Rear Brake Locked - Need Help

Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
I've been out of the country for 90 days, ST parked in my garage. Today, upon preparing to roll it off the center stand, I noticed that the rear brake is locked up tight. I have tried to lever the pistons back in, sprayed brake cleaner on them, no dice. The wheel will turn, but only under a LOT of effort. Any ideas would be most appreciated. :(

Bike
ST1300
Try a very short run on the bike circa 1/2 mile with lots of use of the brake and see if that clears it.

Monitor the brake as you do it.

Failing that rear wheel out and caliper stripped and cleaned.

HTH

Paula

OP
OP
ncroadtoad
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Try a very short run on the bike circa 1/2 mile with lots of use of the brake and see if that clears it.

Monitor the brake as you do it.

Failing that rear wheel out and caliper stripped and cleaned.

HTH

Paula
Tried about 1/8 of a mile, no dice. Just got hot...

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Could be a bad Secondary Master Cylinder (SMC) applying pressure to the rear wheel caliper. What happens if you open the bleeders? If the pistons will move back after doing that, then it's probably not the rear caliper but rather the SMC or the rear master cylinder.

If it's still stuck, it's probably the rear caliper itself.

OP
OP
ncroadtoad
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Could be a bad Secondary Master Cylinder (SMC) applying pressure to the rear wheel caliper. What happens if you open the bleeders? If the pistons will move back after doing that, then it's probably not the rear caliper but rather the SMC or the rear master cylinder.

If it's still stuck, it's probably the rear caliper itself.
I'll try and open the bleeds and see what happens. If I can get the wheel to turn, it looks like my extended warranty will come in handy.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
How many miles? Have you ever changed the brake fluid?

OP
OP
ncroadtoad
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
How many miles? Have you ever changed the brake fluid?
Well, I released the rear bleeders, fluid came out and I was able to retract the pistons. I tightened them back up, pumped the rear brakes pedal and they locked back up. Repeated the process, but only applied the front brakes, rears stay retracted.

The bike is an 07 with around 16,000 on it. I have change the brake fluid every year, last change in the fall.

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
It is very possible that the problem is in the brake line. Brake lines will fail internally and allow the fluid to pass when the brake pedal is applied, but will not allow the fluid to return to the master cylinder. I have had this happen on an older BMW motorcycle front brakes, and a Chevy truck. A good friend of mine that used to work on Volkswagon beetles told me this is a common occurrence on them.

Since the caliper released when the bleeder was opened, that rules out the pistons sticking in the caliper. Could be the master cylinder, but I bet the brake line.

Let us know.
Ralph Sims

Ralph Sims

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Could be the SMC is locked up. In 2008 they changed the design to have a slot in the plunger area vs a pin hole in the pre-2008 model ST1300s. Water would collect there and cause issues with the SMC locking up which locks up the rear brake.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
90 days sitting is nothing. My guess is you have a SMC issue. Pumping the front brakes don't actuate the SMC. If you look at the front left caliper you will see the SMC where the top of the caliper bracket connects to the fork. To test SMC operation it is easier to have a helper but you need to spin the rear wheel while pushing on the back of the front left caliper. This sends braking pressure to the rear piston.

This is a well known issue. The SMC rebuild kit is about $50 or the entire assembly $120. These are from online resellers so a dealer would be a little more but you said you are under warranty. It should be replaced under warranty without issue. You may have to show the techs how to replicate and what the problem is. People have chased this issue around before and it pretty much always is the SMC

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
APPLY THE FRONT BRAKE AND ROCK IT BACK AND FORTH TO EXERCISE THE SMC (Left front Caliper) I had a very similiar issue and that and then pumping the rear brake pedal freed it up

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Well, I released the rear bleeders, fluid came out and I was able to retract the pistons. I tightened them back up, pumped the rear brakes pedal and they locked back up. Repeated the process, but only applied the front brakes, rears stay retracted.

The bike is an 07 with around 16,000 on it. I have change the brake fluid every year, last change in the fall.
OK, so if the bike remained stationary during your test, part of the problem must be between the rear master cylinder and the caliper because unless the bike is moving, the SMC would not come into play, even when pumping the front lever. The middle located bleeder relieves fluid from the SMC, while the top bleeder relieves pressure from the brake pedal. Since the pistons moved when you released the fluid, it sounds like the return bleed hole in the rear master cylinder might be clogged. This exact thing happened to my Interceptor and I ended up rebuilding the rear master cylinder to fix it.

A further test to exonerate the SMC would be to check after pumping up the brakes again and going for a short ride (make sure to use the front brake) now start by just opening the top bleeder. If that releases the rear brake, I'd say your SMC is probably OK. If it's still stuck or dragging too much, then loosen the center bleeder. If that releases the rear brake then your SMC may also need attention.

Also be sure to inspect the rear brake lines for a crimps, pinches or any damage. As pointed out above, the high pressures generated by the lever and the pedal can force fluid past an obstruction that the small release pressure from the flexible piston seals cannot overcome.

STOC #
OK, so if the bike remained stationary during your test, part of the problem must be between the rear master cylinder and the caliper because unless the bike is moving, the SMC would not come into play, even when pumping the front lever.
This is not always the case, my SMC piston wound up binding while compressed inside the bore and would not release at all, even with the bike stopped. The rest of your troubleshooting is right on though! :bow1:

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
This is not always the case, my SMC piston wound up binding while compressed inside the bore and would not release at all, even with the bike stopped. The rest of your troubleshooting is right on though! :bow1:
Actually the SMC isn't compressed with the front brake when stopped. The front wheel has to be in motion and that rotates the caliper mount compressing the SMC in normal operation. You are right that they get stuck and that is what we are saying. We are saying if he releases brake pressure at the bleeders and it works, simply squeezing the front brake will not do anything to test the rear brake unless the bike is moving.

Another symptom I had when my SMC was stuck like yours was a rattling sound in the front of the bike that goes away when on the brakes. This was the caliper mount rattling because the SMC was stuck in and there was no spring pressure pressing out on the assmebly when the brakes were at rest.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Understood. But the pressure being held there was released when the bleeder was opened. If the SMC is stuck, there would be no further lock up until the bike was ridden again.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Little story, went for a ride and the rear end locked up solid, had to bleed fluid off the rear caliper to get home. Traced to the SMC...no problems since.

Top Bottom