Rattle Can Antics

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I had picked up a black OEM to have repainted professionally for my 04 a while back, it sat at the shop for over a year and never was addressed. I reclaimed it with little damage and used as is on my Ps. Inspired by the color match magicians here I decided to give it a whirl. Having little success in the past with spraying, my expectations were low, so low in fact, I have the vinyl wrap to go over it. Putting it off for months, I finally made a little booth in the basement and gave it a shot...

It came with a rack that had to be deleted so the spoiler could go on. I used ABS cut to the size and two part epoxy.
IMG_5329.jpegIMG_5332.jpeg
IMG_6672.jpegIMG_6674.jpegIMG_6677.jpeg

The other two walls and ceiling are 3mil plastic.
IMG_6678.jpegIMG_6703.jpeg

Had my expectations been a bit higher I would have used gloss instead of satin, it came out way better than I hoped. I sanded between coats and 1500 wet between clear coats. 4 color shots and 3 clear. Its passable.
IMG_6707.jpeg

Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
I had picked up a black OEM to have repainted professionally for my 04 a while back, it sat at the shop for over a year and never was addressed. I reclaimed it with little damage and used as is on my Ps. Inspired by the color match magicians here I decided to give it a whirl. Having little success in the past with spraying, my expectations were low, so low in fact, I have the vinyl wrap to go over it. Putting it off for months, I finally made a little booth in the basement and gave it a shot...

It came with a rack that had to be deleted so the spoiler could go on. I used ABS cut to the size and two part epoxy.
IMG_5329.jpegIMG_5332.jpeg
IMG_6672.jpegIMG_6674.jpegIMG_6677.jpeg

The other two walls and ceiling are 3mil plastic.
IMG_6678.jpegIMG_6703.jpeg

Had my expectations been a bit higher I would have used gloss instead of satin, it came out way better than I hoped. I sanded between coats and 1500 wet between clear coats. 4 color shots and 3 clear. Its passable.
IMG_6707.jpeg
Looks great!

Bike
2006 ST1300
It IS shocking how good a rattle can finish can be, with proper prep and good care taken.
Love the makeshift spray booth!! I've done something similar when doing small jobs like that!

Well done!

Top Bottom