Rear brake dragging

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
My buddy brought his, new to him, 04 ST1300 over because he felt the rear brake was dragging and wanted to compare with mine. It had just been serviced at a dealer. I rode his and knew immediately it wasn't normal. He said he could hear scraping sounds but very slightly. I couldn't hear them. I put my hearing aids in and still couldn't hear it. All I could hear was wind noise. We pulled the hard bags off of it and I peered under with a flash light. I saw it right away.

It is quite easy to make this mistake. In the picture, the end of the brake towards the front of the bike has a U-shape. Half of it was inside the caliper. The other half was below which allowed the brake to drag on the rotor and not allow the caliper to release all of the way. He was fortunate that it was on the side that we could see. If the pad had been this way on the other side (left side of the bike, facing forward) one can't see it we'd have been going through the whole system, one step at a time. We simply removed the pin, lifted the pad, ensured the left pad was in place and replaced the pin. All was fine after that.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yup... gotta make sure it gets into those notches.

Glad it was something simple.. those are the best ones.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I suspect there may be some words exchanged with his dealer "service" department..... with colour pictures for evidence.... :eek:

That is inexcusable.... the tech who serviced that was clearly not as competent as they should be.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall for that one.....

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
That's one pic I would hand to the shop manager!

Just confirms why I do all the work I can myself... and if I can't some great vids, write-ups and tech meets that are on the site will !

Top Bottom