Rear brake drag after pad change

OP
OP
I've read the suggested material, bled the system again, cleaned the rear brake pistons and the only difference is the rear bleeder that wasn't bleeding before is now working normally. The pistons in the rear caliper go forward, but do not retract...

I'm now ready to address the SMC. I would just like to know how this could have happened after a pad change when before the change, everything was working fine. Is there no explanation for this?

I've read posts here stating that one should be able to test the SMC from the outside to see if it's stuck. How exactly is this done from a stand still? Does it require the PCV valve to be open as in John's post? Please let me know.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I've read the suggested material, bled the system again, cleaned the rear brake pistons and the only difference is the rear bleeder that wasn't bleeding before is now working normally. The pistons in the rear caliper go forward, but do not retract...

I'm now ready to address the SMC. I would just like to know how this could have happened after a pad change when before the change, everything was working fine. Is there no explanation for this?

I've read posts here stating that one should be able to test the SMC from the outside to see if it's stuck. How exactly is this done from a stand still? Does it require the PCV valve to be open as in John's post? Please let me know.
While I am not in the best of spirits at the moment, since I had my jaw stitched up tight this morning by a surgeon, I am willing to once again try and point you in the right direction, and explain to you what to check/inspect, and assist you with your brake issues. I will not sit here on my phone texting back and forth like a teenage girl, hoping you understand, but will make myself available for a quick phone call to try and help.
Maybe now you'll have the time or energy for that phone call that may help you?
Standing by...
:WCP1:

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
@lostfairing - Larry (@Igofar) is your best resource for getting your brakes in working order. He's forgotten more than most people know about the ST's braking system. I highly suggest that you get with him, and your problem will be sorted out in short order.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Still available on the white courtesy phone if you'd like to call today
:WCP1:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes. there are a lot of possible explanations. I could list them all, but I have already done that in the link that I provided. You really need a dialog - a talk so that pertinent questions can be asked and you can respond. Within a short space of time you will have an answer, or a list of things to check.

You have to put the bike on the centrestand, Put it in neutral and check you can spin the back wheel freely.
Then lie down next to the bike, so that you can turn the back wheel with your foot, and operate the SMC with your hand. The wheel should lock solid and release - with a barely perceptible 1mm of movement of the SMC. it should release the wheel instantly when the SMC is released. Or you could get someone to help. I prefer to feel the wheel lock solid, and prove to myself that I can still get up again from that position.

Regarding the PCV valve being open. You have misunderstood my previous post. You said that you thought that you had a blockage. I was trying to describe how you could find out where that blockage to the rear line was, by opening bleed valves in turn to see if pressing in the pistons will expel fluid. If it can, then that part of the line is not blocked.

But that is why you really do need to have a conversation. It is so easy to misunderstand a post. I assume that Igofar has sent you a private message with a phone number. Call him. Really, he won't bite. Even if he could. (Sorry Larry).

Last edited:
Top Bottom