STOC #
Another idea is to just replace the knob with a nylock nut. You will have to tighten it down with a wrench so having the room to do so might be a problem.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Is your Nex 7 first or second gen.? I want to use my Nex in my car and the ST. Mine is 2nd gen and want to make sure the part no. you ordered is going to work for me.
Thanks, Stew

OP
OP
ScottKY
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Is your Nex 7 first or second gen.? I want to use my Nex in my car and the ST. Mine is 2nd gen and want to make sure the part no. you ordered is going to work for me.
Thanks, Stew
Mine's a 2nd gen also. It fits nicely in the cradle. FYI, I don't have any sort of sleeve or case on mine, but I believe this cradle would work if the tablet had a very slim sleeve on it. I think there's another version of the cradle that will accommodate a tablet with a heavy-duty case on it.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks, I ordered one and also downloaded "Co-Pilot", this looks like a good GPS for tablets. After playing with co-pilot I upgraded to the advanced version. I'll give it a workout next week when I travel to Chattanooga(cage it). Then I'll put it on the ST this spring, if there is ever a spring ??:confused:

Top Bottom