Rear Brake Caliper mounting bracket question

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I just took the rear end apart and did the splines and installed new brake pads.
However, I'm thinking I did something stupid and need guidance:(
I used the Honda Moly paste on the splines and Red Mobil 1 synthetic grease on the Axle and brake caliper bolt. I also put some red grease on the two dowels that hold the mounting plate on with.
After washing up, I read that Silicone grease is recommended.
Will my Mobil 1 Red grease damage the rubber or anything else?
I'd really hate to have to take the whole dang thing apart again tonight:banghead:
Thanks in advance.
Igofar

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Will my Mobil 1 Red grease damage the rubber or anything else?
Yes, it will.

Not only do you get to take it apart, you get to figure out how to degrease the rubber parts without damaging them, and I don't have any good suggestions.

--Mark

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
ooops... me too... didn't think it mattered myself... I guess about 10 Q-Tips should work.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm assuming most auto parts stores will have silicone grease correct? Also assuming it will need to be in paste form.

Is white lithium grease close? I have some of that but in spray form.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I guess I should just shut up and get the right grease.

I'll see what I can find later today. It looks like the boots just pop in/out and some q-tips should work fine for cleaning them out.

I'll update my post on Rear Brake Piston Cleaning w/pics of the grease and what I end up doing.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Might be called something different like brake grease in the autoparts store. You could get in in a scuba shop o-ring grease or maybe a camera store. A Hobby shop would probably also have it.

It wouldn't be in paste form. A little thinner than vaseline usually clear.

I've gotten blank stares in the auto parts place by me.

I might get in trouble here...but I think you'd be ok with dielectric grease. It may be a different viscosity but it's the same stuff.

Grease= oil + soap
Lithium grease would still have the oil in it. That can cause rubber seals to swell and distort.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I might get in trouble here...but I think you'd be ok with dielectric grease.
I wouldn't think so.. is dielectric grease for lubrication? I thought it was more for insulation and corrosion protection.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
It's the same stuff but may have a different ratio of silicone oil (not petrol oil) and thickener.
Then again it may be exactly the same.
Silicone grease = silicone (polydimethylsiloxane) + thickener (fumed silica).

It is a lubricant safe for rubber. Including those LOL.
It's also an insulator (dielectric).
Because it coats surfaces it is also a corrosion inhibitor.

Technically it should only be used on connector boots to help them slide together and apart and also help the environmental seal. Like a spark plug boot, not on the connector contacts themselves. In practice the contact pins scrape away the grease and make a metal to metal contact surrounded by the rest of the contact which is protected from corrosion.

So for the brakes its a lube that doesn't degrade rubber.
The insulating property just happens to also be there.

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Damages rubber over time? Don't like the sound of that.
I forgot I've got a small tub of the stuff in my Scuba/Rescue gear.
Thanks for pointing that out.
I'll be good to go tonight.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Damages rubber over time? Don't like the sound of that.
I forgot I've got a small tub of the stuff in my Scuba/Rescue gear
Got a big tube from my dive teaching days...

BTW, you can also get it at anyplace that services/sells pool equipment as the silcone grease is used for orings on pool parts

Bike
2005 ST1300
Use brake clean to clean all parts,lube caliper sliders with silicone brake grease both these items are available at your local auto parts store . Trust me i'm a mechanic!

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I tried a pep boys, auto zone, winchester auto parts, napa, kragen, Ace Hardware and OSH! None of them had ANY product that said SILICONE and GREASE on the label!
All the brake caliper grease was the Moly, hi pressure stuff, either black, purple, or red.
Since honda calls for it in the service manual, I wonder where they expect you to get it?
the Dielectric grease in the link Mellow provided said it damaged rubber after a while!
I'll try a scuba shop or pool supply store tomorrow since my o-ring lube was for Nitrox and O2 applications.
The quest continues

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
the Dielectric grease in the link Mellow provided said it damaged rubber after a while!
Actually, that link said it would damage silicone plastic, not rubber.. so I think that's okay.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Silicone grease == dielectric grease.
Autozone sells dielectric grease in a pressure can.
Works like a champ; remember that a bit more comes out after you're done with the 'trigger' on the can.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I tried a pep boys, auto zone, winchester auto parts, napa, kragen, Ace Hardware and OSH! None of them had ANY product that said SILICONE and GREASE on the label!
All the brake caliper grease was the Moly, hi pressure stuff, either black, purple, or red.
Autozone has it.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/CRC-8-oz-226-796-g-brake-and-caliper-synthetic-grease/_/N-268d?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=silicone+brake+grease&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=826455_0_0_

Bike
2005 ST1300
I've used Sil-Glyde for years on all my brake work (cars, bikes, etc.) Also is good for a multitude of other things. I get mine from Napa, but it's available other places as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Thanks, I picked up some sil-glyde at the local hot rod shop on my lunch break. I'll try it out tonight.

Top Bottom