Rear Brake Caliper Stopper Bolt....

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Okay, I'm changing the rear tire and reinstalling everything. I'm putting in the Rear Caliper Stopper Bolt and have it all cleaned up and ready to put some Loctite on it. I'm checking to see which version of threadlocker I should use. Low and behold, the torque values for Loctite are in inch pounds, not foot pounds. So what are you guys using for this bolt. If I have it correctly, the stopper bolt needs 51 ft.lbs. I really don't want to put on a permanent bonding threadlocker.

Stumped! :confused:

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
FWIW, I never use any. I just snug it nice and tight and put the cover cap screw on. It's not going to go anywhere. YEMV

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
51 ft/lbs converts to 612 in/lbs. I use Loctite Blue because you can remove it and this is a bolt I remove on a regular basis.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
FWIW, I never use any. I just snug it nice and tight and put the cover cap screw on. It's not going to go anywhere. YEMV
I believe he's talking about the Large 14mm head rear caliper stopper bolt and not the hanger pin. .02

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Okay, I'm changing the rear tire and reinstalling everything. I'm putting in the Rear Caliper Stopper Bolt and have it all cleaned up and ready to put some Loctite on it. I'm checking to see which version of threadlocker I should use. Low and behold, the torque values for Loctite are in inch pounds, not foot pounds. So what are you guys using for this bolt. If I have it correctly, the stopper bolt needs 51 ft.lbs. I really don't want to put on a permanent bonding threadlocker.

Stumped! :confused:
Don't use Loctite red--it would only require "in-lb" of torque to seat the fastener long enough for the Loctite red to bond and hold the bolt it in place forever (or until the bond reaches 500*F)!

Loctite blue, proper for the rear caliper stopper bolt, is what you should use. It may slightly affect the torque required to attain the intended rear caliper stopper bolt load/stretch, however just use 51 ft-lb and it will be just fine.
:yes:

Last edited:
Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Check the wiki I think this is the bolt that has an error in torque value in the manual.

Also, honda and locktite don't agree on color for their thread lockers.
Use medium strength.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Check the wiki I think this is the bolt that has an error in torque value in the manual.

Also, honda and locktite don't agree on color for their thread lockers.
Use medium strength.
Honda's Red is our Blue, Honda's Green is our Red.
I know, they should make Locktite Red, White, and Blue!

Bike
05' ST1300
STOC #
I have never used threadlock on this bolt and have always found the bolt to be very tight when disassembling--even to the point of needing an extension on a cutoff box wrench that I use for this particular application.
Tim Shevlin #1183

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
I just dab a little never seize on the caliper stopper bolt and torque it to 51 ft. lbs. never had a problem

Everything I read says to replace this bolt with a new one when removing the rear tire..... Anybody do this? I can't tell from the Ayers schematic what they actually call the darned thing....and the drawing's too poor to figure it out. Anybody got a part number or name?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Everything I read says to replace this bolt with a new one when removing the rear tire..... Anybody do this? I can't tell from the Ayers schematic what they actually call the darned thing....and the drawing's too poor to figure it out. Anybody got a part number or name?
I've never done it. There's always some loctite still on it and I just reinstall and torque to spec.

The diagram is wrong/misleading but the bolt is item 14
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/48/Year/2007/ModelID/4782/Model/ST1300/GroupID/155061/Group/REAR_BRAKE_CALIPER

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
+1 on the copper grease / copaslip / anti-seize after pulling it out and sitting it in ACF50 whilst doing other work... still a little tight to undo, but nothing like it was when it had nothing on it at all..... okay mine is an 1100 but it isn't so different.... I still apply the appropriate torque...

Top Bottom